Understanding Egg Labels 101

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a rooster to encourage them to lay, but not everyone likes fertilized eggs, plus a heat lamp in winter to keep them popping them out. We never had an overabundance and that was BEFORE owning a B&B. You might need a whole barnyard full for B&B use. haha
Guinea Hens are what you need to eat ticks (I actually wrote a blog article about it as I kept seeing them around here and wondered why).
It's all fun. Even stinky chickens.
regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
You need a rooster to encourage them to lay...
We let about 2 batches of eggs hatch each year, so we always have young hens coming on, and too many roosters. We would never eat a pet, so give the extras away. Apparently there are fellow Arkansawyers who don't mind eating pets.
Joey Bloggs said:
You might need a whole barnyard full for B&B use.
Yes, our dozen hens barely produce enough to feed just the 5 of us. But it would be nice to offer them to guests when you have some (regulations permitting).
Like K., we have city regulations against farm animals in town. But here that's ignored unless a neighbor complains. We're inside the city but in the middle of 40 acres of fields and woods , so we're a long way from the neighbors.
We got guineas to combat ticks. Guineas aren't very smart and will just stand there and let something eat them. We tried several times but could never get guineas to last more than a week here. (we never put them in a pen).

You need a rooster to encourage them to lay, but not everyone likes fertilized eggs, plus a heat lamp in winter to keep them popping them out. We never had an overabundance and that was BEFORE owning a B&B. You might need a whole barnyard full for B&B use. haha
Guinea Hens are what you need to eat ticks (I actually wrote a blog article about it as I kept seeing them around here and wondered why).
regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
We let about 2 batches of eggs hatch each year, so we always have young hens coming on, and too many roosters. We would never eat a pet, so give the extras away. Apparently there are fellow Arkansawyers who don't mind eating pets.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, our dozen hens barely produce enough to feed just the 5 of us. But it would be nice to offer them to guests when you have some (regulations permitting).
Like K., we have city regulations against farm animals in town. But here that's ignored unless a neighbor complains. We're inside the city but in the middle of 40 acres of fields and woods , so we're a long way from the neighbors.
We got guineas to combat ticks. Guineas aren't very smart and will just stand there and let something eat them. We tried several times but could never get guineas to last more than a week here. (we never put them in a pen).
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Okay so the rest of the story when I see the Guineas I usually see peacocks as well. That is probably how they last more than a week.

regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Okay so the rest of the story when I see the Guineas I usually see peacocks as well. That is probably how they last more than a week.
My cousin lives out in the country and mostly to amuse her grand daughter she let several dozen eggs hatch in an old incubator she found at a rummage sale. Then she had to take over her mother's chickens ( got to be too much work for her 95 year old mother).
She has figured out how to put the chicken coop on wheels and it moves around from place to place. The roosters for the most part are now in the freezer. My problem is that she has an egg surplus. If I ask for two dozen I get 6 dozen. It's a good problem though because I give eggs to a friend who gives me home made soap in exchange.
These Indiana chickens are definitely carnivores. They can snatch horseflies right out of the air. The chickens are allowed out of their coop during the day. Unfortunately, they also get into her vegetable garden and even her pear trees.
Every season she figures out a new solution to one of her chicken related problems. This year she's working on keeping them out of the produce!

Charlottesville is more open. They just allowed goats in town now. There are regulations, but at least they are letting families have chickens and goats now.
Riki

regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
My cousin lives out in the country and mostly to amuse her grand daughter she let several dozen eggs hatch in an old incubator she found at a rummage sale. Then she had to take over her mother's chickens ( got to be too much work for her 95 year old mother).
She has figured out how to put the chicken coop on wheels and it moves around from place to place. The roosters for the most part are now in the freezer. My problem is that she has an egg surplus. If I ask for two dozen I get 6 dozen. It's a good problem though because I give eggs to a friend who gives me home made soap in exchange.
These Indiana chickens are definitely carnivores. They can snatch horseflies right out of the air. The chickens are allowed out of their coop during the day. Unfortunately, they also get into her vegetable garden and even her pear trees.
Every season she figures out a new solution to one of her chicken related problems. This year she's working on keeping them out of the produce!
That chicken coop on wheels (and moving other livestock from one area to another) is one of the points raised in Michael Pollen's book about sustainable farming. One of the farmers he interviewed moved the cows into the pasture for x weeks and they fertilize the heck out of it. Which brings the flies, which brings the larva and then he moves the chickens into that pasture and the cows move on. It's operated on a big circle with the animals moving around in pie-shaped areas. No livestock is in the field long enough to destroy it and when they get back to it again (moving in a circle) the grass has grown back.
I imagine it's a lot harder than it sounds, but it sounds like a great idea.

We're considering buying some chicks to start having our own eggs. Our neighbor across the road has a hen house with no hens and in talks with him he's willing to keep the hens if we buy the feed. Of course he can have eggs too, but as a single guy, that's not many eggs!
Do any of you have your own chickens? Do you have to inform your b&b insurance carrier that you're providing home grown eggs?.
Breakfast Diva said:
We're considering buying some chicks to start having our own eggs. Our neighbor across the road has a hen house with no hens and in talks with him he's willing to keep the hens if we buy the feed. Of course he can have eggs too, but as a single guy, that's not many eggs!
Do any of you have your own chickens? Do you have to inform your b&b insurance carrier that you're providing home grown eggs?
We purchased our first chicks last Feb. We have Black Sexlinks, Road Island Reds and some Ameraucana. The Black Sexlinks and RI Reds lay brown eggs with the RI the most consistant layers. The Ameraucana's are Easter Eggers... so we are ready for the holiday all year long. Lots of our guests go out to meet the ladies. DH has built them their own fortress so to speak with a hen house, raised covered pen and a fully fenced yard.
The eggs have a rich flavor and are much heathier than store bought. It is not about the price, it is about providing a heathier choice. And a little something to cluck about on your blog too.

regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
That chicken coop on wheels (and moving other livestock from one area to another) is one of the points raised in Michael Pollen's book about sustainable farming. One of the farmers he interviewed moved the cows into the pasture for x weeks and they fertilize the heck out of it. Which brings the flies, which brings the larva and then he moves the chickens into that pasture and the cows move on. It's operated on a big circle with the animals moving around in pie-shaped areas. No livestock is in the field long enough to destroy it and when they get back to it again (moving in a circle) the grass has grown back.
Joel Salatin (Virginia) is a big part of the sustainable farming movement, often refered to as UHD, Ultra High Density Grazing. It is a lot of work in that a great deal of planning must go into the rotation process, but once you have a routine it works very well. Especially when you have grazers of different types; goats eat different forage than cows, and the chickens are the clean up crew. Amazingly natural and sustainable, some farmers have reduced their winter hay feed to less than 10% of previous years, and have been able to eliminate the manure pond/pile completely, making the whole farm much nicer (smelling).
It is a wonderfully natural process and so simple, one which I will be implementing on my Farm Stay. And you have happy critters!!!!

regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joel Salatin (Virginia) is a big part of the sustainable farming movement, often refered to as UHD, Ultra High Density Grazing. It is a lot of work in that a great deal of planning must go into the rotation process, but once you have a routine it works very well. Especially when you have grazers of different types; goats eat different forage than cows, and the chickens are the clean up crew. Amazingly natural and sustainable, some farmers have reduced their winter hay feed to less than 10% of previous years, and have been able to eliminate the manure pond/pile completely, making the whole farm much nicer (smelling).
It is a wonderfully natural process and so simple, one which I will be implementing on my Farm Stay. And you have happy critters!!!!
Weaver said:
He is a very interesting person and his farm is not far from here. Interesting to note, he used to book tours of his farm. Had the same problems we have!
He is still running tours for kids (schools, it appears, know how to book and arrive in a timely manner)
He still allows "self guided tours"
But when he tried to run PAID tours look at what happened - it appears that people wanted to have him tour them but not pay for it - sound familiar????
GUIDED TOURS:[COLOR= rgb(92, 38, 28)] Polyface no longer offers the two hour $500 personal tours like we did last year. Frankly, these have been more trouble than they are worth. Last minute cancellations and haranguing about the price have made these problematic. We don’t know of another farm in America, or perhaps the world, that offers the kind of open-door policy and transparency anyone can freely enjoy at Polyface. That people routinely accuse us of being secretive, elitist, and mercenary because we charge for education-dense explanatory escorted tours shows a lack of appreciation and understanding. As a result, we will discontinue this service until we can settle on a price, personnel, and logistics that can make these guided tours an enjoyable experience. Thank you and we look forward to serving you in one of our other venues.[/COLOR]

