Ugly Curtains Need New Life!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Okay everyone, little by little we update this circa 1895 home, we have hired someone (yes you read that right, the first time in 8 years, Dh said "a sad day that" to do some work) to paint the tin roof! So ...the upstairs hall has a window (9 foot ceiling) to be re-covered as it has a gawdy curtain that is worn out, ugly and needs replacing! I have not replaced it prior as the section of roof that overhangs the porch is visible and was rusty and ugly.
So, here I am asking for suggestions on what window treatment you would recommend? We would need something sheer as the bright blast of light against the walnut ceiling will blind someone as they proceed down the stairs. It does that to me, so we can't afford any liability with no sheer, although I would love that so the view shows through!
Please have a look at my pix below, and let me know what you think. I know it is hard to say without being here. If anyone is a seamstress and would like to tackle this job, I would be quite happy to pay you for making these window coverings. (No, I don't have a surger or sewing machine currently).
THANKS!
(Images removed a few days later)

Why not make it JUST sheers? it is not a guest room that has a privacy issue. Get sheers with a bit of a pattern in them to difuse the glare.
I just finished replacing my kitchen curtains (thought 16 years was long enough). Turning that sewing machine flywheel by hand to get them finished was a
potty-mouth.gif
!

An asymetrical swag with a decorative lace panel? Most of the time they are draped to trail on the floor but you can pull it up a bit so it doesn't. Is it possible to add a mirror along the stairs to reflect a little more light? The ceiling is gorgeous. Looks a lot like the old Adirondack Great Camps. (And my old barn, if you can believe it. Barns were a lot different back in the day.)

My neighbour just has sheers with a blind underneath. will take a picture she wont mind as they are similar type windows so will be easy to see how it transfers.

Why not make it JUST sheers? it is not a guest room that has a privacy issue. Get sheers with a bit of a pattern in them to difuse the glare.
I just finished replacing my kitchen curtains (thought 16 years was long enough). Turning that sewing machine flywheel by hand to get them finished was a
potty-mouth.gif
!.
Because it is a grand window and focal point up there, so needs a bit of framing (curtain wise). I am anti curtain y'all, just so you know, I would have nothing, if it were my home. In our quarters we have no curtains, only shades.
There really is an awesome view of the mountains etc out this window (I was embarrassed for anyone to peek out before and see the rusty tin roof right there, it is somewhat flat so the worst part of the roof)

potty-mouth.gif
!.
Because it is a grand window and focal point up there, so needs a bit of framing (curtain wise). I am anti curtain y'all, just so you know, I would have nothing, if it were my home. In our quarters we have no curtains, only shades.
There really is an awesome view of the mountains etc out this window (I was embarrassed for anyone to peek out before and see the rusty tin roof right there, it is somewhat flat so the worst part of the roof)
How about an asymmetrical swag with a patterned lace curtain?

potty-mouth.gif
!.
I was thinking about that, it would swag off to the side so the light might not blind you all at once. I am so so very not curtain orientated, I love the pottery barn patterns, vintage, but it is wall papered there so needs some more simple and elegant. I am just not a habadasher.

di-m_1.gif

what about something like this in a plain or nearly plain pattern (minus the plaid shade)?

potty-mouth.gif
!.
I was thinking about that, it would swag off to the side so the light might not blind you all at once. I am so so very not curtain orientated, I love the pottery barn patterns, vintage, but it is wall papered there so needs some more simple and elegant. I am just not a habadasher.
Wallpaper colors? Black or navy blue field? Pink flowers?
I wouldn't get white drapes, they'd never stay clean. But, if the wallpaper is black you could go with silver/pewter. That would give you some sheen, throw a little light around but not get as dusty-looking or be as stark as white would.

di-m_1.gif

what about something like this in a plain or nearly plain pattern (minus the plaid shade)?.
I like that look, but it's going to block a lot of the window. Even without the shade.
The drapery currently sit outside the window and the sheer is the only thing really over it (except the edges of the drapes). I am on JcPenny's website they have a really large selection, I never knew! Chris Madden and more
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?Grptyp=ENS&ItemId=1696ad4&cmOrigId=1a299b6&cmTypeFlag=RichRel&cmCatID=searchresults,searchresults

di-m_1.gif

what about something like this in a plain or nearly plain pattern (minus the plaid shade)?.
I like that look, but it's going to block a lot of the window. Even without the shade.
The drapery currently sit outside the window and the sheer is the only thing really over it (except the edges of the drapes). I am on JcPenny's website they have a really large selection, I never knew! Chris Madden and more
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?Grptyp=ENS&ItemId=1696ad4&cmOrigId=1a299b6&cmTypeFlag=RichRel&cmCatID=searchresults,searchresults
BB&B also has a large selection, at least here anyway.

Okay to match the wallpaper and bring out the sage and brighten the room, I am looking at this in sage with an ivory sheer (panel in the middle) we need something there as the light is pretty vibrants right there. I know it is not very creative, I just want it elegant and simple, not too busy.
175985131666G.JPG

Crushed Voile Sheer 95" Rod Pocket Window Curtain Panel
167945129846G.JPG

I vote for the Crushed Voile Sheer 95" Rod Pocket Window Curtain Panel as suggested by JB. And, I abhor wallpaper! Sorry, but I've removed so much bad wallpaper put up badly in this ol' place I could just vomit. I want to crawl under a table in fetal position everytime I see flowered wallpaper. In all fairness,, though, yours at least looks like it was put up professionally.

I vote for the Crushed Voile Sheer 95" Rod Pocket Window Curtain Panel as suggested by JB. And, I abhor wallpaper! Sorry, but I've removed so much bad wallpaper put up badly in this ol' place I could just vomit. I want to crawl under a table in fetal position everytime I see flowered wallpaper. In all fairness,, though, yours at least looks like it was put up professionally..
HEAR HEAR!
We have removed a ton of wallpaper as well, three guest rooms, and three other rooms. Actually paper over plaster and painted as was the style to cover up imperfections, plus reg patterned wall paper. ugh. We have replaced drywall, repaired dry wall and redone plaster. The joys of a owning a dinosaur.
If I had my choice I would have not an inch of wall paper, but one thing at a time...I tell you the truth, the new owners will have this spic and span in their hands, it almost makes me mad, they can walk in and the marketing, the reno's, the town is even revitalized! We keep telling our kids to grow up and they can "have it" but I think they have "HAD IT!" haha

Okay to match the wallpaper and bring out the sage and brighten the room, I am looking at this in sage with an ivory sheer (panel in the middle) we need something there as the light is pretty vibrants right there. I know it is not very creative, I just want it elegant and simple, not too busy.
175985131666G.JPG

167945129846G.JPG
Does sage match the leaves in the wallpaper? If so, go for it, it looks really smart, simple and elegant.

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but I'm sure Proud Texan will have the solution for you. Be aware that it may involve putting a set of cow horns on top of the window.
I'm just being smug because Arkansas whipped a Texas team today...for a change!

175985131666G.JPG

167945129846G.JPG
Both of these look nice. Did not see this before I sent my e-mail. I would, if possible, extend the rod to the sides so the side panels only cover an inch or less of window for maximum light with the elegant look.

With all the beautiful woodwork that I can see, is the window trimmed nicely as well? I like light airy looks opposed heavy drapry and with the view that you say is out that window, it becons to be seen as someone walks down those stairs.
Why not try some UV film on those panes and use just a nice valance. We put some of this on 2 large double windows and we really noticed the difference in the amount of heavy light (and heat) but it still allows enough light in to brighten up the area without the glaring amount and without the heat as well.
Just thought I would shed some light on another view! (pun intended)

Back