Upcoming breakfasts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
In one day we have: vegan, no gluten, no pancakes, no nuts, no pork, no sugar. That is 4 separate reservations. Guests complain they can't have what they want for breakfast but how would THEY handle all of those requirements in one breakfast?
I'm going out for breakfast.

Have a mimosa with your breakfast, you're going to need it!.
Maybe a pitcherful. Can you imagine? Then there are the 3 rooms with no issues who are expecting a 'nice' breakfast that doesn't include tofu and oatmeal. And the one with the worst issues has not told me what CAN be eaten. Arriving soon, too. DH does not like these challenges.

Give them hash browns. Add eggs for the normal people and gluten-free.
No sugar, no gluten, no pancakes, no nuts (other than your guests themselves) and vegan and everyone is covered. Make your regular breakfast for those who want it, otherwise, just pare down on the hash browns.
If you have it, add some onions, shallots or garlic scape and tell em to enjoy.

No sugar, no gluten, no pancakes, no nuts (other than your guests themselves) and vegan and everyone is covered. Make your regular breakfast for those who want it, otherwise, just pare down on the hash browns.
If you have it, add some onions, shallots or garlic scape and tell em to enjoy..
JUST hash browns for the vegan? That seems so sparse. I was thinking a sweet potato pie for everyone using corn meal instead of flour. There isn't a lot of sugar and I could omit the sugar topping from part of the pie when I bake it. Sausage on the side. The next day (yes, more than one day) I could try a tofu scramble for the vegan and everyone else gets eggs.

One of them is essentially 'no grains'. So, no wheat, no spelt, no oatmeal, no barley. Rice might be ok. Grits. There we go. A mess o grits.

If you have it, add some onions, shallots or garlic scape and tell em to enjoy..
JUST hash browns for the vegan? That seems so sparse. I was thinking a sweet potato pie for everyone using corn meal instead of flour. There isn't a lot of sugar and I could omit the sugar topping from part of the pie when I bake it. Sausage on the side. The next day (yes, more than one day) I could try a tofu scramble for the vegan and everyone else gets eggs.
Give the vegan a bigger plate of them, I assume you have some fruit, cereal and bread around for them to supplement on. If you have some hummus, give them some, or fry a bit of tofu. But you aren't responsible to worry about their balanced diet or dietary needs, your job is to make breakfast. It's their job to decide if they have enough and what they want on the side. So stop worrying about everyone's needs. Make a really big plate of them. (You could also fry up some beans or lentils or even grill a tomato. Lots of choice, but basically a really big main of hash browns will do as a centrepiece for everyone. And it works for everyone's diet.) And leaves you sane for the next day.
And if you have leftover, you can put the hash browns on the bottom of a pie shell and make fritatta or quiche the next day with the leftovers as the pie dough. Still gluten free, no nuts, no sugar. And worry about making something else vegan the next day. Heck, you can take the sweet potato and make sweet potato hash the next day with cubes of tofu added for the vegan.
Quiche on a hash brown pie shell.... Done it and everyone loves it. Heck, you can add meat to the quiche if you want (just use something like smoked turkey). What ever is around, three eggs, some cream, black pepper and some grated cheese and voila... quiche! (Add spice as needed).
And if you want to make it fritatta style, put the hash browns into the quiche mix, instead of using it as a shell.
(And contact me in email if you want a few vegan breakfast recipe ideas)

Give the vegan a bigger plate of them, I assume you have some fruit, cereal and bread around for them to supplement on. If you have some hummus, give them some, or fry a bit of tofu. But you aren't responsible to worry about their balanced diet or dietary needs, your job is to make breakfast. It's their job to decide if they have enough and what they want on the side. So stop worrying about everyone's needs. Make a really big plate of them. (You could also fry up some beans or lentils or even grill a tomato. Lots of choice, but basically a really big main of hash browns will do as a centrepiece for everyone. And it works for everyone's diet.) And leaves you sane for the next day.
And if you have leftover, you can put the hash browns on the bottom of a pie shell and make fritatta or quiche the next day with the leftovers as the pie dough. Still gluten free, no nuts, no sugar. And worry about making something else vegan the next day. Heck, you can take the sweet potato and make sweet potato hash the next day with cubes of tofu added for the vegan.
Quiche on a hash brown pie shell.... Done it and everyone loves it. Heck, you can add meat to the quiche if you want (just use something like smoked turkey). What ever is around, three eggs, some cream, black pepper and some grated cheese and voila... quiche! (Add spice as needed).
And if you want to make it fritatta style, put the hash browns into the quiche mix, instead of using it as a shell.
OK, wait a minute...THREE eggs makes a quiche? We usually have to make 2 1/2 quiches (so 2 big and a small) and that uses 15 eggs. We must be doing something wrong!
I like the idea of using up the leftover hash browns as a quiche base.
We do have cereal and fruit. No bread unless we make toast.
Seriously, I'm not worried. I just threw it out there to show what sorts of nuttiness (or, non-nuttiness for the one guest) that we get in a single day and why it can be hard to make a good breakfast for 18 people when 12 of them have given us a list of things they can't/won't eat.
Part of the problem is that the spouse of the problem child generally doesn't want the same thing to eat. They think it's strange food so they want something different. So we have to portray it as 'what we usually serve to everyone' that just so happens to fit all these restrictions.
In the long run what we need to do is stop eating overly prepared foods from genentically altered crops and animals fed a diet of antibiotics. It's killing us.

