Unhappy Camper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry this happened to you also.
I'm a little confused too about if this guest actually completed the check-in process. I think you might have a hard time refuting the charges based on info from the Wise Ones here in the past. It's kind of a "she said, she said" situation. She booked over the phone so didn't have to check off a policies acceptance, she might have signed your book but no registration form agreeing to your policies (like no refund for early departure), and did she actually unload her things?
Tough spot......
Hi!
I've never signed a guest policy sheet, although we've stayed in about 20 bnbs. Maybe it isn't a Midwest thing. Never did in Europe or the West Coast, either. She did not unpack her things, which is not unusual.
remnjava said:
Hi!
I've never signed a guest policy sheet, although we've stayed in about 20 bnbs. Maybe it isn't a Midwest thing. Never did in Europe or the West Coast, either. She did not unpack her things, which is not unusual.
I thought a registration sheet on check in was required everywhere?
RIki
Nope! It is up to each innkeeper how they want to run their business. We didn't have a registration form. I had their receipt printed up and that was what they got when they checked in, signed the guest book and paid.
catlady said:
Nope! It is up to each innkeeper how they want to run their business. We didn't have a registration form. I had their receipt printed up and that was what they got when they checked in, signed the guest book and paid.
Ok, since my business is quite a bit different from all of yours...what, may I ask, is signing a guest book good for? Anecdotal or is it registering? I am confused
I don't know why, but we always required a registration form to be signed but never any policies. thanks in advance
teeth_smile.gif

I am asked when inspected by my Association if I have a Guest Register. I have always had one - statted it jut to see where pwoplw came from. Many repeats, especially if it has been a while, will go to the book to see when they were here last and usually end up saying, has it been THAT long??? Time does fly! Mine is like a guest book for an event. And I put it on the table at breakast to get it signed.
gillumhouse said:
I am asked when inspected by my Association if I have a Guest Register. I have always had one - statted it jut to see where pwoplw came from. Many repeats, especially if it has been a while, will go to the book to see when they were here last and usually end up saying, has it been THAT long??? Time does fly! Mine is like a guest book for an event. And I put it on the table at breakast to get it signed.
Highjack alert...how does anyone feel about having your info available for anyone subsequently checking in to see? I am totally surprised when guests write in our guest books and enter their name, address & email, sometimes phone number. Do they think I'm the only person who sees that? I HAVE that info, why they put it in the book, I don't know.
A simple 'Bob & Mary, Timbuktu' would suffice.
So the guest book is really just that, a collection of names?
I always thought that we have them fill out a registration (it's only a card which no one else sees) so that there can never be a dispute whether the guest has been there or not.

Is it a guest book or guest register...that is the difference
We have a guest book and 1 out of every 15 sign it just for fun. A guest checking out today saw the guests from yesterday 3 nighters are from her area. It is there for nice comments, not as a record of their stay. That is kept in here with me on my software.

We have a guest book and 1 out of every 15 sign it just for fun. A guest checking out today saw the guests from yesterday 3 nighters are from her area. It is there for nice comments, not as a record of their stay. That is kept in here with me on my software..
I'm talking about my guest books in the rooms having all kinds of 'personal' info. But what started the idea was Gillum's guest register that I'm guessing HAS to be signed.
And I have had guests come out of the room with the book in hand and say, 'I know these people!' And then call them on the phone and tell them they are staying in 'their' room.

Good news on the people that did not show or call, she did call this morning and left a lengthy message. Apparently her sister had gotten into an accident in early September (hint) and that she was in ICU all this month and that she knew our cancelation policy but under the circumstances...blah blah blah. Anyway, just to let everyone know, we do send gift certificates to the people that cancel because:
1. We can do so
2. We think that its good sense to give them one or two nights and not on holidays or festivals because they may have had an emergency and could not come whether it was BS or not, depending on the circumstances its our call.
3. In the four years that we've been in business not one single cancelation used their gift certificate to come.
4. I just think that if ONE out of all those gift certificates we give we don't make any revenue on it, the guests that do come might send friends and tell them about us.
Just to make sure that we just might do so because we are not a hotel and we think that if things happen beyond your control its nice to know that someone is not so greedy and mean spirited to at least not make an effort to be hospitable.

