Unhappy guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
If you have guests who seem remarkably unhappy, do you try to find out why? They were like this when they walked in. One of them didn't touch breakfast today.

I don't and I remember someone on here did tried everything and it turned out they were there for a funeral and they felt awful. some people are just determined to be mizerable and there is nothing you can do. I had a chap like that and he wrote me a lovely review so there you go.

If they came to you that way, don't ask. It is their problem not yours.

Leave them alone after inquiring if there is anything you might be able to do to make their stay more comfortable.
We have had quests so miserable that we sent them out to breakfast rather than have them at the table spoiling it for the other guests. Some people are just not in a good place, perhaps with good reason, which may have absolutely nothing to do with us!

Miserable guests:
  1. she started her monthly
  2. bad news from home
  3. bad news from work/lawyer
  4. celebrating a sad day in their life (getting away from home on the anniv of a death in the family)
  5. just unhappy people all round
  6. they are in the middle of a marital fight
  7. they hate each other
  8. they are visiting someone they hate
  9. they are getting text messages from someone who hates them and is ruining their time away
  10. they have depression and are off their meds
  11. they don't want to be there
  12. they are having financial difficulties and found out they can't pay you
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

You've heard "misery loves company"? If we have had unhappy guests, they usually tell us right of the bat what's bugging them or they stay in their room the whole time.

Left without a word. Walked out around 9 AM, came back 2 hours later, dropped key on desk and they were gone.

Left without a word. Walked out around 9 AM, came back 2 hours later, dropped key on desk and they were gone..
Madeleine said:
Left without a word. Walked out around 9 AM, came back 2 hours later, dropped key on desk and they were gone.
and she puzzled and puzzled til her puzzler was sore...

I hate the silence act... you have no idea if it is you, the B&B or something between them!
But then you have the ones I just had walk in the door. The wife keeps making negative comments to hubby - about HIM. 'You can't do anything right', 'I knew you would loose it', bet you already forgot how to use the code'. Lovely, just what I want around here! At least they have gone out to the city and maybe we won't see them again til breakfast.

Left without a word. Walked out around 9 AM, came back 2 hours later, dropped key on desk and they were gone..
Madeleine said:
and she puzzled and puzzled til her puzzler was sore...
You know how it is...they didn't eat the food but never said they had issues; they didn't smile at us but seemed ok with each other; they had no interest on arrival in anything we had to say; didn't talk to any of the other guests. Insisted they had paid in full when they made the reservation so couldn't find a credit card when asked at check-in.

I hate the silence act... you have no idea if it is you, the B&B or something between them!
But then you have the ones I just had walk in the door. The wife keeps making negative comments to hubby - about HIM. 'You can't do anything right', 'I knew you would loose it', bet you already forgot how to use the code'. Lovely, just what I want around here! At least they have gone out to the city and maybe we won't see them again til breakfast..
copperhead said:
But then you have the ones I just had walk in the door. The wife keeps making negative comments to hubby - about HIM. 'You can't do anything right', 'I knew you would loose it', bet you already forgot how to use the code'. Lovely, just what I want around here! At least they have gone out to the city and maybe we won't see them again til breakfast.
Worse case scenario, and they have not been back by the way, couple from Tampa whose son is the star (actually all-star) running back at the local college. I go to remove their plates as she states they are done. I reach for his and he scoops up his piece of bacon and she slaps his hand. I was never so embarrassed in my life. Then she begins the lecture... I take the plates and walk away and leave them to it. I felt really horrid. He was also a former pro-ball player, a good looking manly man, I am sure that was a pleasant ride back to FLA after that...

But then you have the ones I just had walk in the door. The wife keeps making negative comments to hubby - about HIM. 'You can't do anything right', 'I knew you would loose it', bet you already forgot how to use the code'. Lovely, just what I want around here! At least they have gone out to the city and maybe we won't see them again til breakfast..
copperhead said:
Worse case scenario, and they have not been back by the way, couple from Tampa whose son is the star (actually all-star) running back at the local college. I go to remove their plates as she states they are done. I reach for his and he scoops up his piece of bacon and she slaps his hand. I was never so embarrassed in my life. Then she begins the lecture... I take the plates and walk away and leave them to it. I felt really horrid. He was also a former pro-ball player, a good looking manly man, I am sure that was a pleasant ride back to FLA after that...
Sounds like some friends of ours. We were at a festival and it was lunch time so I said lets go over to the xxx restaurant down the block. He starts to get up and she grabbed his arm and asked where he was going. He immediately sat down again. She watches his diet like a hawk too. I would not embarrass my husband that way - no mater how badly I was fuming internally.
edited to add: twas not them. They had no kids and he is a brainiac not a jock.

We had a couple like this, once... at check-in. It had to do with not being able to find parking for their vehicle on the street... even though no one has vehicles that large here in the city. Her attitude was so pervasive that I realized immediately I was better off letting them go, than ruining everyone else's weekend.
I'm sorry you had to go through this. But it really is nothing you can do about it, because there is no way to know what caused it. You know what they say, you create your own reality and some people just seem to create the worst reality for themselves.
I'm sure you've meet them. And I see from the descriptions on here, many people have met them. You know, the person who might actually shatter their face if they smiled because the scowl is just permanently on there. The people who worry about all the possibilities of bad things happen and forget to live in the moment.

Back