Unbelieveable...incredible...mind-boggling

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Ya'll know I'm an aspiring innkeeper. I have read EVERY SINGLE post on this forum. I was actually telling a forum friend that I have this issue with having any posts unread in the right hand column of the webpage...it drives me insane. Anyway, I digress...
I have been looking online at the selection of inns for sale. I came across two on b b on line. com that struck my fancy. Went to their websites. Found a lot of information. Really liked the looks of the inns, the prices, everything. One thing JUMPED out at me as missing on their sites: Neither of them had online reservations OR even online availability. It was "Call or email".... I couldn't believe it!
I have read the debate over online calendars and reservations. I can understand both sides to the debate. It just jumped out at me to see, first hand, that two random websites, with nothing in common to each other, aside from being for sale, didn't have anything to book online.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, as I know this forum can do...just pointing it out and making note of it.

And you then wonder if that has anything to do with why they are for sale. They are not maximizing the potential for guests to book.
As a test, you may wish to email and see how long it takes for them to get back to you. You may find your attention to the details is good for a 20% increase in occupancy right off the bat.

And you then wonder if that has anything to do with why they are for sale. They are not maximizing the potential for guests to book.
As a test, you may wish to email and see how long it takes for them to get back to you. You may find your attention to the details is good for a 20% increase in occupancy right off the bat..
As a test, you may wish to email and see how long it takes for them to get back to you
That's a good idea, as I'm very interested in more information about these two. However, what would I say so that I am not being a pest or being dishonest? I'm stumped.

Hey P, it is okay, beat that horse, new people on this forum all the time and the lurkers. I will make a giant horse shaped drum and we can all have a pow wow and beat them in unison.
Or maybe - here is an idea: A giant drum or horse shaped pinata and fill it full of their money and smash it open hard and let everyone around run and grab the cash. How is that for a word picture?
cry_smile.gif

Maybe those of us who DO have online reservations get the cool guests and those without get all the old stuck-in-the-mudd fuddy-duddies who refuse to use online reservations?
(Yes I am being funny here, not trying to insult. But you have to admit the pinata is pretty nifty)

As a test, you may wish to email and see how long it takes for them to get back to you. You may find your attention to the details is good for a 20% increase in occupancy right off the bat..
As a test, you may wish to email and see how long it takes for them to get back to you
That's a good idea, as I'm very interested in more information about these two. However, what would I say so that I am not being a pest or being dishonest? I'm stumped.
penelope said:
Do a simple rate inquiry for some upcoming month. No need to explain or feel guilty about being a pest or being dishonest. This is a business you might look at to buy. You want to know how it looks from the customer's persepctive.

I've done email inquiries to Inns in our area (under an assumed email address), and fully 50% of them never get answered at all, even by popular and well-known Inns.
Penelope, I have a feeling that you could take an underperforming Inn and perform miracles with it! I hope you're able to realize your dream soon.

I've done email inquiries to Inns in our area (under an assumed email address), and fully 50% of them never get answered at all, even by popular and well-known Inns.
Penelope, I have a feeling that you could take an underperforming Inn and perform miracles with it! I hope you're able to realize your dream soon..
Little Blue said:
Penelope, I have a feeling that you could take an underperforming Inn and perform miracles with it! I hope you're able to realize your dream soon.
embaressed_smile.gif

Penelope,
We are a small rural B&B quite literally in the middle of nowhere. We received about 80% of our reservations through our online reservation service. The other 20% would have made a reservation online but do not feel comfortable doing so. I would guess that about 95% of our guests found us online.
Bottom line: a web presence that keeps up with the current trends and technologies is dang important if not critical.

That's just the type of property you want! If their financials are even decent, imagine what you could do with online rezovations. Also, if they are not doing online rez now, imagine all the other online marketing they probably are weak in.
When I bought our inn, it had a wonderful reputation but the website was bad, no 800 phone number (it was more important back then), and bad online marketing. Once we started changing all that there was a huge increase.
Good luck!

penelope said:
Do a simple rate inquiry for some upcoming month. No need to explain or feel guilty about being a pest or being dishonest. This is a business you might look at to buy. You want to know how it looks from the customer's persepctive.
I sent them each an email at essentially the same time. I wonder what I'll hear back...interesting experiment.
I've researched a few other inns in the NE...it seems to me that they all had online SOMETHING! I liked being able to see how full they were at different points in time. It is a heck of a lot more accurate to see their actualy calendar than to just take their word for it.