We have a guest book and 1 out of every 15 sign it just for fun. A guest checking out today saw the guests from yesterday 3 nighters are from her area. It is there for nice comments, not as a record of their stay. That is kept in here with me on my software..
I'm talking about my guest books in the rooms having all kinds of 'personal' info. But what started the idea was Gillum's guest register that I'm guessing HAS to be signed.
And I have had guests come out of the room with the book in hand and say, 'I know these people!' And then call them on the phone and tell them they are staying in 'their' room.
I have those too - I call them my comment books. They give me a swelled head.

She may have already written the review, so I would hold on til you hear more. Just my opinion. I am so sorry this happened to you! This is always proof for me that there are some really crappy horrible people in this world, we know you and you do not misrepresent, you are 100% genuine! You are a great person!
If you don't have a TA account yet...I would wait..
Nothing for any lodging in her town yet. Let's just hope it is PITA blowing off. Nothing may come of it.
This is our policy once on the booking site:
We do not allow guest pets nor children. We do not allow smoking indoors. For multiple nights, if a guest cancels less than 7 days before arrival, the credit card will be charged. The credit card will not be charged if we will be able to receive another guest for those days reserved. These days will remain as a credit for up to one year. Cancellation is required at least 48 hours in advance, or the nights you booked plus tax will be charged for single nights. If you fail to cancel, no credits will be issued. Your credit card number holds your room. We will ask for the actual payment as you leave. We do not allow candles. Check in is 4PM or later, with check out by 11AM.
Thanks for prompt. Will add something like this to main website. She booked over the phone.
I don't want to come across as mean, but your cancellation policy is very confusing. you have house rules mixed in with cancel policies.
Maybe you would simplify a little:
Credit Card deposit of one night required to hold space. Cancellation less that 48 hours prior to arrival are non-refundable unless we can rebook the space.
I think its a good idea to take the card info upon check in too that is what they do when you check into a hotel - I think people expect it, as has been discussed here many times - sometimes the card does not work, or they could even sneak out early and not pay.
I do not consider your comment mean. I consider it constructive criticism, and I appreciate your input. I guess we just notated our policies as situations came along.
How about:
Your credit card number holds your room. We will ask for the actual payment as you leave. (People believe just because you asked for their card means they've already paid.)

For single nights, cancellation is required at least 48 hours in advance. Multiple nights require a cancellation policy at least 7 days in advance. The credit card will not be charged if we will be able to receive another guest for those days reserved that are cancelled with the above guidelines. These days will remain as a credit for up to one year. If you fail to cancel, no credits will be issued.

We do not allow guest pets nor children. We do not allow smoking indoors. We do not allow candles. Check in is 4PM or later, with check out by 11AM.

P.S. I haven't received email notifications to posts for quite a while now, perhaps 6 months, although I do not post that often. I do have the email option check marked.

I did ask the present guests if they had any problems with the way the rooms were represented on the web and they said they did not. One guest said we were a breath of fresh air. Another place they'd stayed had asked them to switch rooms, then after they'd gotten home, called and said they owed an additional $100!
I would still leave the smoking and candles and kids and pets policy for someplace else on your website. I would keep your cancellation policy as short and as easy to understand as possible.

that is very cool. How big is your head?

After reading those books, it is difficult to get my head through the door. I did not know I was so wonderful! It is a real pick-me-up on a downer day.

I'm sorry this happened to you also.
I'm a little confused too about if this guest actually completed the check-in process. I think you might have a hard time refuting the charges based on info from the Wise Ones here in the past. It's kind of a "she said, she said" situation. She booked over the phone so didn't have to check off a policies acceptance, she might have signed your book but no registration form agreeing to your policies (like no refund for early departure), and did she actually unload her things?
Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
I thought a registration sheet on check in was required everywhere?
RIki
catlady said:
Ok, since my business is quite a bit different from all of yours...what, may I ask, is signing a guest book good for? Anecdotal or is it registering? I am confused
I don't know why, but we always required a registration form to be signed but never any policies. thanks in advance
teeth_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Highjack alert...how does anyone feel about having your info available for anyone subsequently checking in to see? I am totally surprised when guests write in our guest books and enter their name, address & email, sometimes phone number. Do they think I'm the only person who sees that? I HAVE that info, why they put it in the book, I don't know.
A simple 'Bob & Mary, Timbuktu' would suffice.
That is what most of mine write. Name and town, occasionally an address.

