Unhappy Guests Want Discount

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmBrdIn

Reaction score
So here's the situation. We do a number of events here including weddings which, as you can assume, means a reception usually with music after the ceremony. When we have such events and the group having the wedding doesn't rent out all the rooms, we do make sure to notify all the other guests who book that weekend that a wedding will be held so they know in advance of arrival and have the option to cancel or book another date.

Here's the question I have for anyone else doing events like this. Even with notification to other guests, a guest complains that, at 6:00pm, they had wanted to take a nap before dinner and the music was disturbing them. While they were understanding that it was a wedding and they were not looking to have them turn the music down at 6pm, they did say that for their disappointment and inability to take a "before dinner nap", they would like a discount.
If you were in this situation, how would you respond?

The answer is no! They knew there was going to be a wedding and reception. reception = NOISE & MUSIC! That should have been a tip-off in advance that a before dinner nap may not be possible. Perhaps they should have brought (or asked for) ear plugs.

Years ago (before my B & B) I reserved 2 rooms at an elegant mansion in Memphis for some friends and us. They DID NOT tell us there was going to be a reception in the first floor area (it was lovely and we sure would have liked to have enjoyed it.). We felt like we would be crashing the party to even go though it to go out to dinner - we ordered a pizza delivery, stayed in the cramped little area on our floor, and had to listen to merry-makers going up and down the stairs most of the night. THAT was a total disappointment and no discount was offered (I never thought of asking for one - AND it was pre-paid!)

Yours were warned.

I agree with Gillumhouse. They were told in advance and given options.
Some people just ask anyway, because they might get the discount, and if they don't, it doesn't hurt to ask. I would NEVER ask, but some will ALWAYS ask!

People always want everything to go in their favor, even if they don't deserve it. That's not realistic.

I wouldn't give a discount either, because
a) they were warned
b) 6 pm should not be considered quiet time

That raises an interesting thought/idea: "Quiet Time". I don't have a formally established "Quiet Time" rather it's assumed after 10pm. Anyone have that listed/written down in a formal manner?

We list a quiet time of 10pm to 7 am. It’s a line item under no smoking and above do not feed the cat or fish.

One way to avoid future instances like this is to “double inform.” Upon check in, or on the day of the event, put a flyer either in the guests hand or on the bed say8ng something similar to, “ as a reminder, the inn is hosting a wedding this afternoon between 5 and 10 pm on the east lawn. The south patio will still be available to you for your convenience.”

Customer relations ... generally I do not respond kindly to requests for a rebate (i.e. post-sale discount). They are very rare. Sometimes I'll offer something extra if an issue arises.
That said, we do weddings and we require that the wedding party book the entire Inn for the weekend. It's 5-rooms, 2-room guest house separate and optional. It makes a great big house party and avoids the situation you describe. But I'm small.
In your case, the advance notice is good (and necessary), but I suggest you cement it in advance with some concrete token, saying, the wedding folks will be having fun but we know there will be some inconvenience to you, so we'll have a bottle of chilled sparkling wine just for you, or ... we've discounted the reservation by $10, or ... whatever token works. They get something; all done. After all, how much $$ is a missed nap?

ah ive just had something a little similar and I'm weak and susceptible to worrying about bad reviews...
Guest complained that they needed to use the guest lounge for a work call and another guest had the TV on in there. She wanted a discount because it impacted her work. I don't offer conference facilities anywhere on our website.
I sympathised, but said we don't offer conference facilities and the guest lounge is available to all guests to enjoy however they see fit outside of 'quiet time' (7AM - 11PM).
Another guest having the guest lounge TV on before 11pm is within the bounds of acceptable use according to our 'quiet time' policy, but I'm happy to offer you a 5% discount on a future booking. (Which, btw, is the same discount we offer to anyone coming direct)
She was still unhappy, but at least I was a little more comfortable to repeat the above if she ever gets round to slating me on tripadvisor.

