Use of Alcohol in Cooking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shall now change my verbiage from food dislikes? to foods you do not eat?
I often make a carnberry triple sec muffin and add parmesan, romano, and cheddar cheeses to my egg bakes. Hmmmmmm..
gillumhouse said:
I shall now change my verbiage from food dislikes? to foods you do not eat?
I often make a carnberry triple sec muffin and add parmesan, romano, and cheddar cheeses to my egg bakes. Hmmmmmm.
I think the question will never be resolved. Hubs says, 'Do you have any dietary restrictions? We don't want to give you something that will make you sick.' I ask, 'Do you have any dietary restrictions or foods you just don't eat?'
He gets answers of foods that will kill them. I get foods that will kill them and foods that will kill me when they say they can't eat them as I put the plate down! See, he's in the kitchen. HE gets all the kudos. NO ONE tells HIM they can't eat X, but they ALL tell me.
He cooks whatever will feed the most guests at once after looking over all the restrictions. If it's just too much in one day, there's always cereal or yogurt or a scrambled egg. But it is almost never perfect.

We typically ask "Do you have any food allergies or aversions?"
Unfortunately I don't think anyone knows what "aversions" means, because they all always say "No", and then next morning it's "I don't eat eggs, meat, pork...."

Many guests would not dream that we might use alcohol in a breakfast. Some people never think past cereal, toast, bacon, eggs. I always thought that alcohol burned off when used in cooking but lately I have learned that is not true. Now I never use alcohol in breakfast dishes (and I love grand marnier in an orange compote).
I also do not use grapefruit anymore. Aging guests are often taking meds that don't get along with grapefruit - anti-depressants, some beta-blockers and blood pressure meds, etc. Rather than ask about it I just don't have it in the house anymore for guests.

First, thanks for the info on extracts - I did not realize! Now I will serve both regular syrup and my rum sauce with my morning bread pudding.
I do not think that there is ANY full proof way to ask the question about food dislikes or allergies and get the answer we need 100% of the time! My question is like Bree, "Do you have any food allergies or anything you DO not or CAN not eat?" Then the next morning 'oh, I don't eat eggs'. When this happens it always gets me but I quess that if they don't buy eggs, or cook them , they are not thinking that eggs are a staple in the American Breakfast diet.
Joe, even though at times the answer does not provide us with the info we need, for me it is 100% better to have at least tried to cook something that everyone can eat, rather than wasting what they can't.
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish.

Many guests would not dream that we might use alcohol in a breakfast. Some people never think past cereal, toast, bacon, eggs. I always thought that alcohol burned off when used in cooking but lately I have learned that is not true. Now I never use alcohol in breakfast dishes (and I love grand marnier in an orange compote).
I also do not use grapefruit anymore. Aging guests are often taking meds that don't get along with grapefruit - anti-depressants, some beta-blockers and blood pressure meds, etc. Rather than ask about it I just don't have it in the house anymore for guests..
We're getting more and more of the grapefruit issue. And now hubs is one of them so he can't even finish off the remaining fruit dishes if guests say no thanks. (I don't mean something the guest has touched, but what they have told me not to even serve!)

First, thanks for the info on extracts - I did not realize! Now I will serve both regular syrup and my rum sauce with my morning bread pudding.
I do not think that there is ANY full proof way to ask the question about food dislikes or allergies and get the answer we need 100% of the time! My question is like Bree, "Do you have any food allergies or anything you DO not or CAN not eat?" Then the next morning 'oh, I don't eat eggs'. When this happens it always gets me but I quess that if they don't buy eggs, or cook them , they are not thinking that eggs are a staple in the American Breakfast diet.
Joe, even though at times the answer does not provide us with the info we need, for me it is 100% better to have at least tried to cook something that everyone can eat, rather than wasting what they can't.
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish..
Copperhead said:
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish.
Paprika is in the same family as bell pepper. Does she have a problem with bell pepper? Pimentos stuffed greenolives, same.
I cannot cook individually catered meals for 13 guests. There is only one of me. If I had a table of two that is different, or even four. I will alter the entire meal to the person if I can - like put no ham in a dish and have it on the side. I won't cook totally different to my style however. In this case, this weekend with her entire family here, and the other gal with her hubby who eats everything she said - it worked out just fine. I won't ask likes and dislikes, every single guest has something they don't like. Bree hates sausage, I cook it here, all the time, in many forms. I am not going to substitute something and make her plate an only just for that reason. Complimentary breakfast. It is a beautiful meal - we need to not suffer those who are picky. They are picky wherever they go.

My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish..
Copperhead said:
Paprika is in the same family as bell pepper. Does she have a problem with bell pepper? Pimentos stuffed greenolives, same.
I cannot cook individually catered meals for 13 guests. There is only one of me. If I had a table of two that is different, or even four. I will alter the entire meal to the person if I can - like put no ham in a dish and have it on the side. I won't cook totally different to my style however. In this case, this weekend with her entire family here, and the other gal with her hubby who eats everything she said - it worked out just fine. I won't ask likes and dislikes, every single guest has something they don't like. Bree hates sausage, I cook it here, all the time, in many forms. I am not going to substitute something and make her plate an only just for that reason. Complimentary breakfast. It is a beautiful meal - we need to not suffer those who are picky. They are picky wherever they go.
Complimentary breakfast. It is a beautiful meal - we need to not suffer those who are picky. They are picky wherever they go.I sure do agree with you! Breakfast is complimentary. We are not restaurants. I do my best to try and determine what people are allergic to and what they CAN NOT (not don't like) to eat and then work my menu around that if at all possible. We can't be all things to all people all of the time!!

