Update on new photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, remember those new photos you all helped me work on over the winter? I can finally report...they are working! Last year, that room was 6th in booking (last is the plague room). This year, so far it is 3rd! Big difference. Good for the bottom line, too, as it is a higher priced room. Thanks for all the hints and tips, they worked! And almost all of the bookings for that room are online so it has to be the photos making the difference.

That's great. Congratulations!!!
cheers.gif

That's great to hear Bree. I'll reference this thread when people cringe when I suggest they hire a photographer. Good photography works ... it isn't easy..but it works.

Forgot to mention that in most circumstances, this is the FIRST room being booked for a set of days. So, not 'oh, I guess I HAVE to take THAT room.'

That is awesome!
I wanted to let everyone know as well, we had a photo-journalist from Conde Nast staying here for a few days this week...she was DEAD against the idea of video on a b&b website. I told her about our discussion here and the PAII research showing guests were looking for it, but she had the opposite experience. She does a lot of b&b shoots (as an independent contractor) and she had two busy inns in the New England area who'd added video to their sites...it actually opened a new page when you clicked on the video link so they could track traffic, and for both inns there were literally ZERO clicks to the video page.
We are still up in the air as to whether we will go the video route or not.

That is awesome!
I wanted to let everyone know as well, we had a photo-journalist from Conde Nast staying here for a few days this week...she was DEAD against the idea of video on a b&b website. I told her about our discussion here and the PAII research showing guests were looking for it, but she had the opposite experience. She does a lot of b&b shoots (as an independent contractor) and she had two busy inns in the New England area who'd added video to their sites...it actually opened a new page when you clicked on the video link so they could track traffic, and for both inns there were literally ZERO clicks to the video page.
We are still up in the air as to whether we will go the video route or not..
InnsiderInfo said:
That is awesome!
We are still up in the air as to whether we will go the video route or not.
Good, thanks for sharing. I thought it was just me. I do not want to watch videos of an inn, at all, ever. No matter what the directories are telling us, I don't want to view them. I want photos large and clear to scan with MY eyes, not a camera's eyes forcing me to look where they look while recording.

That is awesome!
Very Interesting information Innsiter. We have been tossing this about ourselves as we thought it may help those that need a little more encouragement. We did decide if we were to do one, that it would be on a seperate, trackable page. Do to the cost of these things, it needs to be a producer!!!

That is awesome!
Are those 'static' videos where it's just a bunch of room photos that move? Or are the videos of some sort of event like a tour? I'm wondering if you set up a video of your place as if you were on an historic home tour where you have bits of history and stuff about the local area if that would work better than sitting the camera in a room and just letting it run and panning left and right.

Bree, good news, it is nice to know all your hard work is paying off :)
Now that we are in our slooooow period we are focusing on our website with many updates, new pictures etc. Hopefully we will see a return as reservations come in like you are seeing....

That is awesome!
Are those 'static' videos where it's just a bunch of room photos that move? Or are the videos of some sort of event like a tour? I'm wondering if you set up a video of your place as if you were on an historic home tour where you have bits of history and stuff about the local area if that would work better than sitting the camera in a room and just letting it run and panning left and right.
Bree said:
Like those that the realtors took up using a few years ago. Hate those. Slideshows are a-ok by me, esp if I can advance them when I want to, not just sit and let them go on their own timing.

Great to know it's working! I've always encourage innkeepers to have professional photos on their website. It definitely pays off.
A few months ago, we were discussing here on the forum whether or not food/breakfast page should be included on the website with photos. Currently, I only have 1 food shot. A couple weeks ago, I had my photographer come out and shoot food pictures and I'm anxiously waiting to see them. I plan on doing a separate food/breakfast page on my website.
Thanks for all the feedback...I just wanted to let you know I was following through with that. I'm still not putting a picture of myself & DH on it though!!! Don't want to scare anybody away.
cry_smile.gif

That is awesome!
I think some of the new videos I have seen on some of the Asheville sites are nice ones. I don't care for just looking at an innkeeper talking is good, but those that give a nice view of the rooms/landscaping etc are nicely done. Do a search here to find that old thread if you want to see a link.

I had the video my city did with the State put on my new web site. It is on my Activities page and activates only when clicked on. It shows some of the things available in the State and then goes into a tour of my City with about 10 seconds of my inn. the whole thing is 60 seconds. I still have to get out to do more photos of the area, covered bridges, and DH's paintings. The City and the bathroom and RAIN had held me back.

I like the slide idea better but I do not care for the slide changing on the page I am trying to read about the inn. For me that is very distracting.

great, bree!
opinion: i love videos on inn sites and vacation sites. as a potential guest, i DO watch them ... always. so there is no disuading me. wondering what you all mean by 'video'. three or four pictures that fade in and out. that's what i like. and only on page one.
i don't like music to come on. i don't mind if there's a music optional that you click if you want to hear it, rather than one that starts up on its own and you have to disable.

Back