UPDATE on Owner's Meeting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Had a talk with PTB yesterday afternoon-I e-mailed before our meeting and it went as well as could be expected. We laid it out and told the truth. Later that evening we got a blind e-mail complaining about the director and how he/she is not doing the job blah blah blah..that right there pretty much told me what kind of person I work for.
Husband and I don't think its professional to let us know in so many words how bad the director has done the job, and that instead of meeting with all of us in one meeting (over phone or computer) owner decided to speak to us individually-first my husband and I, then the antique and event planner then the director. It seemed to me that the power wanted us to pit us against eachother-something this person has done in the past and that this team will absolutely not do-so I think that power understands that we will not do this.
We have a large event here in October and power wanted to do something in the garden-this should have been planned LAST YEAR with the committee for this event-its the largest event in this town-but Power said something three months ago..ok I'll give power this-director did not do what director told power that was going to do-this would make any boss upset-but Power is used to VENTING, SCREAMING, and has done worse to the people that work for power that this is the 7th director here, we are the 6th innkeeper in FIVE years (that goes to show you) so turnover is LARGE. Plus as my other thread mentioned, the townspeople don't like power either-now power has goneso far as to talk nasty about director to the powers that be for this large event. Director has lived in this town a long time and has been involved in and with this event for many years-this is just plain wrong makes us nervous if we would do something wrong (human nature) what power would say about us.
So..we had a staff meeting this morning (no power) and my husband and I told the people that work with us we will NOT spy,tell, or speak ill of anyone here unless its really detrimental to the property or eachother that we are a team and that is the way we will handle the Power from now on. Apparenlty power has never had a team like this one-one that doesn't ratt on eachother and doesn't jump through hoops for power and will not take the abuse other employees have done. I think that power is at the end of the "business development" stage of the company cause her "partners" are looking as to why there are no events at the events center. We are in process of getting people here for a quilting class, cooking class, crafts etc-people outside the town that know nothing about our property-but owner is already balking at 'NOT MAKING' any money-or that the person that is conducting the cooking class can't do this or that-- well sometimes when bridges are burned and you have to rebuild them they cannot be rebuilt overnight-I said this in my e-mail.
Thanks for listening and power is HOLDING director's paycheck-CLEARLY AGAINST THE LAW and unprofessional-I have lost much more respect for Owner today when the gardner asks my husband if "that person" is still working here...

This truely is a bad situation. Good you have built a good strong team and together maybe the only way to handle this owner. The owner needs to be told that as long as there is constant turnover in employees (innkeeper & director) there will be fewer and fewer repeat guests. People choose the B&B for convenience to where they want to stay, but will return due to the atmosphere the innkeeper creates. If there is constant changeover, there will be fewer repeat customers.
This issue is similar in nature to a topic Morticia brought up recently...www.innspiring.com/node/7002

People that stupid deserve to go bust you feel like just screaming at them just stay out of our way and we will make you money but the problem and reason you are not being successful is you! and the quicker you get out of the way the better! She blatently does not have a clue. PLus she is making your job harder because it is hard to project calm and happy to your guests if you are cross, frustrated and upset. My advice is get out while you can she will run the place into the ground and the quicker you jump ship the better!

Sorry you are put in this situation. I know there are not many jobs out there right now..but if I were you...I sure would be looking. I could not work for someone like that:-( Good luck.

I think at this point you do not have much to lose - so just do the job as you see fit and stop "asking" permission f9r every little thing - unless it requires her to sign a check. You are the innkeepers- so innkeep!

I think at this point you do not have much to lose - so just do the job as you see fit and stop "asking" permission f9r every little thing - unless it requires her to sign a check. You are the innkeepers- so innkeep!.
Exactly could not have put it better. Would not ask permission for anything and do what is best for you and the inn. Plus if you don't ask she can't say no.

I think at this point you do not have much to lose - so just do the job as you see fit and stop "asking" permission f9r every little thing - unless it requires her to sign a check. You are the innkeepers- so innkeep!.
I agree with Gillum!

gillumhouse said:
I think at this point you do not have much to lose - so just do the job as you see fit and stop "asking" permission f9r every little thing - unless it requires her to sign a check. You are the innkeepers- so innkeep!
And as Rear Admiral Grace Hopper said: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

I guess I'd definitely be looking for another innkeeper's gig unless this one had the salary worth the aggravation.

thanks you all-thanks or all the suggestions the quote My husband has said over and over again and yes, we are looking for another job, but will Innkeep as Gillum said cause thats what we do best.
Thanks,coming here and venting sure helps not SCREAMING at the top of my lungs into the phone at her....ha haha

yes ... keep innkeeping and looking at the same time. maybe things will simmmer down ... maybe the owner will trust you and let you run the place ... but micromanaging and even trying to instigate trouble with different staff is demoralizing for you all and ruining her business. plus it's childish.
yes, come in here and RANTAWAY. this place is an innkeeper's lifesaver!

Back