USA TODAY Travel Article: Do you regularly turn off lights, TV in your hotel room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We usually make "adjustments" to the room when we fluff, i.e. turn off lights, adjust temperature settings etc.
On the other side of the coin, if a guest has turned everything off and we know that they might be returning to a hot/cold room, I'll adjust the temperature to a comfortable setting for them or if it's going to be very dark when they return from dinner( we're in deep in the woods) I'll turn on the porch light for them and a small lamp in the room.
Part of the hospitality business is being hospitable.

Hey what happened to all the other comments on this thread? Only one now.
Yes, you need to have light for the guests, cabins vs old house are different. People turn off other lights here trying to be thoughtful, which is not good!

Hey what happened to all the other comments on this thread? Only one now.
Yes, you need to have light for the guests, cabins vs old house are different. People turn off other lights here trying to be thoughtful, which is not good!.
There are 2 different threads going on with the same topic. Try to make this partiular one die...

I carry a couple of plug in night lights with me when I travel. I am sleeping in a strange room and do not want to stumble in the dark. When we leave, I turn them on. That way I am not comming back to a dark cave with unknown hazzards. The heat/cool I adjust to a lower/higher level so I am not wasting, but, do not have to start from scratch. A light switch by the door makes leaving a light on redundant. Art

I carry a couple of plug in night lights with me when I travel. I am sleeping in a strange room and do not want to stumble in the dark. When we leave, I turn them on. That way I am not comming back to a dark cave with unknown hazzards. The heat/cool I adjust to a lower/higher level so I am not wasting, but, do not have to start from scratch. A light switch by the door makes leaving a light on redundant. Art.
Hollowwood said:
I carry a couple of plug in night lights with me when I travel. I am sleeping in a strange room and do not want to stumble in the dark. When we leave, I turn them on. That way I am not comming back to a dark cave with unknown hazzards. The heat/cool I adjust to a lower/higher level so I am not wasting, but, do not have to start from scratch. A light switch by the door makes leaving a light on redundant. Art
That was one of the first things we added after receiving a guest suggestion. It was one of those "of course......duh!" moments. It makes a huge difference. We use the kind with an on/off switch so the guest can turn them off it they don't want it.

Back