Unemployed Wannabees, Not Quite Aspirings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many here did training?.
As one that did not - I would recommend to others TO take a course. We did read several books, but nothing is better than taking a course with someone you know has 'been there, done that', even if they also wrote the book! Books become outdated in a bat of an eye in this industry (as well as many how to books). But, I would not say that everything taught is 100% accurate in every circumstance so research in addition is necessary.

Didn't do any training, but did a lot of travelling, I think that gives you an appreciation of what you want and can expect from different sorts of accommodation.
We've run "through the keyhole" type open house sessions for newbies though our DMO, and people always seem to find that very helpful.
Websites and Internet is the area that many new businesses struggle with, it is so important these days. We're lucky in that I worked in IT for 20+ years.
There are several businesses around here that I would rank as better than us in terms of location or guest facilities, but search on Google, TA etc and they are nowhere to be found.

No actual B&B training, but nearly 20 years in the hotel business, most of that in management...and some as resident manager.

Didn't do any training, but did a lot of travelling, I think that gives you an appreciation of what you want and can expect from different sorts of accommodation.
We've run "through the keyhole" type open house sessions for newbies though our DMO, and people always seem to find that very helpful.
Websites and Internet is the area that many new businesses struggle with, it is so important these days. We're lucky in that I worked in IT for 20+ years.
There are several businesses around here that I would rank as better than us in terms of location or guest facilities, but search on Google, TA etc and they are nowhere to be found.
I am with you John. I did not take any training but travelled extensively and knew what I liked, and what I didn't. I have yet to retire and have fun doing this, but also take it seriously as it is what supports my family. Recently took on a marketing intern. Alot of this is learn as you go.

I meant took training..
I took an inspiring innkeeper course in Napa Valley. I think it was just a three day course, didn't focus enough on marketing, IMO. I don't think any training can cover every aspect - that comes with time on the job. I come from a police background, and prior to that, worked in the foreclosure department of a bank. My biggest obstacle in this job has been the social interaction it requires. I enjoy the cleaning, the organizing, the cooking, the marketing, yardwork, all that. The social part exhausts me. I'm not necessarily a people person, but I'm blessed with wonderful guests and it makes it easier, but if I had a partner in this...they would handle the social aspect, for sure.

I did the 4 day "So You Think You Want To Be an Innkeeper?" aspiring course. It's no longer offered, but it was great and very worthwhile. Today's classes need to emphasize marketing, internet presence and websites. Most aspirings have no idea how much time and energy it will take to get noticed once they get their b&b.

I am with you John. I did not take any training but travelled extensively and knew what I liked, and what I didn't. I have yet to retire and have fun doing this, but also take it seriously as it is what supports my family. Recently took on a marketing intern. Alot of this is learn as you go.
domsmom said:
Actually you have made another important point, when the guests are paying your mortgage it's surprising how that focuses the mind!!!

I meant took training..
Two aspiring courses, one B&B financial workshop (I should have either paid more attention or taken better notes for that one...haha!), one PAII conference, and apprenticed with a large inn. We moved a couple of times....

Back