However - this has reminded me I need to do a better job at our booking policy, and make it a bit more watertight.

ah ive just had something a little similar and I'm weak and susceptible to worrying about bad reviews...
Guest complained that they needed to use the guest lounge for a work call and another guest had the TV on in there. She wanted a discount because it impacted her work. I don't offer conference facilities anywhere on our website.
I sympathised, but said we don't offer conference facilities and the guest lounge is available to all guests to enjoy however they see fit outside of 'quiet time' (7AM - 11PM).
Another guest having the guest lounge TV on before 11pm is within the bounds of acceptable use according to our 'quiet time' policy, but I'm happy to offer you a 5% discount on a future booking. (Which, btw, is the same discount we offer to anyone coming direct)
She was still unhappy, but at least I was a little more comfortable to repeat the above if she ever gets round to slating me on tripadvisor.

However - this has reminded me I need to do a better job at our booking policy, and make it a bit more watertight.
The guest could not use their own room for a phone call? That’s just looking for an excuse.

Her room, her car, the porch..... lots of places to make/take a phone call. YOU are not responsible for a guest's work requirements. (Take her to the dining room - it is a room. Lounge not promised.)

Thanks for reinforcing why we’re require wedding parties here to rent out the entire inn.

Thanks for reinforcing why we’re require wedding parties here to rent out the entire inn.
This is usually the case here where the wedding party rents out the entire Inn. However, on rare occasions we have locals who only want a room or two because all the guests are also locals.

99% of the time, when we have an event here and all the guests staying are not participating in the event, they're all cool with it. We promise them it won't go past 10pm (at 9:30 we start having them tone things down and that's explained to them when they sign the event contract), and it seems to work out.

This was a rare situation where they wanted "quiet time" at 6pm. Pretty unrealistic overall. Oh, and her husband was not happy that she complained and apologized. Gott wonder what's going on there... on NOT going on? lol ;)

I think the timing of their request for a rebate is important, if they complained after the fact then I was denied a chance to remedy the ‘problem’ and if they complained to me at 6, I would have told them to pack up and go with a full refund because they can’t leave a bad review if they haven’t spent the night.

I had a couple once complain they couldn’t be ’intimate’ 🤦🏻‍♂️ because their ground level room adjoined a parlor with three people talking that they could slightly hear. No problem, I told them that I wouldn’t be able to help them and said they should leave that afternoon with a pro-rated refund for the 3 hours they were there.

I’m pretty easy going but when my instinct tells me they are a problem I don’t hesitate to nip it and send them off before sleeping and complaining on ‘trippy’ or someplace else!

I think the timing of their request for a rebate is important, if they complained after the fact then I was denied a chance to remedy the ‘problem’ and if they complained to me at 6, I would have told them to pack up and go with a full refund because they can’t leave a bad review if they haven’t spent the night.

I’m pretty easy going but when my instinct tells me they are a problem I don’t hesitate to nip it and send them off before sleeping and complaining on ‘trippy’ or someplace else!
You’re mistaken about writing bad reviews being limited to guests who stay the night. Review sites consider Any interaction with you as enough contact to write a review. Lousy telephone manner? Ok to review. Crabby front desk interaction from you? Ok to review. Didn’t like the room and left? Ok to review.

Don’t let that impact how you act, but keep it in mind so you’re not blindsided when it happens.

You’re mistaken about writing bad reviews being limited to guests who stay the night. Review sites consider Any interaction with you as enough contact to write a review. Lousy telephone manner? Ok to review. Crabby front desk interaction from you? Ok to review. Didn’t like the room and left? Ok to review.

Don’t let that impact how you act, but keep it in mind so you’re not blindsided when it happens.

I had a 1 Star no comment Titled: Never Stayed there. They can review any thing any time.

I fought one on Exped* and won, claiming that they can’t review a stay that never happened but I suppose it depends on the circumstances.. I can be a little tenacious at times!

Back