Unsat breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Had another set of guests fresh back from Charleston SC. Same thing we always hear from SC (Savannah and Charleston), guest rooms packed into every crevice available, therefore very cramped - no common rooms, continental breakfast slapped out there by hired help, never met the owners/innkeepers.
Of course they paid the big bucks for this. Then they stayed here and their room was large, common areas, grounds and a nice breakfast for half of what they paid there. The guests just didn't understand, and I told them it is sheer volume. They have so many tourists that the quality is unimportant.

I'm tired of it, frankly. I've told this before but the first time we stayed in Charleston the breakfast was continental, served in the laundry room. Housekeeping staff in and out with laundry, owner yelling on the phone (his office was right there), make it yourself toast and bagels eaten at picnic tables.
There are a couple of places that serve a real breakfast, in a real dining room but their prices are $400+/night.

I'm tired of it, frankly. I've told this before but the first time we stayed in Charleston the breakfast was continental, served in the laundry room. Housekeeping staff in and out with laundry, owner yelling on the phone (his office was right there), make it yourself toast and bagels eaten at picnic tables.
There are a couple of places that serve a real breakfast, in a real dining room but their prices are $400+/night..
We stayed at the Dresser Palmer House in Savannah 2 Summers ago and they served breakfast in their dining room, they have 2 big tables. They have a chef that prepares your breakfast.
We also stayed at Columbia Square Inn in Savannah last Summer which did NOT make breakfast. We knew going in there would be no hot breakfast but it was quite laughable how they did their breakfast! They had a mini fridge in the bathroom (yes, bathroom) that had a quart of OJ, Milk, Diet Coke, Diet Yogurt and cold Muffins that were in unsealed sandwich bags, they also offered a small box of granola cereal and instant coffee in the room. We thought Ok, we knew it wasn't going to be great, but on the 3rd morning when the owners husband (it was HER house with her first husband) came in and refilled the juice and milk bottles I just couldn't believe it, he also left us a half eaten box of store brand granola cereal...... I thought it was tacky and unsanitary! We were checking out on the 4th morning so I guess they didn't the food to go to waste, but they should have bought smaller quantities instead of refilling. They have a good location, but I would never go there again!

I think it is easier to find a served breakfast at B&Bs in Savannah than in Charleston, although I have stayed at B&Bs in both cities that do it. The Savannah one was much better than either of the two B&Bs in Charleston both in terms of breakfast and a place to stay but was also more expensive.
Bree, sounds like you stayed in one of the places we did in Charleston - King George?
Jeanne

I think it is easier to find a served breakfast at B&Bs in Savannah than in Charleston, although I have stayed at B&Bs in both cities that do it. The Savannah one was much better than either of the two B&Bs in Charleston both in terms of breakfast and a place to stay but was also more expensive.
Bree, sounds like you stayed in one of the places we did in Charleston - King George?
Jeanne.
muirford said:
Jeanne
That's the one. And I agree that it was easier to find a full breakfast in Savannah altho that was also the city where one inn wanted us to choose (when booking) whether we wanted A bagel or A muffin for breakfast.

I beleive that was where these guests stayed. It was nothing like reported below from their website:
    • Enjoy breakfast in the quaint Breakfast Room on the 1st floor, or eat on the porches.
    • Refreshments are available all day in the Breakfast Room.
    • Breakfast is very relaxed and easy going: Southern style breakfast with eggs, sausage, grits, waffles, and a homemade fruit bread; along with cereal, fresh fruit, herbal and flavored teas, milk juice, breakfast yogurts and a nice robust coffee.
    • We accommodate breakfast from 8:30 all the way to 10:30 for the guests who stay out late and sleep in!

I beleive that was where these guests stayed. It was nothing like reported below from their website:
    • Enjoy breakfast in the quaint Breakfast Room on the 1st floor, or eat on the porches.
    • Refreshments are available all day in the Breakfast Room.
    • Breakfast is very relaxed and easy going: Southern style breakfast with eggs, sausage, grits, waffles, and a homemade fruit bread; along with cereal, fresh fruit, herbal and flavored teas, milk juice, breakfast yogurts and a nice robust coffee.
    • We accommodate breakfast from 8:30 all the way to 10:30 for the guests who stay out late and sleep in!
If they had the eggs, etc when I was there I must have skipped them. I remember cereal and english muffins. We liked the location and the room, but that was it. The second time I booked there they changed my room on me and gave me one with the bath across the hall on the 3rd floor. After I got my mailed confirmation I called to get that fixed and was told there were no rooms left to move me to. I told whoever answered the phone that I hadn't booked that room, I had booked whatever room it was and that she should move me back to that room and put the other person in the room she gave to me. She was taken aback that I could suggest she MOVE a guest to another room. Well, hey, honey you did it to me.
I cancelled and we stayed in Summerville and I won't be calling them again.

