UK B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtatoc

Reaction score
With the recent Jubilee and upcoming Olympics, just wondering how the London area B&B's were filling up. Anyone from there on this forum?

there are only 2 myself and highland john and we are no where near London - however we are both part of a UK forum and stats show there is only a very low number of BB's in London due to the high cost of land however
Wimbledon (of tennis fame) is filling up fast as they are in the 45 minute drive area from the olympic area. Various cities and towns have the training camps for the different countries and they are also doing well either through direct bookings or people being pushed out into B&B's due to the area being busy - so its all good.
However the UK generally is very lucky as we have comming up
Olympics, rugby world cup, commonwealth games, cricket world cup and are currently bidding for the Tour De France for Yorkshire (my county). we were gutted however not to get the Football world cup as one of the venues would have been only 15 miles away and there would have been a ton of business to be had.

there are only 2 myself and highland john and we are no where near London - however we are both part of a UK forum and stats show there is only a very low number of BB's in London due to the high cost of land however
Wimbledon (of tennis fame) is filling up fast as they are in the 45 minute drive area from the olympic area. Various cities and towns have the training camps for the different countries and they are also doing well either through direct bookings or people being pushed out into B&B's due to the area being busy - so its all good.
Olympics, rugby world cup, commonwealth games, cricket world cup and are currently bidding for the Tour De France for Yorkshire (my county). we were gutted however not to get the Football world cup as one of the venues would have been only 15 miles away and there would have been a ton of business to be had..
thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

Olympics, rugby world cup, commonwealth games, cricket world cup and are currently bidding for the Tour De France for Yorkshire (my county). we were gutted however not to get the Football world cup as one of the venues would have been only 15 miles away and there would have been a ton of business to be had..
there are only 2 myself and highland john
I also count the Canadians as being, if not Brit, at least Brit-ish ;-)

Arkansawyer said:
and the Aussies and Kiwis.
Under the crown, whether they like it or not. If Queen E is on their money, then they are.

Arkansawyer said:
Under the crown, whether they like it or not. If Queen E is on their money, then they are.
that's as may be but don't feel they will be benefitting much from the Olympics!

As camberley says, we're a long way from London. I expected to see an increase in foreign travellers both before and after the Olympics, people from the US, Asia, Australasia etc who are here for the games and then want to see the rest of the UK. Hasn't really happened.
We're booked up around that time, but we'd expect to be, no abnormal patterns that I can see.
It's funny, I mentioned Rock ness elsewhere, 35,000 people come to our village for this festival. Whenever people hear about it they say "ooo...I bet you're busy that weekend". Well yes, but we'd expect to be full on any weekend in June. It doesn't matter if there's 6 people or 35,000 knocking on the door, we can still only take 6 guests.

Arkansawyer said:
that's as may be but don't feel they will be benefitting much from the Olympics!
The practically rebuilt Sydney for the Olympics, if nothing else the infrastruture gets a well needed overhaul! I hope you all see some increase in guests and visitors who go for the Olympics and then out to see the country! I know I would if I went...I would be going to Harrogate and then on the Lochness. :)

Arkansawyer said:
Cambs, I have been meaning to tell you there is a Harrogate in TN near the Cumberland Gap (national historical park). History on this gap as this was the Wilderness Road which Daniel Boone led all the pioneers into Kentucky...it is where Virginia/Tennessee and Kentucjy meet at the corner.
When I see it on a map I always think of you!

Arkansawyer said:
Cambs, I have been meaning to tell you there is a Harrogate in TN near the Cumberland Gap (national historical park). History on this gap as this was the Wilderness Road which Daniel Boone led all the pioneers into Kentucky...it is where Virginia/Tennessee and Kentucjy meet at the corner.
I know there is one in the USA but not sure where - I have a google alert set up for my town name and when there was the hurricane time they had a bit of damage so I kept getting updates.
Its kind of cool mainly cos I am super nosey - ie oh they have having an arts festival? everyone is ok after the tornado, like having a favourite town I follow what they are doing? does that seem bonkers? makes me wonder if there is a B&B owner getting my harrogate alerts as well!

Arkansawyer said:
I know there is one in the USA but not sure where - I have a google alert set up for my town name and when there was the hurricane time they had a bit of damage so I kept getting updates.
Its kind of cool mainly cos I am super nosey - ie oh they have having an arts festival? everyone is ok after the tornado, like having a favourite town I follow what they are doing? does that seem bonkers? makes me wonder if there is a B&B owner getting my harrogate alerts as well!
We have the same thing with Inverness, Florida.
regular_smile.gif

Next time we're in Florida I'm going to have my photo taken next to their town name sign.

Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif

Next time we're in Florida I'm going to have my photo taken next to their town name sign.
I can top that - we are about 5 miles away from a small village called Bedlam - its a very popular tourist picture taking spot!

Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif

I can top that - we are about 5 miles away from a small village called Bedlam - its a very popular tourist picture taking spot!
I can do even better than that.
There's a Scottish village called Dull which was recently in the news because they are now officially twinned with the US town of Boring.
BBC News

Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif

I can do even better than that.
There's a Scottish village called Dull which was recently in the news because they are now officially twinned with the US town of Boring.
BBC News
Our guests told us about that! They said other towns were looking for other interesting twinning combos.

Back