Update from the lodge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update. We are going thru all the emotions here. Mom passed on July 1st, it is still hard for me to deal with. Odd how hard it feels to be an "orphan" at 57. Moving on, the construction crew moved into the motel on July 5th, and July 6th, began demolition. They tore off the porch and got the poor areas of the foundation ripped out. We are now looking at possibly restoring the original 100' long porch-- it would be lovely screened.
I have been working like crazy to get the motel rooms up for the crew; we needed two new 80 gal hot water tanks. All is well now, and they are very respectful of the property, and one wants to bring his new wife up for a vacation when they are done. Although we have a sign on the gate closed for remodeling, we had one man drive in during the concrete pour--saying he just wanted to check on the remodeling!!! (Also calls--won't you be done in August?).
We just had an interview with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which will be posted online next month. I mentioned our .com, and have contacted a web site design firm. I have too much to do without trying to mess about with something I know little about. Cat Lady your words ring true.
The nature conservancy next door has been contacted, and we have offered them rooms for a work session to restore the damage (mowing) done by the previous owner. They are thrilled.
The old sheets wash nicely--but they are all cotton and wrinkle. I found an old mangle in the laundry, and once I got rid of the mouse nest in the roller, it appears to work! I found an additional 3' tall pile of folded new old stock cotton sheets in one of the bedrooms in the lodge wrapped in plastic. I also found that all the beds in the lodge are completely made down to the bed pads, so the laundry load just increased again. I just ordered a new large size top loading washer and dryer. (Also a new fridge, and stove for the lodge.)
Just want to say thanks again for all your help. I am "home" for a couple of days R&R. I just needed a couple of days to think about the past and the future. When I get a website, I will post it for you to take a peak.

So glad to hear things are moving along for you. Had been thinking about you this past week and wondered when you would post. Keep us updated as you can.
TAKE PICTURES of the before, during and after. Guests love to see them... (we do too
wink_smile.gif
).

it is nice to hear from you.
sorry about your mom. i understand.
sounds like things are progressing nicely. yes ... do take pictures! for you and for your blog ... and of course for us!

So sorry to hear about your mom.
Good luck with all of the reno work.

So sorry about your Mom. Your project will keep you busy for a while so the dust can settle in that area. Best of everything to you and your family!

Sorry for the loss of your mother. I understand. The best thing I did was plant a oak tree the year he died. (6 years ago) Now I have a very nice shade tree right outside the "innkeeper quarters" I feel his presence when I see it.

Certainly saddened by your news. My deepest sympathy. Perhaps all the work you need to do will help you through this.

Holding good thoughts for you as you mourn your mother. (((((((((big hug))))))))

We're sending lots of positive vibes North to you and will be excited to hear how things go.

Sorry for your lose...
You bought the property where you posted the b/w photo of the building over looking the water ?

Sorry for your lose...
You bought the property where you posted the b/w photo of the building over looking the water ?.
Thanks for the sympathy, I've been missing mom greatly today. Yes, that is the lodge and me.

Thanks all for the sympathy. She was 94. I am really feeling the loss today. When I closed their house I took starts from many of her garden plants. She was an avid gardener, even ordered some more roses this spring. Her "special" daylilies are blooming now in my garden. I remember the day I planted out the order with her directing me from her wheelchair. She had tremendous spirit, and lived beyond her physical frailty. I hope to be as strong as she was.

Im so sorry for your loss, prayers sent your way for peace. Great that you are on your way to getting the business open...keep us informed and yes take pictures.

I'm so sorry for you loss. It's wonderful though that you have her flowers now in your garden. Every time you look at them or work in your garden you will think of her. That's how our loved ones live on.

Thanks all for the sympathy. She was 94. I am really feeling the loss today. When I closed their house I took starts from many of her garden plants. She was an avid gardener, even ordered some more roses this spring. Her "special" daylilies are blooming now in my garden. I remember the day I planted out the order with her directing me from her wheelchair. She had tremendous spirit, and lived beyond her physical frailty. I hope to be as strong as she was..
Best wishes for your renovations and rehabilitation of the property and hopes that it provides a distraction from your sense of loss and grief. Take lots of pictures and blog and share about the progress as you move toward your dream!

Please accept my condolences.
As you started YOUR next adventure, she started HERS.

When those we love have left this earth, we still can feel them near. We'll see a picture, hear a song, and it’s just like they are here. And when we call upon our faith, when we believe and trust, we know the ones we care about are always close to us.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.....but wow, your Mom must have lived a full life, 94! Having starts of her flowers is wonderful!

Back