I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy? It is the same end result...an empty room. We do not give gift certificates for any type of cancellation. If we are able to re-rent the room they get a refund, if we don't re-sell it they are responsible regardless of whether they cancelled at the last minute or 6 days out..
InnsiderInfo said:
I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy?
I guess, because it's my place and I can if I want to. After 19 years in the hospitality business working for someone else, I love this business the most because it's mine and I can run it as I see fit. Sure, I could be a tightass all the time, but I wouldn't be as happy doing this, I would start to resent my guests, they would feel it, and things would go downhill from there.
I just wondered what the difference was in your mind between canceling 6 days out and/or the day of or no showing?
I don't mind a cancel 6 days out. Some things do happen, as I can attest to, being married. My thoughts are not always my husband's thoughts, although we both agreed to the stay in the beginning. The "6 days" gives me a chance to re-rent the room. There was at least once when "he HAD to get something done," and we rebooked.

Good news on the people that did not show or call, she did call this morning and left a lengthy message. Apparently her sister had gotten into an accident in early September (hint) and that she was in ICU all this month and that she knew our cancelation policy but under the circumstances...blah blah blah. Anyway, just to let everyone know, we do send gift certificates to the people that cancel because:
1. We can do so
2. We think that its good sense to give them one or two nights and not on holidays or festivals because they may have had an emergency and could not come whether it was BS or not, depending on the circumstances its our call.
3. In the four years that we've been in business not one single cancelation used their gift certificate to come.
4. I just think that if ONE out of all those gift certificates we give we don't make any revenue on it, the guests that do come might send friends and tell them about us.
Just to make sure that we just might do so because we are not a hotel and we think that if things happen beyond your control its nice to know that someone is not so greedy and mean spirited to at least not make an effort to be hospitable..
Playing Devi's advocate... how would you feel about someone who cancelled after a snowstorm (I advised the roads were well plowed in my neck of the woods) and then using the credit I'd issued her, booked a night when Miley Cyrus was supposed to be in town. Miley got strep throat (I advised the guest of this the day before) and then she wanted to pick out yet another date in the future? She said she wasn't going to keep her daughter out of school for the make up concert date and book then, since they'd just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii?
Basically cancelled two dates the same day of the booking.

After reading those books, it is difficult to get my head through the door. I did not know I was so wonderful! It is a real pick-me-up on a downer day.
gillumhouse said:
Isn't it nice? We just got a really nice email from a guest who stayed one night only on her way to her 'vacation location'. She said the things we told them to do 'along the way' were the highlight of their vacation.
And another one just came thru that thanked us for lodging suggestions 8 HOURS from here. It broke up their drive back home very nicely.

1. We can do so
Just to make sure that we just might do so because we are not a hotel and we think that if things happen beyond your control its nice to know that someone is not so greedy and mean spirited to at least not make an effort to be hospitable..
Playing Devi's advocate... how would you feel about someone who cancelled after a snowstorm (I advised the roads were well plowed in my neck of the woods) and then using the credit I'd issued her, booked a night when Miley Cyrus was supposed to be in town. Miley got strep throat (I advised the guest of this the day before) and then she wanted to pick out yet another date in the future? She said she wasn't going to keep her daughter out of school for the make up concert date and book then, since they'd just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii?
Was the gift certificate (or credit) for just one night? Did you allow a one night booking during such a popular event?

gillumhouse said:
Isn't it nice? We just got a really nice email from a guest who stayed one night only on her way to her 'vacation location'. She said the things we told them to do 'along the way' were the highlight of their vacation.
And another one just came thru that thanked us for lodging suggestions 8 HOURS from here. It broke up their drive back home very nicely.
These are the things that keep us being innkeepers. These things that we do to make a guest's trip better than they thought it was going to be are also the things that make people think fondly of our States and the people who live in our States. WE are the ambassadors who show (or not) our States off best. If only all innkeepers were as good as we are.... FACT not brag!