Hey P, it is okay, beat that horse, new people on this forum all the time and the lurkers. I will make a giant horse shaped drum and we can all have a pow wow and beat them in unison.
Or maybe - here is an idea: A giant drum or horse shaped pinata and fill it full of their money and smash it open hard and let everyone around run and grab the cash. How is that for a word picture?
cry_smile.gif

Maybe those of us who DO have online reservations get the cool guests and those without get all the old stuck-in-the-mudd fuddy-duddies who refuse to use online reservations?
(Yes I am being funny here, not trying to insult. But you have to admit the pinata is pretty nifty).
How much coffee did you have this morning? I am rolling on the floor in my dirty, sweaty garden clothes laughing out LOUD!! A pinata....too funny.....
Yeah, online bookings, people!!! I got one for 3 nights in September while I was sleeping last night. :)

Penelope, I have a feeling that you could take an underperforming Inn and perform miracles with it! I hope you're able to realize your dream soon..
Little Blue said:
embaressed_smile.gif

A diamond in the rough could be the way to go in this economy :)

I wonder if they used to have a calendar of availabiliy or reservation requests. Some innkeepers I know who had inns for sale would not re-up on directories or services becase they either were optomistic that their inns would sell fast, or they were too uninformed to realize the consequences. One in did sell, but took years and she wound up going back to most of the directories and online availability, the other changed her mind and took her inn off the market and went back to business as usual. They didn't realize that the drop in occupancy would affect the sale, since they thought the inns would sell quickly. They didn't want to have the additional outgoing expenses either. What a mistake.

cry_smile.gif

(Yes I am being funny here, not trying to insult. But you have to admit the pinata is pretty nifty).
How much coffee did you have this morning? I am rolling on the floor in my dirty, sweaty garden clothes laughing out LOUD!! A pinata....too funny.....
Yeah, online bookings, people!!! I got one for 3 nights in September while I was sleeping last night. :)
Samster said:
Me too! And it had add-ons. Cha-ching, cha-ching
thumbs_up.gif

I wonder if they used to have a calendar of availabiliy or reservation requests. Some innkeepers I know who had inns for sale would not re-up on directories or services becase they either were optomistic that their inns would sell fast, or they were too uninformed to realize the consequences. One in did sell, but took years and she wound up going back to most of the directories and online availability, the other changed her mind and took her inn off the market and went back to business as usual. They didn't realize that the drop in occupancy would affect the sale, since they thought the inns would sell quickly. They didn't want to have the additional outgoing expenses either. What a mistake..
aieechihuahua said:
I wonder if they used to have a calendar of availabiliy or reservation requests. Some innkeepers I know who had inns for sale would not re-up on directories or services becase they either were optomistic that their inns would sell fast, or they were too uninformed to realize the consequences. One in did sell, but took years and she wound up going back to most of the directories and online availability, the other changed her mind and took her inn off the market and went back to business as usual. They didn't realize that the drop in occupancy would affect the sale, since they thought the inns would sell quickly. They didn't want to have the additional outgoing expenses either. What a mistake.
or they are hiding their online availability because they are lying about the figures and occupancy! that happens too!

I wonder if they used to have a calendar of availabiliy or reservation requests. Some innkeepers I know who had inns for sale would not re-up on directories or services becase they either were optomistic that their inns would sell fast, or they were too uninformed to realize the consequences. One in did sell, but took years and she wound up going back to most of the directories and online availability, the other changed her mind and took her inn off the market and went back to business as usual. They didn't realize that the drop in occupancy would affect the sale, since they thought the inns would sell quickly. They didn't want to have the additional outgoing expenses either. What a mistake..
aieechihuahua said:
or they are hiding their online availability because they are lying about the figures and occupancy! that happens too!
Joe Bloggs said:
aieechihuahua said:
I felt guilty for thinking Joe's thought, but it was one that popped into my head when I was thinking about "why no online anything"? Then I thought (naive me), "nah, they just prefer to do things voice to voice"
I think either scenario is possible.
To report: the one that I didn't think would reply, has. Very nice email with suggestions about what to do while in the area. Made a point of asking to take the reservation! Good sales technique.

aieechihuahua said:
Joe Bloggs said:
aieechihuahua said:
I felt guilty for thinking Joe's thought, but it was one that popped into my head when I was thinking about "why no online anything"? Then I thought (naive me), "nah, they just prefer to do things voice to voice"
To report: the one that I didn't think would reply, has. Very nice email with suggestions about what to do while in the area. Made a point of asking to take the reservation! Good sales technique.
penelope said:
Joe Bloggs said:
aieechihuahua said:
"One in the hand is worth two in the bush"

I know I said this before but we have talked about selling in maybe the next year. If you are interested in buying. I know it is going to happen but not sure just when I will be ready to go.
regular_smile.gif

Yes yes online booking is so important. We get 95% of you bookings online. I would not even think of not having it.

I know I said this before but we have talked about selling in maybe the next year. If you are interested in buying. I know it is going to happen but not sure just when I will be ready to go.
regular_smile.gif

Yes yes online booking is so important. We get 95% of you bookings online. I would not even think of not having it..
Selling next year??? How about Listing next year? My friend is just starting the process to list his and the realtor said nothing is moving. People are looking, but just say B & B to a bank or mortgage company and they say NO!!!

regular_smile.gif

Yes yes online booking is so important. We get 95% of you bookings online. I would not even think of not having it..
sandynn said:
regular_smile.gif

Yes yes online booking is so important. We get 95% of you bookings online. I would not even think of not having it.
You might have mentioned it before, but I can't remember where you are located. Neither one of us has an email icon under our names, so this conversation might have to be played out for the world to see. :)

Back