Unexpected Fans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
Sooo....we have FB page. I don't do a whole lote with it, but I try to keep an eye on it. Trying to figure out why some weeks my posts have great ratings, some poor. Watching who "likes" us. You know. Since we are new AND I don't put a great deal of time into it, we don't have a large following, which is okay, One thing at a time.
We were out of town and the hotel we were at was great in some respects, but had very spotty wifi, so I didn't look at the pages for like, 3 days.
I came back to discover we've had a 25% increase in fans...and they all seem to be students at the local high school (which is a block away). Hm.

My first reaction is- not good.
I would wonder what triggered that. No kids at home, I assume. Did you hire anyone? Do a bake sale? Anything like that?
Then again, sometimes it's just kids being kids and not having a clue why they do anything.
About your post ratings...the more you respond back (by name) to someone who posts on your wall, the higher your ratings go. The more you post on your wall, the better, but it is really dependent on getting a response back, either likes or comments and then you responding back to them.
My personal POV is that your ratings go up if 'popular' people comment on your postings. (Sad but true, the whole thing is jr high all over again.)

My first reaction is- not good.
I would wonder what triggered that. No kids at home, I assume. Did you hire anyone? Do a bake sale? Anything like that?
Then again, sometimes it's just kids being kids and not having a clue why they do anything.
About your post ratings...the more you respond back (by name) to someone who posts on your wall, the higher your ratings go. The more you post on your wall, the better, but it is really dependent on getting a response back, either likes or comments and then you responding back to them.
My personal POV is that your ratings go up if 'popular' people comment on your postings. (Sad but true, the whole thing is jr high all over again.).
Interesting about the post thing. Sometimes I respond back by name, but it makes me feel, IDK, self conscious? Lke I'm picking favorites? I don't want to insult one guests by NOT responding to them when I do another...Guess I'll be rethinking that.
I do have kids at home, but no where near that age yet. I've hired no one. We do make a point of sponsoring the local library - it's generally a cash donation with our BnB name/logo splashed around. I wouldn't think that would be a big selling point with teens, tho'.
I also did chat with a nice girl - she's the hostess at the cafe up the street. She's been hanging onto a gc from the previous owners, and asked in a no-expectations way if it was worth anything any more. I told her I couldn't honor it at face value, but I'd try to do something. She seemed really happy. (We'll see what happens if/when she ever tries to use it.)
It's possible one of the new fans is a kids from church. To be honest, I can't keep them straight. I can barely keep my own straight.
I am mostly inclined to think it's the kids having no clue about why they do stuff. But it was quite a surprise for me.

I have a fan on my b&b page and I don't know who he is which is not unusual, but this one is kind of creepy. When I looked at his profile, the only fan or like pages are b&bs, hotels, and amusement parks. His profile pic is of a plain house. Does this seem weird to you? There are no posts, just "likes"

I have a fan on my b&b page and I don't know who he is which is not unusual, but this one is kind of creepy. When I looked at his profile, the only fan or like pages are b&bs, hotels, and amusement parks. His profile pic is of a plain house. Does this seem weird to you? There are no posts, just "likes".
I can't speak to that, BD, but we did get a "fan" who is a creepy person IRL (speaking from personal experience with him). I removed him from the fans. It's simple enough, and I just keep an eye in case he tries to join again.

I have a fan on my b&b page and I don't know who he is which is not unusual, but this one is kind of creepy. When I looked at his profile, the only fan or like pages are b&bs, hotels, and amusement parks. His profile pic is of a plain house. Does this seem weird to you? There are no posts, just "likes".
I can't speak to that, BD, but we did get a "fan" who is a creepy person IRL (speaking from personal experience with him). I removed him from the fans. It's simple enough, and I just keep an eye in case he tries to join again.
how do you remove them? I know how to do it to a "friend", but couldn't figure out how to do it to a "like".

how do you remove them? I know how to do it to a "friend", but couldn't figure out how to do it to a "like".
Go to the page. Scroll down to XX People Like This. Click on See All. In the pop-up, you see everyone's name/id on the left column. To the right of each name/id is a box that says Make Admin, and to the right of that is a light blue X. Clicking on the X will remove the person as a fan.
To my knowledge, it's like de-friending someone: they get no notification. They only find out if they actively go ahead and check.

