Unlicensed B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
How strict is your town/county when it hears of an unlicensed B&B setting up shop? What about other types of transient housing such as Vacation rentals?
This area has seen an influx in especially vacation rentals. We are spotting them on the internet when we do searches. Some are in residentual subdivisions, some not. But they are renting out for short term stays. Our association has been working this issue to no avail at this point. The owners, some which own several rentals, are set up under a business names but are not collecting taxes which I would think would be the main reason our enforcement should pursue this matter.

Sic the state on them for tax evasion. In this economy, every penny counts. Sic the feds on them because you know they aren't reporting this as income, either.

Nothing bugs me more than people and businesses that avoid paying the same taxes I have to pay. I brought my kids up to know that we are of the variety that gets caught if we spit on the sidewalk so stay honest and you don't have to worry about it.
Those who maintain avoiding taxes does not hurt anyone are very wrong - our towns cannot provide services without the taxes we pay. Therefore, I am a firm believer in reporting non-payers and I do not feel like a rat-fink tattle-tale when I do it (if I could).
I firmly believe only politicians and thugs can avoid paying taxes and not see the inside of the slammer!

A few years ago our association told the local authorities of an apartment complex that was renting weekly..they even had a banner on the building stating such. They sent a uniformed employee over to question them. The response we received was that they do not rent by the week....OK so what is that large white sign with red letters that can be seen from the interstate???

A few years ago our association told the local authorities of an apartment complex that was renting weekly..they even had a banner on the building stating such. They sent a uniformed employee over to question them. The response we received was that they do not rent by the week....OK so what is that large white sign with red letters that can be seen from the interstate???.
Copperhead said:
A few years ago our association told the local authorities of an apartment complex that was renting weekly..they even had a banner on the building stating such. They sent a uniformed employee over to question them. The response we received was that they do not rent by the week....OK so what is that large white sign with red letters that can be seen from the interstate???
Is that illegal to rent weekly? In Australia that is how you pay your rent, weekly. So when you see a place for rent the $ quoted is a weekly rate. I used to have to explain that to people all the time, NO that is not a beachfront house for $500 a month, it is a week!

Pretty strict!!! And the other B & B owners wouldn't let them get away with it!!! We are small enough that we know everyone and everyone else:) Someone would turn them in..for sure!!!

A few years ago our association told the local authorities of an apartment complex that was renting weekly..they even had a banner on the building stating such. They sent a uniformed employee over to question them. The response we received was that they do not rent by the week....OK so what is that large white sign with red letters that can be seen from the interstate???.
Copperhead said:
Is that illegal to rent weekly? In Australia that is how you pay your rent, weekly. So when you see a place for rent the $ quoted is a weekly rate. I used to have to explain that to people all the time, NO that is not a beachfront house for $500 a month, it is a week!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Copperhead said:
It is not illegal to rent weekly but there is a different tax structure based on the type of rental establishment as well as different zoning laws and they must be licensed accordingly. Hotels/Motels and B&B's are transient lodging - renting nightly, weekly...clause states that rents are limited to under 30 days and occupancy and sales taxes are collected. Appt.s on the otherhand are considered long term rentals, 30 days or more and are not subject to collect occupancy or sales taxes.
The appt. complex in question was renting furnished appts by the week (according to the sign) thus marketing to a transient client and should be subject to collecting appropriate taxes.

Pretty strict!!! And the other B & B owners wouldn't let them get away with it!!! We are small enough that we know everyone and everyone else:) Someone would turn them in..for sure!!!.
You can't always start legal

Pretty strict!!! And the other B & B owners wouldn't let them get away with it!!! We are small enough that we know everyone and everyone else:) Someone would turn them in..for sure!!!.
swilson said:
Excuse me? Is that meant to mean you asked forgiveness rather than permission? People have lost their life's savings going at a business proposition that way.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

swilson said:
Excuse me? Is that meant to mean you asked forgiveness rather than permission? People have lost their life's savings going at a business proposition that way.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
That I did. 10 year fight. Just got approved for cup last year. When you are between a roack and a hard place...you do what you gotta do...but I'm a perseverer...and a pain in the butt to the county. Giving up was not an option.
People that lose are usually losers.
"People have lost their life's savings going at a business proposition that way."
Walt disney went bk more than once before building disneyland.

