University is outsourcing preferred lodging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawley

Reaction score
Yellowsocks has a deal. Her college gladly links to her bnb for free.
Uof NE is using a directory that is doing many major universities. They charge $100 a month for hotels and motels and BNB's with 5 rooms or less are $25 a month.
I felt like I had to sign up because I am just 2 blocks from dorms and 6 blocks from the edge of campus. So, we will see if it brings more business. There is a 30 day notice to opt out, so if it doesn't bring business I can quit it. They charge once a year, so I will have to pay them in January for 2009 and they said when it goes up before that in 2008 there will be no charge.
From the web site, they fill out a form that is sent to my email for request of a room. We are to respond in 24 hours. They can also contact us directly and there is a connection to our web site.
I will need to have 3-4 rooms a year from this to pay for it. If I register the person from an email, I will know they came from the site, but won't know if others call or email me from my own site. I was thinking that I should let it run the full year to see what I get from it.
I am thinking that this might be my best referrer next to my own web site. What do you think?

I am thinking that this might be my best referrer next to my own web site. What do you think?
I think I need to see their website to even begin answering that ;) LOL

I think it's an absurd money grab on the part of the college/university. It should be an 'amenity' they offer to prospective parents, etc. 'Here's a list of places to stay.' Free to all.

There is more to it than the service to visitors..that is more of a side effect. The main reason is that campus travel functions like a GDS internal to the colleges involved.
http://www.campustravel.com/corporate/who.htm
The creation of a list of the places on the website is just a small addition to get places to list with them.
However, on a good note, the page has some decent value and uses a direct link to your site so it could do bring some search engine value in addition to any traffic from the college. It is admirable that they list the B&B on the same page with the hotel big dogs as opposed to burying the B&Bs on a separate page.
Here is an example of one of the B&B pages they put together.
http://www.campustravel.com/university/tulane/avenueinn.html
You'll have to keep us posted what kind of investment you have found it to be.

The local college in our area has a page on their website for lodging. The only problem is that it is dead. There are no links. There is no contact information for ANY one. It would be a great idea...if it is honest

$25/month! Man, that's terrible!
I didn't know I was getting such a sweet deal.
I do get bookings from it. Even more, I get bookings from the parent's weekend and homecoming mailings they send out. They even called me and asked if I'd like to be listed. Are you kidding? Of course I would!!!!
If the page has any kind of functionality (i.e., it's not so buried that no one can find it) and leads to bookings, then it's worth it, but still irksome that you have to pay.
=)
Kk.

I don't believe that University of Virginia would even let us pay to be on their website.
RIki

I don't believe that University of Virginia would even let us pay to be on their website.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Our local college has a directory given to parents and students that they expect us to pay $500 to be in for lodging. NO WAY NO HOW. I have the internet and market the area, so parents can google and find us! I refuse to pay that every year and then have all the bookings fall on teh same booked up weekends anyway.

Back