Jeanne.
muirford said:
Jeanne
That's the one. And I agree that it was easier to find a full breakfast in Savannah altho that was also the city where one inn wanted us to choose (when booking) whether we wanted A bagel or A muffin for breakfast.
On their website, that is called a 'quaint breakfast room'. We stayed at another place just down the street many, many years ago which also served breakfast but didn't go back there because we weren't crazy about it. The King George was the opposite of too many sticky notes - we almost froze to death on our first night there (it was February) because there was no instruction about using the window unit for heat as well as AC, and we didn't check it out thoroughly. Also never saw the owners although the innkeeper was nice.
Jeanne

Jeanne.
muirford said:
Jeanne
On their website, that is called a 'quaint breakfast room'. We stayed at another place just down the street many, many years ago which also served breakfast but didn't go back there because we weren't crazy about it. The King George was the opposite of too many sticky notes - we almost froze to death on our first night there (it was February) because there was no instruction about using the window unit for heat as well as AC, and we didn't check it out thoroughly. Also never saw the owners although the innkeeper was nice.
Jeanne
Ah, that's new...we met the owner. He lived elsewhere tho. Spent most of his time on the phone yelling at his kids.

Jeanne.
muirford said:
Jeanne
Jeanne
Ah, that's new...we met the owner. He lived elsewhere tho. Spent most of his time on the phone yelling at his kids.
The owner and wife lived in the apartment above the garage, we just never saw or met them. Breakfast seemed haphazard - I think there were grits in a crockpot, which was supposed to be something else on the second day but ended up as the same thing. We weren't greatly impressed but they are more reasonably priced than most places. We really wanted to stay at 4 Unity Alley but they were closed when we were travelling.
The place we stayed in Savannah was a Select Registry inn and had a full breakfast which you selected from a menu the night before. Plus they had great apps with wine in the evening. Corporate-owned, though, so we never saw the same staff person twice and the only friendly one was the guy who checked us in on the first night. Beautiful house. Snacks lined up on the mantel in the bedroom for which you were charged $2 - $3 per candy bar.
Jeanne

Jeanne.
muirford said:
Jeanne
Jeanne
The owner and wife lived in the apartment above the garage, we just never saw or met them. Breakfast seemed haphazard - I think there were grits in a crockpot, which was supposed to be something else on the second day but ended up as the same thing. We weren't greatly impressed but they are more reasonably priced than most places. We really wanted to stay at 4 Unity Alley but they were closed when we were travelling.
The place we stayed in Savannah was a Select Registry inn and had a full breakfast which you selected from a menu the night before. Plus they had great apps with wine in the evening. Corporate-owned, though, so we never saw the same staff person twice and the only friendly one was the guy who checked us in on the first night. Beautiful house. Snacks lined up on the mantel in the bedroom for which you were charged $2 - $3 per candy bar.
Jeanne
We really like a hole in the wall place...Palmer's Pinckney House. Last time we were there it was store bought muffins for breakfast, but the place itself is really nice. We figured all we could afford were the continental breakfast places so we went with this one for the rooms. You can go to the Palmer House on the Battery certain days of the week to have the full breakfast for an extra few $$. And you can go there in the afternoon for wine.
Caveat- this was the place I could not get a clean towel. If I left them in the shower, they were hung up again. Maybe they got that part straightened out now.

Caveat- this was the place I could not get a clean towel. If I left them in the shower, they were hung up again. Maybe they got that part straightened out now.
I didn't leave a tip last week at a restaurant. The waitress took my plate and lifted the fork off in her dirty hands and put in back down in front of me and asked if we wanted dessert. It totally put me off. Is it too much to ask to have a second fork if I pay $6 for a dessert? Really? I mean, I was not even going to order dessert, the fact that she removed my used fork from my used plate with my used napkin laying over it, grossed me out.

I didn't leave a tip last week at a restaurant. The waitress took my plate and lifted the fork off in her dirty hands and put in back down in front of me and asked if we wanted dessert. It totally put me off. Is it too much to ask to have a second fork if I pay $6 for a dessert? Really? I mean, I was not even going to order dessert, the fact that she removed my used fork from my used plate with my used napkin laying over it, grossed me out..
This is completely unrelated but I have to tell this...we have been getting emails replying to the job offer. 1 person attached a resume, the other did not and did not bother to give us a name. This second person is a high graduate whose parents should sue the school...
"I have worked at the XXX inn in C.T. as a house housekeeper for two year. in those two year i also did resternt work"
My guess is I wouldn't have to worry about this person leaving to go to college...
Tell me I am wrong that if you are applying for a job, no matter how menial, you should present yourself in the best light possible.

You are not wrong, and you might not be too far off the mark with your typo of "high graduate" LOL
Of course remember that stupid email I got from the VP of some web marketting company that was barely readable. If the VP's are that stupid, maybe it doesn't matter that the employees are stupid too.
sad_smile.gif

You are not wrong, and you might not be too far off the mark with your typo of "high graduate" LOL
Of course remember that stupid email I got from the VP of some web marketting company that was barely readable. If the VP's are that stupid, maybe it doesn't matter that the employees are stupid too.
sad_smile.gif
LOL! I missed that completely I was so upset by the email...

Back