regular_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
He is a very interesting person and his farm is not far from here. Interesting to note, he used to book tours of his farm. Had the same problems we have!
He is still running tours for kids (schools, it appears, know how to book and arrive in a timely manner)
He still allows "self guided tours"
But when he tried to run PAID tours look at what happened - it appears that people wanted to have him tour them but not pay for it - sound familiar????
GUIDED TOURS:[COLOR= rgb(92, 38, 28)] Polyface no longer offers the two hour $500 personal tours like we did last year. Frankly, these have been more trouble than they are worth. Last minute cancellations and haranguing about the price have made these problematic. We don’t know of another farm in America, or perhaps the world, that offers the kind of open-door policy and transparency anyone can freely enjoy at Polyface. That people routinely accuse us of being secretive, elitist, and mercenary because we charge for education-dense explanatory escorted tours shows a lack of appreciation and understanding. As a result, we will discontinue this service until we can settle on a price, personnel, and logistics that can make these guided tours an enjoyable experience. Thank you and we look forward to serving you in one of our other venues.[/COLOR]
Everyone want something for nothing, until it comes to their somethings!
wink_smile.gif

My 'egg lady' returned last week. Price went up from $1.75 to $2/dzn, but I don't mind one bit. They're wonderful eggs, and she delivers them to me each Thursday. This is a widowed lady who keeps chickens and cleans houses to try and make ends meet. Happy to help her out while at the same time we benefit, too.

My 'egg lady' returned last week. Price went up from $1.75 to $2/dzn, but I don't mind one bit. They're wonderful eggs, and she delivers them to me each Thursday. This is a widowed lady who keeps chickens and cleans houses to try and make ends meet. Happy to help her out while at the same time we benefit, too..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
My 'egg lady' returned last week. Price went up from $1.75 to $2/dzn, but I don't mind one bit. They're wonderful eggs, and she delivers them to me each Thursday. This is a widowed lady who keeps chickens and cleans houses to try and make ends meet. Happy to help her out while at the same time we benefit, too.
Holy cow, buy those eggs. Farm eggs here are $3.50/dz. (And everyone wonders why I worry about the price of food, well, there it is. Grocery store eggs are more than your farm eggs!)

My 'egg lady' returned last week. Price went up from $1.75 to $2/dzn, but I don't mind one bit. They're wonderful eggs, and she delivers them to me each Thursday. This is a widowed lady who keeps chickens and cleans houses to try and make ends meet. Happy to help her out while at the same time we benefit, too..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Here in Charlottesville I pay $3 and pick them up at work. At the Farmer's Market they are between $3.50 and $4.
RIki

Check out my Easter eggs, fresh from my hens.... no dyes needed for these and we get them year round.
DSCN4355%20%28640x480%29.jpg

Araucana eggs should be shared as "Green eggs and ham" put some as a centerpiece on the table to show they are green. :)

Check out my Easter eggs, fresh from my hens.... no dyes needed for these and we get them year round.
DSCN4355%20%28640x480%29.jpg
Those eggs are absolutely gorgeous!!! The color alone makes all your hard work with your "girls" worth every minute. How in the world do you even crack such a beautiful work of nature?

Araucana eggs should be shared as "Green eggs and ham" put some as a centerpiece on the table to show they are green. :).
My Mom got some of the green ones in California one year and brought the blown out shells back. The kids took them to school with Dr Seus' book for Show & Tell. I think I still have them!

Back