Unpacking the suitcases

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Do your guests unpack their suitcases into dressers? Or do they leave everything in the suitcase except hanging items? The question is basically, do I really need to have dresser drawers in all the guest rooms? If I swapped a dresser out for a desk would anyone care?

I picked desks with drawers in big enough if they want to put their socks and knicks in they can. Mainly they chuck everything on the floor so I wouldn't worry about it if its a space issue.

I have had some that used the dresser drawers but not many. I have no choice in the issue as a dresser is required by the assoc. I had thought about building drawers into part of a closet - but the closet is too narrow for it to work.

I have had some that used the dresser drawers but not many. I have no choice in the issue as a dresser is required by the assoc. I had thought about building drawers into part of a closet - but the closet is too narrow for it to work..
Ah, that is an idea for one room with a huge closet. I could build in a dresser.

Not too off subject...I heard a good suggestion if you have an old dresser or chest of drawers whose drawers are very hard to slide in and out: remove the drawers and turn the openings into shelves.
More on subject, when I travel, if I'm staying more than one night I remove stuff from the suitcase and use the drawers.

Well the answer is it depends.
We have so many one nighters, they shouldn't even bother bringing them all in the first place! Only those here on business or formal ocassion hang things up, and in fact the closets are great for people to just THROW their used undies on the ground outside the suitcase.
wow.gif

Thinking of our rooms, 3 or more night stay and they use the drawers, maybe. I think there is a requirement by a couple places to have drawers in the room. We do not have them in the cottage (per se) we have three drawers, but not a proper bureau type dresser.

Desks or nightstands with drawers would be the way I would go if starting from scratch. Most of ours never get stuff out of the suitcase.

I have had some that used the dresser drawers but not many. I have no choice in the issue as a dresser is required by the assoc. I had thought about building drawers into part of a closet - but the closet is too narrow for it to work..
Ah, that is an idea for one room with a huge closet. I could build in a dresser.
We put our dressers in the closet and people staying more than a couple of nights use them. We also have baskets on a shelf in one room and they quite often get used as well. Personally, I like to unpack at least part of my things if I am staying more than one night so I would miss not having a place to put my things.

I never take my stuff out of the suitcase. I don't want to increase chances of "bedbugs" or who knows what else. Not that this would apply to you :)
I keep my suitcases zipped closed when I am not there in the room.

I never take my stuff out of the suitcase. I don't want to increase chances of "bedbugs" or who knows what else. Not that this would apply to you :)
I keep my suitcases zipped closed when I am not there in the room..
catlady said:
I keep my suitcases zipped closed when I am not there in the room.
We do that as well. Always zipped up tight. and my camera bag/handbag etc never near a cloth surface or near the floor. Thanks to this business, I am that way. I could easily go that way...it was just a matter of time before I get the Luminol and CSI lamp out and never leave my own dwelling.
tumblr_lsm17z5Yrq1qgulpco1_400.jpg

I live out of my suitcase to lessen the chance of leaving something behind. The less I "spread out" the better. I use the first dirty shirt or sweatshirt as my laundry bag.

If I'm staying a day or two, I leave everything in my bag. If I'm going to be there a week, everything goes out of the bag and is put away. I prefer shelves to drawers, though. Easier to lose things in drawers.

Drawers are too "out of sight, out of mind" for me so I don't use them when I travel. Whatever I can't hang, I leave in the suitcase. I would use shelves but rarely see them.
I have something like this hanging in most of the guest closets. People seem to use them more than drawers.

Drawers are too "out of sight, out of mind" for me so I don't use them when I travel. Whatever I can't hang, I leave in the suitcase. I would use shelves but rarely see them.
I have something like this hanging in most of the guest closets. People seem to use them more than drawers..
happyjacks said:
I have something like this hanging in most of the guest closets. People seem to use them more than drawers.
Yes, that looks extremely handy for travelers. Hidden in the closet but easy to check as you pack up so you don't leave anything.

I have something like this hanging in most of the guest closets. People seem to use them more than drawers..
Great idea! I could use one of those in the room with no dresser!

Just had this conversation with someone. I am amazed at how often I find people unpack at our place, even for a 2 night stay.
For me, I keep everything in the bag unless I am there for a week. Love the idea of shelves in the closet fixed or hanging. Easy to see! Like the cruise ships where they only give you a couple of small drawers (good for socks, etc) and a set of shelves in the closet. Works well for them and for me when I cruise.

Our guests (except long-term, obviously) rarely unpacked and our avg LOS was 3 days.
We have a built in closet organizer in one closet and folks would use the cubbies in that sometimes. I think having 2 luggage racks per room was a big help for people that kept stuff in their suitcases.
I had those shoe rack shelves on the floors in most closets and people really used those. Have you noticed how many SHOES some people bring?
I think a desk with drawers would suit most people's needs for small items.
We are definitely divided on this - my dh unpacks everything unless it's just for one night, and even then he throws a bunch of stuff into a drawer. I hardly ever unpack my bags, except to hang up stuff that might wrinkle.

Back