UPDATE! Owner/Innkeeper news

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the whole thing, she could care less what my husband does, he can nap and do whatever but she wont question it, but this morning she asked me "what I do on the computer all day" now mind you she us usually not here she goes next door where she owns another house with antiques which in this town are not selling so what does she know what I do? and "when do you clean house?" I said well I'm not on it all day and I do clean house. and left it at that.
Why would she ask that? NO
Is there dirt everywhere? NO
Is there laundry everywhere?
Is the Inn dirty? NO
ONE MORE DAY!!!
Yup, I'll be looking for another gig....for now its all going to be ok it just doesn't make sense as to why she attacks me? Why? I try to be pleasant with her but she has to find fault where there is no reason.
Thanks for letting me vent. She said she wanted to meet with us for last pating words..wonder what that would be?.
Hang in there. I like One Day's idea. Maybe she feels threatened by YOU. Chummy and friendly with hubby. Some women in power are like that. They aren't threatened by the man, but seem to have something to prove to the woman.
I know a woman who is all sorts of friendly with the husbands, but when it comes to the wives...the claws come out. I have always just assumed a personality quirk, but who knows. Could be deeper than that.
Hold your head high. You can never go the wrong way when you take the high road.
Penelope said:
Hold your head high. You can never go the wrong way when you take the high road.
It's the only way.

Today is the day-4hours 20 minutes TICK TOCK TICK TOCK....and she's otta here.
Had last meeting with Owner last night, she hired a new "director" and it may help that he's a man. She said "he's my ears and eyes of my business"...so now we have another middle person, but that can't be too bad can it? or can it? I think she's just amazed how my husband and I work together I mean we both cook, clean, greet guests, take reservations, do laundry, helpin the yard etc. The only difference is that he can fix stuff-isn't this the norm? I think that the Innkeepers that where here in the past the guy was mostly doing the maintenance and the woman did the rest. After she said the "computer" thing I told my hubbie that he was serving her business breakfast and I was going to do the rooms....she was SURPRISED, husband said that we work together, thats what its all about!
Is there a division in labor-Yes, but we take turns, we both cook and serve breakfast most of the time he does the cooking, I do the appetizer and presentation, I can do the cooking as well.
So do all of you have partners that do almost everything you do? or is it all divided? Just curious.
She's funny, after telling us we cant do this or that, last night she was all smiles.

Today is the day-4hours 20 minutes TICK TOCK TICK TOCK....and she's otta here.
Had last meeting with Owner last night, she hired a new "director" and it may help that he's a man. She said "he's my ears and eyes of my business"...so now we have another middle person, but that can't be too bad can it? or can it? I think she's just amazed how my husband and I work together I mean we both cook, clean, greet guests, take reservations, do laundry, helpin the yard etc. The only difference is that he can fix stuff-isn't this the norm? I think that the Innkeepers that where here in the past the guy was mostly doing the maintenance and the woman did the rest. After she said the "computer" thing I told my hubbie that he was serving her business breakfast and I was going to do the rooms....she was SURPRISED, husband said that we work together, thats what its all about!
Is there a division in labor-Yes, but we take turns, we both cook and serve breakfast most of the time he does the cooking, I do the appetizer and presentation, I can do the cooking as well.
So do all of you have partners that do almost everything you do? or is it all divided? Just curious.
She's funny, after telling us we cant do this or that, last night she was all smiles..
So, she essentially told you she hired a babysitter? Will this director run the other parts of her empire, too, or just sit around and watch you work? BTW, don't move the furniture back where you think it looks best!
We had a group of 7-8 Israelis here once and all of the women watched Gomez cook breakfast as this was something they had never seen before...a husband cooking a meal! So, your boss has probably never considered that a man could do something at home nor a woman do something 'business-like' (except herself).
As to division of labor...we 'fell into' the things we each do best and there we are...he cooks, I serve the food. He does the bathrooms, I do the bedrooms. He does the 'accounting' stuff, I do the website. I'm the 'creative' side, he's the nuts & bolts side. We both take reservations and greet the guests.

Me and Dh just do whatever because as we all know there is usually 3 or 4 things going off at once. I am better at DIY than him but he is better with computer stuff but I am better at creative stuff. If you are a team you just get on with what needs doing.

The good thing is that the guy she hired we already know-hung out with him at a get together-so that is a good thing. I told hubbie that if he was the type to tell all to her then there will be a problem, maybe since he's a guy there would be a batter chance that she would listen.
I've been trying to get her to do the Veteran's thing and I again e-mailed her the information, she e-mailed me back stating that other pertinent decisions where being made at this time and she could not make that decision right now...so how about if I make the decision for the Inn? She told us that we would be responsible for all the marketing of the Inn-but not without her approval which sometimes is very very slow and some opportunities for marketing have to be made quickly. She spends alot on print advertising which is a waste of $$$ if not placed in the right venue...

The good thing is that the guy she hired we already know-hung out with him at a get together-so that is a good thing. I told hubbie that if he was the type to tell all to her then there will be a problem, maybe since he's a guy there would be a batter chance that she would listen.
I've been trying to get her to do the Veteran's thing and I again e-mailed her the information, she e-mailed me back stating that other pertinent decisions where being made at this time and she could not make that decision right now...so how about if I make the decision for the Inn? She told us that we would be responsible for all the marketing of the Inn-but not without her approval which sometimes is very very slow and some opportunities for marketing have to be made quickly. She spends alot on print advertising which is a waste of $$$ if not placed in the right venue....
birdwatcher said:
I've been trying to get her to do the Veteran's thing and I again e-mailed her the information, she e-mailed me back stating that other pertinent decisions where being made at this time and she could not make that decision right now...so how about if I make the decision for the Inn? She told us that we would be responsible for all the marketing of the Inn-but not without her approval which sometimes is very very slow and some opportunities for marketing have to be made quickly. She spends alot on print advertising which is a waste of $$$ if not placed in the right venue...
A very good first step that she's delegating authority on the veteran's thing to the 2 of you.
As for the other marketing, you'll need to get her to do the same thing in very small steps along the way.
If you are still there at year's end, you'll need a longer term solution for next year. Owners always want the final say on everything, as they should. It's just a matter of how you set that up so that you can achieve results. Later in the year, make a preliminary budget for the following year. Get her approval then for the marketing budget you propose and any other expenses as well. You need her approval in advance on the budget itself to manage the inn. If you've moved on to another inn by then, you'll want to do the same thing at your new place. Plan and get approval well before you need it.
For now, though, breathe a sigh of relief that you got through this first hurdle.
And yes, take Mort's advice: don't move the furniture. The new director may be the greatest guy. But he's probably not going to put his job on the line for you. Assume he will tell her everything since that's what she's paying him to do.

Back