Under the microscope

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well I had the call from the d-i-l of the gal who ran me through the ringer over the phone about possibly staying here in June. The d-i-l called to schedule a tour to make sure the rooms are acceptable for her mil. She left a message as I was not here.
I then got myself all worked up before returning her call. I am sure the dil is a very nice person, she just has a monster-in-law scenario.
We have plenty of reviews that say we are excellent, we have a decent website and blog with ample photos and tons of information, and that will have to suffice, I am not going under the microscope for this guest. Asking room sq footage (did I mention that on my other complaining whining griping post? Oh yeah had to know the square footage of each room.)
In this business we are often under the microscope, and for someone to call 2000 miles away and do it, just really puts me off.
How far are you willing to go? Would you allow the guest INSPECTOR to come over and see if you are up to par?

As annoying as those family-guest-inspectors can be, yes, I let them come and check out the place. I give them a time to come and give a quick 5-10 minute tour.
The other question, though, is if you really want this guest at all. She seems to have raised your PITA alert.
And I always think it's a good idea to pay attention to those warning bells.

I did let folks come by to check out rooms by a relative in town. I expect they wanted to "size us up" as well :) It's not something I would do if it was a last minute thing, or if I was busy when they wanted to come by.But as others said...the attitude turns you off...so you may want to avoid the possible PITA.

We had brides call to check out the rooms for prospective wedding guests. They would check out all the B&Bs. It was the locals that just thought that they could waltz in here anytime. I had someone call more than once about 6 months before the date, "I'm getting married downtown here in ________. I'm standing on your porch but no one is answering the door!" Uh, yeah....I'm out running errands!

I tell people to call first to make sure I am home. Yes, much as I hate it, I grit my teeth and show it off - because that is what I am doing. I am SHOWING OFF what a great house I get to live in and I am sorry you do not get to live in a house this wonderful!

I tell people to call first to make sure I am home. Yes, much as I hate it, I grit my teeth and show it off - because that is what I am doing. I am SHOWING OFF what a great house I get to live in and I am sorry you do not get to live in a house this wonderful!.
gillumhouse said:
. . . I am sorry you do not get to live in a house this wonderful!
But they can pay to pretend! (And not have to feed or cleanup after themselves, but let's not mention that.)

Yes I do. And I am happy to do so as long as I have notice of their visit. When people just 'drop by' it does present problems at times but I usually ask them to set an appt. to see them. Sometimes I have had them say just after seeing the entry area, 'oh this is fine, beautiful and I am sure the rooms are lovely too."
It does sound as though this individual may have hit your PITA button in which case I would be full.

We've done it, but I understand the feelings you're having. We often get brides and MOB's coming thru for the tour to see if they want to put their guests here. It's hurtful when I find out they put their family elsewhere, but them's the breaks.
As long as the tour is on your terms, no harm, no foul (as far as I'm concerned anyway).

I've had numerous calls about checking the place out before putting relatives or business guests up here, and I grew up in this town, and the whole town watched the remodelling and the addition I put on. (We're on the main drag) But, ya know, this is the first B&B in town, and people just aren't sure what they're in for, still an alien concept for many, I think. As long as they call before they come, I figure it can't hurt.

Yeah but this is not a bride, or a mother in law or a local, this is a lady from the upper midwest. Locals I can understand, the dil might live here, but let's just say she is not local. To a local a $50 hotel room is way way more than they could ever imagine. This is a different deal, this is a woman with a stick up her
potty-mouth.gif
who will only stay here it if it is good enough for her. (I wrote about this on a different thread - when she wanted to know room sizes, funiture style and age...etc)

Yeah but this is not a bride, or a mother in law or a local, this is a lady from the upper midwest. Locals I can understand, the dil might live here, but let's just say she is not local. To a local a $50 hotel room is way way more than they could ever imagine. This is a different deal, this is a woman with a stick up her
potty-mouth.gif
who will only stay here it if it is good enough for her. (I wrote about this on a different thread - when she wanted to know room sizes, funiture style and age...etc).
If you can, try to look at it this way, the DIL may have lots of friends who might like to visit and she may decide your place is perfect for them instead of the chain hotel. She may hate MIL and send her to the chain place anyway.
I guess what I'm saying is, why tick off the locals just because MIL is an idiot. (Yes, I know the locals don't stay with you, don't refer to you and only want you to donate rooms to all their charities, but this one could be the one who is different.) Hope springs eternal.
Even the MOB's we get here are checking us out to see if we're a 'fit' place to house their once in a lifetime guests. I'll never see a single one of these guests ever again. Nor will the bride's parents ever step foot in the place again. And that has happened with a lot of local brides. You know they don't inspect the hotel rooms, they just reserve a block of rooms. But they have to look us over with a fine toothed comb, opening every door, looking in the showers, etc.
Another way to look at it is to take pity on the put-upon DIL. She probably is as embarassed as can be that she has been ordered to do inspections.
Someone else said recently that the best thing to say is, 'I can only show one room to you, the rest are taken.' Makes them sit up and take notice!

I always hope that when they want I am booked up anyway! you can always hope!

potty-mouth.gif
who will only stay here it if it is good enough for her. (I wrote about this on a different thread - when she wanted to know room sizes, funiture style and age...etc).
If you can, try to look at it this way, the DIL may have lots of friends who might like to visit and she may decide your place is perfect for them instead of the chain hotel. She may hate MIL and send her to the chain place anyway.
I guess what I'm saying is, why tick off the locals just because MIL is an idiot. (Yes, I know the locals don't stay with you, don't refer to you and only want you to donate rooms to all their charities, but this one could be the one who is different.) Hope springs eternal.
Even the MOB's we get here are checking us out to see if we're a 'fit' place to house their once in a lifetime guests. I'll never see a single one of these guests ever again. Nor will the bride's parents ever step foot in the place again. And that has happened with a lot of local brides. You know they don't inspect the hotel rooms, they just reserve a block of rooms. But they have to look us over with a fine toothed comb, opening every door, looking in the showers, etc.
Another way to look at it is to take pity on the put-upon DIL. She probably is as embarassed as can be that she has been ordered to do inspections.
Someone else said recently that the best thing to say is, 'I can only show one room to you, the rest are taken.' Makes them sit up and take notice!
I would bet money the DIL is PRAYING that mil will stay with JB so she will NOT be staying with her!

potty-mouth.gif
I would bet money the DIL is PRAYING that mil will stay with JB so she will NOT be staying with her!
gillumhouse said:
Yes, I think you have that one right K.

Back