I found this link on one of the other forums. It's a video about what FB would be like if it played out in real life. You have to realize I'm past 60 now and although I hear "mature" women are one of the largest demographics for FB, after watching about 2 minutes of the video I have again postponed taking the plunge. I won't be joining this month, anyway!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=423147527852

I found this link on one of the other forums. It's a video about what FB would be like if it played out in real life. You have to realize I'm past 60 now and although I hear "mature" women are one of the largest demographics for FB, after watching about 2 minutes of the video I have again postponed taking the plunge. I won't be joining this month, anyway!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=423147527852.
That video is pretty funny.
teeth_smile.gif

The fastest growing demographic on FB is women over 55. I am not the best testimonial for this - I usually have 3 lexulous games going on FB and I do own a farm or two - almost any thing on FB that you find intrusive or annoying can be blocked or ignored. They make it very easy to hide applications (like Farmville) from your status area and you can close any suggestions on the right side permanently by clicking the x (helpful if FB keeps making friend suggestion you want to ignore). I generally treat the entire right side of FB like google ads - only rarely is there anything over there that should be paid attention. If you watch your personal privacy settings, it's really not that scary. I do think having a facebook fan page for your B&B is a little like having a blog - a good idea if you want to increase your exposure. That's just my opinion.

Go to the page. Scroll down to XX People Like This. Click on See All. In the pop-up, you see everyone's name/id on the left column. To the right of each name/id is a box that says Make Admin, and to the right of that is a light blue X. Clicking on the X will remove the person as a fan.
To my knowledge, it's like de-friending someone: they get no notification. They only find out if they actively go ahead and check.
Thanks Jill! It worked great.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=423147527852.
That video is pretty funny.
teeth_smile.gif

The fastest growing demographic on FB is women over 55. I am not the best testimonial for this - I usually have 3 lexulous games going on FB and I do own a farm or two - almost any thing on FB that you find intrusive or annoying can be blocked or ignored. They make it very easy to hide applications (like Farmville) from your status area and you can close any suggestions on the right side permanently by clicking the x (helpful if FB keeps making friend suggestion you want to ignore). I generally treat the entire right side of FB like google ads - only rarely is there anything over there that should be paid attention. If you watch your personal privacy settings, it's really not that scary. I do think having a facebook fan page for your B&B is a little like having a blog - a good idea if you want to increase your exposure. That's just my opinion.
I could not do that Farmville thing or any of the other ones where it posts that your animals are starving and won't someone please help! I don't want to be responsible for virtual animals, I have a tough enough time with the one sleeping under the desk!

I found a cool trick. On your post, if you are referencing a place that has a home page or someone who is your friend, if you type the @ symbol it will pop up a window where you can choose what you want and it will then make their name a link. That way you can include a link to a restaurant or your place when posting.

I found a cool trick. On your post, if you are referencing a place that has a home page or someone who is your friend, if you type the @ symbol it will pop up a window where you can choose what you want and it will then make their name a link. That way you can include a link to a restaurant or your place when posting..
That's cool...I usually just copy and paste in the link into the post and get the link and FACEBOOK puts it's link it too...next time I will save my time and type @ first..thanks:)

I found a cool trick. On your post, if you are referencing a place that has a home page or someone who is your friend, if you type the @ symbol it will pop up a window where you can choose what you want and it will then make their name a link. That way you can include a link to a restaurant or your place when posting..
I noticed that when I was using '@' to save typing. Suddenly it popped in the link to the place I was writing about.

Back