swilson said:
You can't afford not to in my opinion.
Not only are there legal ramifications in some regions, but IF you are doing so without obtaining the right type of Insurance, you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Most 'homeowner' insurance would be VOID if a paying overnight guest files an injury claim, thus leaving the homeowner at risk of loosing everything. Also FYI, an insurance company will void any claim if they find out someone is operating a business in their home which clients come and go. Operating this type of business illegally places everything you have worked for at risk...

swilson said:
Not only are there legal ramifications in some regions, but IF you are doing so without obtaining the right type of Insurance, you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Most 'homeowner' insurance would be VOID if a paying overnight guest files an injury claim, thus leaving the homeowner at risk of loosing everything. Also FYI, an insurance company will void any claim if they find out someone is operating a business in their home which clients come and go. Operating this type of business illegally places everything you have worked for at risk...
If you are not a risk taker you need to do it by the book.

swilson said:
This forum has many aspiring innkeepers coming here for good sound advise. One of the main reasons for my post is to let those out there know the RISK is HIGH if they follow your lead and do this without licensing. This risk you took should not be recommended to anyone, and I do not think that it would be recommended by many (if any other) innkeepers that post here.

swilson said:
This forum has many aspiring innkeepers coming here for good sound advise. One of the main reasons for my post is to let those out there know the RISK is HIGH if they follow your lead and do this without licensing. This risk you took should not be recommended to anyone, and I do not think that it would be recommended by many (if any other) innkeepers that post here.
You are correct. If you don't have the stomach and wherewithall for it, and are not willing to risk everything you own, don't do it. On the other hand, if it is you ONLY option when the government decides to make your choices for you as in my case, then if you are not afraid of uncle sam, and I've learned to not be afraid of them, then you do what you have to do.
Things in life are not all cut and dried, and just because the government say so and so, does not necessarily make it the right choice, and last time I checked they are voted in BY the people FOR the people. So if you want something changed, sometimes you just gotta get into the thick of it.
That said, I'd say you are right. 90% of the people out there would never have done what I did, and never should have. Rule followers and people that cannot think outside the box or think critically should not apply. You CAN LOSE EVERYTHING! And if that stuff is what is closest to your heart and you are really worried about losing it and believe you can't succeed all over again you should probably go buy a b&b turn key.
Besides, I'd imagine anyone on this list that is selling their b&b would be a whole lot smarter buy than doing it my way. Turn key, customers coming in the door the first day you are in business, all the hard learned lessons by prior owners in the past, etc etc etc. If I was looking to run a b&b in another location I'd look for a turn key deal. I only did it that way because I had to. The government forced my hand.

swilson said:
Please do noit take this personally - you did what you did and that is YOUR problem.
However, MY personal opinion is that anyone who does not do this LEGALLY is an IDIOT!!! For the health and safety of your guests - ASPIRINGS ARE YOU LISTENING?? - you must have all permits and licenses. It has nothing to do with taking a risk - we all take a risk just by being innkeepers in the first place. Do not for one minute think i am not a risk taker - I did a start-up in a town where people thought I was deranged when I opened a B & B here. And I did it with ALL my own money - no loans.
It has nothing to do with losing everything I have, it is about the proper measures should one of my guests be hurt - what about the bills if they required medical treatment? Not everyone has insurance (I don't myself!) and it is unconscienable to put another person's future in jeopardy because YOU were not legal and therefore have no insurance coverage!
If you think I am ticked, you are correct. There is no excuse possible in my mind to start a business - especially a B & B - that is not legal. It gives B & Bs a bad name for one thing. It is good I will be away for 5 days. I will probably simmer down by the time I get back.

swilson said:
You are correct. If you don't have the stomach and wherewithall for it, and are not willing to risk everything you own, don't do it. On the other hand, if it is you ONLY option when the government decides to make your choices for you as in my case, then if you are not afraid of uncle sam, and I've learned to not be afraid of them, then you do what you have to do.
Things in life are not all cut and dried, and just because the government say so and so, does not necessarily make it the right choice, and last time I checked they are voted in BY the people FOR the people. So if you want something changed, sometimes you just gotta get into the thick of it.
That said, I'd say you are right. 90% of the people out there would never have done what I did, and never should have. Rule followers and people that cannot think outside the box or think critically should not apply. You CAN LOSE EVERYTHING! And if that stuff is what is closest to your heart and you are really worried about losing it and believe you can't succeed all over again you should probably go buy a b&b turn key.
Besides, I'd imagine anyone on this list that is selling their b&b would be a whole lot smarter buy than doing it my way. Turn key, customers coming in the door the first day you are in business, all the hard learned lessons by prior owners in the past, etc etc etc. If I was looking to run a b&b in another location I'd look for a turn key deal. I only did it that way because I had to. The government forced my hand.
Never mind.

