Unfinished Business

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, this is very timely as I have set aside the rest of this week to resolve bookkeeping issues that have been hanging over my head all year. I am DREADING it!!!! But I WILL get it finished!!!!

I feel this pressure when I get all the rooms perfectly cleaned (even deep cleaning like you are doing) only to have a smoker in there that very night and have to start all over again.
The good news today? I have now started my second load of CLOTHES in the washer this morning! YES! I have been doing laundry sunrise to 10 or 11pm every day for a month, so to be able to launder our own clothes without stress and time constraints is a luxury! :)

I feel this pressure when I get all the rooms perfectly cleaned (even deep cleaning like you are doing) only to have a smoker in there that very night and have to start all over again.
The good news today? I have now started my second load of CLOTHES in the washer this morning! YES! I have been doing laundry sunrise to 10 or 11pm every day for a month, so to be able to launder our own clothes without stress and time constraints is a luxury! :).
Joey Bloggs said:
to be able to launder our own clothes without stress and time constraints is a luxury! :)
Only an innkeeper can understand this sentiment! Happy laundering!!

Ugh! I wish we could finish. We are in the middle of a major remodel in our personal space. We gutted our one and only bathroom and have added an adjoining laundry room. It was supposed to be finished last Friday, but rain and other construction delays are pushing completion to probably next Monday or Tuesday. We can use one of the guest room baths when the room is empty, but the last two weekends we've had to shower at a friendly neighbor's house. It's getting to be a drag when you have to walk 100 yards in the dark and in the rain to go to the bathroom.

The Queen of Procrastination will not waste your time with the LAUNDRY LIST of the unfinished and delayed since before the Vets project took off. As the deadlines near and pressure builds, it all seems to get done. (What does not usually did not matter anyway.)

Painting our personal space something other than the basic white.
Purchased the paint for OUR bedroom 2 weeks ago - hope to paint soon.

Purchased the paint for OUR bedroom 2 weeks ago - hope to paint soon..
copperhead said:
Purchased the paint for OUR bedroom 2 weeks ago - hope to paint soon.
Renovating our personal space to match the inn space. This year.

We've been painting our OQ the past couple of weeks. It's tough because we can only do an hour here and an hour there. Next will be wood laminate floors and installing a dishwasher in the kitchen. It's the first thing we've done to the OQ in almost a decade. I can't wait for it to be finished, but it will take some time.

We've been painting our OQ the past couple of weeks. It's tough because we can only do an hour here and an hour there. Next will be wood laminate floors and installing a dishwasher in the kitchen. It's the first thing we've done to the OQ in almost a decade. I can't wait for it to be finished, but it will take some time.
What brand of flooring are you going to use? I want to do prefinished hardwood in my OQ's so it can be refinished down the road. We have laminate in the entryway but I do not think it is a good quality laminate product. Or, it was not installed properly. It makes that hollow clicking sound when we walk on it.
When we redo our living room, we will remove the laminate and put it in a spare room we have. That room now has really nasty carpet, so this will be an upgrade for that room even though I don't like the laminate itself.

What brand of flooring are you going to use? I want to do prefinished hardwood in my OQ's so it can be refinished down the road. We have laminate in the entryway but I do not think it is a good quality laminate product. Or, it was not installed properly. It makes that hollow clicking sound when we walk on it.
When we redo our living room, we will remove the laminate and put it in a spare room we have. That room now has really nasty carpet, so this will be an upgrade for that room even though I don't like the laminate itself.
Alibi Ike said:
We have knotty pine flooring in our inn and I love it and it gets lots of compliments. Does not show any dirt at all. I do know that others had warned against dark colored hardwood as it shows every speck of dust even right after cleaning.
RIki

Alibi Ike said:
We're probably going to use a laminate flooring we found at IKEA. It's lower end, but seems very sturdy. If you go to IKEA, then have this flooring in several different high traffic areas so you can see how it wears with all the thousands of people walking over it. It seems to wear pretty well from what we can tell. We're trying to make our 850 sq ft separate OQs better, but not high end. Anything's better than what it was when we bought it. It was really a dump with old stained berber and very, very old worn out linoleum in the kitchen and bath. We'll probably use ceramic tile in the bathroom.
What motivated us to start this work was that the waterheater flooded the OQs in the late summer and we had to pull out all the carpet and pad (during full houses too!). We've been living on concrete floors with some area rugs. Now that we have time and $ to do the work, it's hunting season here and it's impossible to get any workers to come out! Everything stops in hunting season. LOL What would take a week in city, takes months in the country.

Alibi Ike said:
We're probably going to use a laminate flooring we found at IKEA. It's lower end, but seems very sturdy. If you go to IKEA, then have this flooring in several different high traffic areas so you can see how it wears with all the thousands of people walking over it. It seems to wear pretty well from what we can tell. We're trying to make our 850 sq ft separate OQs better, but not high end. Anything's better than what it was when we bought it. It was really a dump with old stained berber and very, very old worn out linoleum in the kitchen and bath. We'll probably use ceramic tile in the bathroom.
What motivated us to start this work was that the waterheater flooded the OQs in the late summer and we had to pull out all the carpet and pad (during full houses too!). We've been living on concrete floors with some area rugs. Now that we have time and $ to do the work, it's hunting season here and it's impossible to get any workers to come out! Everything stops in hunting season. LOL What would take a week in city, takes months in the country.
Interesting- we want 'better' but not 'high end' also. It's more like an apartment- you want it nice, but you're not wanting to give the landlord all your money to fix it!

Alibi Ike said:
Interesting- we want 'better' but not 'high end' also. It's more like an apartment- you want it nice, but you're not wanting to give the landlord all your money to fix it!
Alibi Ike said:
EXACTLY!!

Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
EXACTLY!!
What I really want, other than having it done over nicely for myself, is that the buyers who walk in don't look around and say, 'A lot of work needs to be done.' I want them to say, 'Wow, this is nicer than a lot of the places we've seen!' Given I saw a lot of basements when I was looking, my space looks good right now even with the damaged walls & floors. But, not good enough for me.

Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
EXACTLY!!
What I really want, other than having it done over nicely for myself, is that the buyers who walk in don't look around and say, 'A lot of work needs to be done.' I want them to say, 'Wow, this is nicer than a lot of the places we've seen!' Given I saw a lot of basements when I was looking, my space looks good right now even with the damaged walls & floors. But, not good enough for me.
Alibi Ike said:
and then they say to you "What can you do to increase occupancy?" and we say "uhhh whuzdat?"
Love having those without a clue come into your place and ask you silly questions. :) Oh yeah, thats right you wanted a $2.5 mil 3 bedroom B&B... DOH!

I know i am trying to get as much done as I can inbetween customers ie painting and sourcing furniture ready for my change of inspector in January. I am generally just being a bit of a snob but I am not going to loose a star over what some daft inspector says. However as we all know guests take a hammer out of our places so I am working through each room taking note of what needs doing and working through it. It is a job of work mind. I am quite pleased in a way though as it is focusing my mind

Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
EXACTLY!!
Alibi Ike said:
and then they say to you "What can you do to increase occupancy?" and we say "uhhh whuzdat?"
Love having those without a clue come into your place and ask you silly questions. :) Oh yeah, thats right you wanted a $2.5 mil 3 bedroom B&B... DOH!
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Ah, at that point, it will be what can the buyer do to increase occupancy, I will have given up trying. In which case, I have a list of things I did not want to attempt because of my particular personality. If the buyer's personality is such that they are more aggressive and gung ho, they can try those things.

Back