One of them is essentially 'no grains'. So, no wheat, no spelt, no oatmeal, no barley. Rice might be ok. Grits. There we go. A mess o grits..
How about a corn tortilla filled with avocado, peppers and caramized onions for the vegan? Everyone else can get scrambled eggs into the mix.

Make a veggie frittata for all the non-vegan people, and then make a vegan tofu scramble with the same ingredients minus the eggs and cheese for the vegan. I used to keep those buttery sticks on hand for the vegan, gluten free people. (It actually is good.) Grits and potatoes for the sides. Meat on the side.
oy...good luck...

OK, wait a minute...THREE eggs makes a quiche? We usually have to make 2 1/2 quiches (so 2 big and a small) and that uses 15 eggs. We must be doing something wrong!
Seriously, I'm not worried. I just threw it out there to show what sorts of nuttiness (or, non-nuttiness for the one guest) that we get in a single day and why it can be hard to make a good breakfast for 18 people when 12 of them have given us a list of things they can't/won't eat.
Part of the problem is that the spouse of the problem child generally doesn't want the same thing to eat. They think it's strange food so they want something different. So we have to portray it as 'what we usually serve to everyone' that just so happens to fit all these restrictions.
In the long run what we need to do is stop eating overly prepared foods from genentically altered crops and animals fed a diet of antibiotics. It's killing us.
My general vegetable quiche is 3 eggs, cheese and cream.
Okay, so here is my secret. Cook a pie crust (or use the hash browns as a pie crust.) Cut tomato slices and lay them on a tea towel (or paper towel, if your prefer) and add a bit of salt, to sweat them a bit (they hold better in cooking this way.) Cut them in half and put them around the edge of the pie plate. Roast some zucchini (or fry if you prefer, but it's faster to just roast in the oven and adds less fat.) And put them around the edge of the pie plate in the same way. What's left in zucchini can be cut up and added as part of the quiche. Any vegetables that you can roast can get added in the same way. You can even use outsides of peas as long as you strip out the string and dice them really small. We add garlic scape and basil. We then make a large bowl of the quiche mixture, the eggs, cream and cheese and ladle it into the centre, sprinkle with some cheese and bake. We cut in 6 or 4 depending on the crowd. You can add bacon or not. We generally make two or three and offer a choice. Last week we had one that was mushroom, one that was carmelized onions and one that had bacon in it. Sold out, as usual. And they love the hash brown crust. (I just put the mushrooms or the onions in the middle and ladle the quiche mixture over them.
The tomatoes and zucchini I can often vary from pie to pie. For example, yellow tomatoes, red tomatoes, green zucchini, yellow zucchini. Heck, sometimes it's half and half. So each pie has a different look to it. If you are going to use 9" pie crust, remember to fully bake them ahead of time if you want the crust to be super flaky and not soaked by the quiche.
Remember, this is a basic quiche recipe. One you get used to the consistancy you can add or remove eggs, put in more veggies, etc. Leeks go with feta cheese wonderfully, for example. The cut up veggies fill it, so you aren't putting in all that cheese. We get a basket from a farmer week after week with no control over what organic veggies he's going to give me. (I think you call them CSA in the US). So we can prepare the veggies and make different quiches from them. About half an hour in the oven and it's fresh and wonderful and other than a guest from France who refused, because she only eats quiche at lunch, everyone has been happy with it.
The nice thing about something like the hash is that it's easy to adapt, use it as a main for the vegan with some tofu, add eggs and sausage for others if you please. You could also make latkes, serve with applesauce, sugar, cinnamon-sugar or even sour creme. You can very them by adding onion, shallots or scape. Put a little lemon zest in them for a new taste. Heck, you can make them ahead of time and warm them in the oven in a pinch. (Just remember that you need to fry them in quite a bit of oil, don't be stingy on the oil for frying a latke.) Latkes are hash browns evil cousin, you make the potatoes a little more cut up, add some flour (or you can use corn starch if you want them to be GF) some egg, a bit of pepper and you have something new. Spice it up with some siricha. Make sour cream with siricha... an evil twin of regular sour cream :)