swilson said:
Please do noit take this personally - you did what you did and that is YOUR problem.
However, MY personal opinion is that anyone who does not do this LEGALLY is an IDIOT!!! For the health and safety of your guests - ASPIRINGS ARE YOU LISTENING?? - you must have all permits and licenses. It has nothing to do with taking a risk - we all take a risk just by being innkeepers in the first place. Do not for one minute think i am not a risk taker - I did a start-up in a town where people thought I was deranged when I opened a B & B here. And I did it with ALL my own money - no loans.
It has nothing to do with losing everything I have, it is about the proper measures should one of my guests be hurt - what about the bills if they required medical treatment? Not everyone has insurance (I don't myself!) and it is unconscienable to put another person's future in jeopardy because YOU were not legal and therefore have no insurance coverage!
If you think I am ticked, you are correct. There is no excuse possible in my mind to start a business - especially a B & B - that is not legal. It gives B & Bs a bad name for one thing. It is good I will be away for 5 days. I will probably simmer down by the time I get back.
Well, it's good to know I'm an idiot and I give good bed and breakfast like yours a bad name. That is certainly why i joined this. To be insulted.
I'm certainly not going to reciprocate.

swilson said:
What you did was self serving, selfish and dangerous. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Just because you did it and got away with it is NOTHING to be proud of. You may say you're not proud of it, but oh yeah, you are. You "thought out of the box". And while you were thinking out of that box you put everyone else at risk. What you did was what this profession has been fighting against for years. If I had been in your town and knew what you had been doing, you bet your sweet a** I would have turned you in. If you couldn't get the permits to do it legally, then you should not have opened.
"I only did it that way because I had to. The government forced my hand". That's a bunch of bull. You may rationalize it that way to yourself, but all the rest of us know better. I'd rather go flip burgers than have done it your way.
To all the aspiring innkeepers out there, DO NOT THINK THIS IS AN OPTION!!

swilson said:
What you did was self serving, selfish and dangerous. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Just because you did it and got away with it is NOTHING to be proud of. You may say you're not proud of it, but oh yeah, you are. You "thought out of the box". And while you were thinking out of that box you put everyone else at risk. What you did was what this profession has been fighting against for years. If I had been in your town and knew what you had been doing, you bet your sweet a** I would have turned you in. If you couldn't get the permits to do it legally, then you should not have opened.
"I only did it that way because I had to. The government forced my hand". That's a bunch of bull. You may rationalize it that way to yourself, but all the rest of us know better. I'd rather go flip burgers than have done it your way.
Ok, let me get this straight. Because I did something different than the way you did (I don't know you or your situation) I was wrong? Last time I checked this is America, where DREAMS come true. The only reason I'm successful is because I did it my way, or I would be flipping burgers.
Often things change because people don't always accept the answers they are given by people in authority who actually don't know what they are talking about!
Self serving? Yes, we are all self serving. Selfish? Uh, I guess I was thinking about myself as it is my business. Dangerous. Hmmm I've been in a whole lot of danger in my life, but when I exchanged my gun for a toilet brush, those days were over. No. I did not put anyone at risk, other than maybe taking a little business away from my competitor.
Of course you would turn me in. Less competition is always good for you.

swilson said:
Ok, let me get this straight. Because I did something different than the way you did (I don't know you or your situation) I was wrong? Last time I checked this is America, where DREAMS come true. The only reason I'm successful is because I did it my way, or I would be flipping burgers.
Often things change because people don't always accept the answers they are given by people in authority who actually don't know what they are talking about!
Self serving? Yes, we are all self serving. Selfish? Uh, I guess I was thinking about myself as it is my business. Dangerous. Hmmm I've been in a whole lot of danger in my life, but when I exchanged my gun for a toilet brush, those days were over. No. I did not put anyone at risk, other than maybe taking a little business away from my competitor.
Of course you would turn me in. Less competition is always good for you.
Your words speak for themselves. I'm with Bree.........never mind

Back