1. We can do so
The GC's you issue for cancellations should include more restrictions than those you sell. You should state that they are not good during special event periods, holidays .... any others you wish to include.
Note: when I give these, which is seldom as I do not state anything about GC on my cancel policy, I only allow states M-Th as well as holidays, etc. I will not take $ from my pocket for a time frame I will fill without their 'free GC'.
I also state they must provide the GC # at time of booking and at that time the GC is marked VOID, even if they cancel. I only give a 6mth time frame as well.

1. We can do so
I think if you're going to give out a GC for a cancellation there should be a one time use only attached to it. You book it, that's it.

1. We can do so
I think if you're going to give out a GC for a cancellation there should be a one time use only attached to it. You book it, that's it.
Thanks, Folks, I agree. She asked if she could book yet another time, and I didn't reply to her email. We don't accept kids, but I was making an exception in her case, just to get the credit used up, and it was nearing the end of the "year's window." We have 2 rooms, and I think hers was the only one that was booked. Don't believe anyone booked the makeup date for Miley.

gillumhouse said:
These are the things that keep us being innkeepers. These things that we do to make a guest's trip better than they thought it was going to be are also the things that make people think fondly of our States and the people who live in our States. WE are the ambassadors who show (or not) our States off best. If only all innkeepers were as good as we are.... FACT not brag!
Ok, I didn't want this to be a one-up thing by telling about our experience with literally hundreds of thank you notes from guests. So forgive me if it appears that way.
You are right about these things keeping us going and being able to forgive some PITAs their rudeness. However, I do not have those shnazzy guestbooks in the cottages, that would be presumptuous of me because we, most certainly, are not a bed and breakfast. There are some notes that were written on coffee filters and newspaper, toiletpaper and candy wrapper. I have notes in all sizes and shapes, really fun.
At one time I had so many thank you notes that I thought the only way to deal with them is to decoupage them onto my office walls and desk. People that check in have fun reading some of them and it makes for a quirky office decor. I am afraid I am getting tired of the look though and will have to do something about it this winter.
oh and why I posted this to begin with, you are right we are ambassadors for states as well as fellow business owners ;)

gillumhouse said:
Ok, I didn't want this to be a one-up thing by telling about our experience with literally hundreds of thank you notes from guests. So forgive me if it appears that way.
You are right about these things keeping us going and being able to forgive some PITAs their rudeness. However, I do not have those shnazzy guestbooks in the cottages, that would be presumptuous of me because we, most certainly, are not a bed and breakfast. There are some notes that were written on coffee filters and newspaper, toiletpaper and candy wrapper. I have notes in all sizes and shapes, really fun.
At one time I had so many thank you notes that I thought the only way to deal with them is to decoupage them onto my office walls and desk. People that check in have fun reading some of them and it makes for a quirky office decor. I am afraid I am getting tired of the look though and will have to do something about it this winter.
oh and why I posted this to begin with, you are right we are ambassadors for states as well as fellow business owners ;)
Iris, I stayed at a cabin the summer before last and in that cabin was a guest book. Instead of the usual comments, someone began and turned it into a "neat things to see/find" book. So I did the same thing here in our guest rooms. Each room has different things to see written by the guests and it is fascinating. "Don't miss the swinging foot bridge over the water at..." and other little comments of cool places people have visited. A couple rooms never really got off the ground on the idea, but the others sure did and it is really fun to read what guests have found.
So just to tell you I borrowed that idea was a state park cabin. :)

gillumhouse said:
Iris, I stayed at a cabin the summer before last and in that cabin was a guest book. Instead of the usual comments, someone began and turned it into a "neat things to see/find" book. So I did the same thing here in our guest rooms. Each room has different things to see written by the guests and it is fascinating. "Don't miss the swinging foot bridge over the water at..." and other little comments of cool places people have visited. A couple rooms never really got off the ground on the idea, but the others sure did and it is really fun to read what guests have found.
Joey Bloggs said:
that sounds positively charming. I am thinking of taking that idea and running with it. Thank you so much!

Back