Okay, so here is my secret. Cook a pie crust (or use the hash browns as a pie crust.) Cut tomato slices and lay them on a tea towel (or paper towel, if your prefer) and add a bit of salt, to sweat them a bit (they hold better in cooking this way.) Cut them in half and put them around the edge of the pie plate. Roast some zucchini (or fry if you prefer, but it's faster to just roast in the oven and adds less fat.) And put them around the edge of the pie plate in the same way. What's left in zucchini can be cut up and added as part of the quiche. Any vegetables that you can roast can get added in the same way. You can even use outsides of peas as long as you strip out the string and dice them really small. We add garlic scape and basil. We then make a large bowl of the quiche mixture, the eggs, cream and cheese and ladle it into the centre, sprinkle with some cheese and bake. We cut in 6 or 4 depending on the crowd. You can add bacon or not. We generally make two or three and offer a choice. Last week we had one that was mushroom, one that was carmelized onions and one that had bacon in it. Sold out, as usual. And they love the hash brown crust. (I just put the mushrooms or the onions in the middle and ladle the quiche mixture over them.
The tomatoes and zucchini I can often vary from pie to pie. For example, yellow tomatoes, red tomatoes, green zucchini, yellow zucchini. Heck, sometimes it's half and half. So each pie has a different look to it. If you are going to use 9" pie crust, remember to fully bake them ahead of time if you want the crust to be super flaky and not soaked by the quiche.
Remember, this is a basic quiche recipe. One you get used to the consistancy you can add or remove eggs, put in more veggies, etc. Leeks go with feta cheese wonderfully, for example. The cut up veggies fill it, so you aren't putting in all that cheese. We get a basket from a farmer week after week with no control over what organic veggies he's going to give me. (I think you call them CSA in the US). So we can prepare the veggies and make different quiches from them. About half an hour in the oven and it's fresh and wonderful and other than a guest from France who refused, because she only eats quiche at lunch, everyone has been happy with it.
The nice thing about something like the hash is that it's easy to adapt, use it as a main for the vegan with some tofu, add eggs and sausage for others if you please. You could also make latkes, serve with applesauce, sugar, cinnamon-sugar or even sour creme. You can very them by adding onion, shallots or scape. Put a little lemon zest in them for a new taste. Heck, you can make them ahead of time and warm them in the oven in a pinch. (Just remember that you need to fry them in quite a bit of oil, don't be stingy on the oil for frying a latke.) Latkes are hash browns evil cousin, you make the potatoes a little more cut up, add some flour (or you can use corn starch if you want them to be GF) some egg, a bit of pepper and you have something new. Spice it up with some siricha. Make sour cream with siricha... an evil twin of regular sour cream :)
Ah. We usually only add spinach whic doesn't have the density of all the veggies you add. Sounds really good.

Ah. We usually only add spinach whic doesn't have the density of all the veggies you add. Sounds really good.
Zucchini is plentiful and filling. And in the summer, so much cheaper than anything else. Some people complain about having left over zucchini... I just say, throw it at me! Plenty of ways to use it.
Do you know that you can use a peeler to peel asparagus and then use them like that (you don't need to cook it, if it's this thin). Or you can do the same thing with zucchini heat it a bit and use it as spaghetti? Same thing with carrots :)

Have a mimosa with your breakfast, you're going to need it!.
Maybe a pitcherful. Can you imagine? Then there are the 3 rooms with no issues who are expecting a 'nice' breakfast that doesn't include tofu and oatmeal. And the one with the worst issues has not told me what CAN be eaten. Arriving soon, too. DH does not like these challenges.
I am thinking of you this morning as I say goodbye to my more limited challange: one guest who takes no dairy...no butter, no milk, no yogurt etc. , while another will not eat eggs. All the other guests want a nice full breakfast with dairy and eggs. Can't say I'll be sorry to see them all go today. Honestly, Maddie, I don't know how you do it with so many people to please....I only have to feed 6 and that's enough for me!

Took pics for you tonight, since I made 4...
vxf-l.jpg

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
vxg.jpg

Vegetable Quiche

vxf-l.jpg

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
vxg.jpg

Vegetable Quiche
Eric Arthur Blair said:
vxf-l.jpg

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
vxg.jpg

Vegetable Quiche
I want some!

We are getting a run of the GF diet coming up. It is not an allergy, it is a fad. 'Oh we're not eating gluten this week.' Yeah? Good luck with that.
When they check in I ask if it is a contact allergy. Dumb looks. 'If your breakfast comes in contact with ANY gluten AT ALL, will you get sick?'
I will serve the GF crowd scrambled eggs. They can drool while everyone else has something yummy. We do not completely remake a recipe so it doesn't have gluten.

vxf-l.jpg

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
vxg.jpg

Vegetable Quiche
Looks yummy...boy do you take time in arranging your veggies....we just chop them up and put them in :) Although hubby does put nicely sliced rounds over the top for a nice look

vxf-l.jpg

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
vxg.jpg

Vegetable Quiche
Looks yummy...boy do you take time in arranging your veggies....we just chop them up and put them in :) Although hubby does put nicely sliced rounds over the top for a nice look
When I was young we had a housekeeper who taught me to do it this way. The sweating of the tomatoes is key, otherwise it's just a soggy mess. But if you roast the zucchini in the oven it's all pretty quick to do. But it does impress and of course, fills in the outside and cuts down on the filling needed. What's left in roast veggies is simply diced and added in to the egg mixture that I ladle in.
And as I said, you can even put in diced pea shells, garlic scape.... it all goes in. :)
PS: Two quiche cut in six today for 10 people (of which only 9 showed). All of the bacon spinich is gone and one piece of the veggie is left, but MoH will likely polish that off.

Back