Copperhead said:
I don't HATE sausage, I just get tired of eating in everyday when I'm on vacation. Bacon I would eat everyday. Sausage not so much.

Copperhead said:
I don't HATE sausage, I just get tired of eating in everyday when I'm on vacation. Bacon I would eat everyday. Sausage not so much.
Me too! Have you checked out the blog www.bacontoday.com???

certainly, if someone is allergic to things ... they have to tell you. i would certainly do my very best to be accommodating but i have to know or i can't try.
when i made quiche and actual 'recipe' things, which i do season, i put out a little card on the table that said what is in the quiche (just in case) a few guests told me they could not eat onions (yes, onion in the quiche - also paprika, parsley and chives) but they told me at serving time. i didn't mind scrambling up some eggs for them. but i could have left onions out of a small pan of quiche if i'd known.

certainly, if someone is allergic to things ... they have to tell you. i would certainly do my very best to be accommodating but i have to know or i can't try.
when i made quiche and actual 'recipe' things, which i do season, i put out a little card on the table that said what is in the quiche (just in case) a few guests told me they could not eat onions (yes, onion in the quiche - also paprika, parsley and chives) but they told me at serving time. i didn't mind scrambling up some eggs for them. but i could have left onions out of a small pan of quiche if i'd known..
For some reason, a lot of guests think that quiche is cooked to order. We have told guests at check-in that there is spinach quiche for breakfast, they have asked again in the morning while they are having their coffee and then when I bring the fruit course they say, 'I don't want spinach in my quiche.'
Hmmm. Well, it's already made. And there are 10 other people waiting to eat. 'There's the cereal.'

alias annie said:
Just a side since I noted that Grand Marnier and other alcohol being used in some of the recipes. There may be times when you have a guest who is in recovery, that the alcohol could be a problem for them. Just as the person with celiac cannot have any form of gluten - a few people are that sensitive and would be very grateful to know that alcohol is in the contents, so they can choose whether or not to eat/drink it. Heat does remove the alcohol but the remaining flavor can even be a issue for some. So, because of this, we choose not to use the liquors, brandies, etc
Guilty as charged. But, to echo some of the other comments here, we ask up front if there are any dietary restrictions. Most of the time, the answer is "no". When our guests arrive, we invite them to come up at happy hour and share a glass of wine (or beer) with us. Some have declined citing religious or health reasons. We usually take this as a queue to omit alcohol from any receipes. Apparently, most of our guests are raging alcoholics because they have never turned down the invitation.
A neat little side note, we discovered a very affordable and very drinkable wine from of all places, the Oak Creek Vineyard. Most guests think we have our own private wine label. We don't tell them otherwise unless they ask.

Copperhead said:
Bacon is definitely the preferred breakfast pork product here. I still have yet to make quiche! I was going to make a ham and cheese quiche last week and one guest happened to mention that she didn't eat ham. There ya have it.....

Copperhead said:
Bacon is definitely the preferred breakfast pork product here. I still have yet to make quiche! I was going to make a ham and cheese quiche last week and one guest happened to mention that she didn't eat ham. There ya have it.....
Samster said:
What will surprise you when you do serve quiche is the number of people who have never had it. When was the last time you ate it? So when I serve it there is usually a conversion that takes place with people agreeing they like it. But really, my main quiche is ham, eggs, cheddar, a wee bit of onion, I shake in hot sauce and blue cheese, so it is not like it is healthy or good for you, so must taste good! I get a kick out of all the guests even older adults who have never had it. Would they go out to eat and 'try' it? No. There really aren't many places you can even get quiche these days.

alias annie said:
Just a side since I noted that Grand Marnier and other alcohol being used in some of the recipes. There may be times when you have a guest who is in recovery, that the alcohol could be a problem for them. Just as the person with celiac cannot have any form of gluten - a few people are that sensitive and would be very grateful to know that alcohol is in the contents, so they can choose whether or not to eat/drink it. Heat does remove the alcohol but the remaining flavor can even be a issue for some. So, because of this, we choose not to use the liquors, brandies, etc
Guilty as charged. But, to echo some of the other comments here, we ask up front if there are any dietary restrictions. Most of the time, the answer is "no". When our guests arrive, we invite them to come up at happy hour and share a glass of wine (or beer) with us. Some have declined citing religious or health reasons. We usually take this as a queue to omit alcohol from any receipes. Apparently, most of our guests are raging alcoholics because they have never turned down the invitation.
A neat little side note, we discovered a very affordable and very drinkable wine from of all places, the Oak Creek Vineyard. Most guests think we have our own private wine label. We don't tell them otherwise unless they ask..
A neat little side note, we discovered a very affordable and very drinkable wine from of all places, the Oak Creek Vineyard. Most guests think we have our own private wine label. We don't tell them otherwise unless they ask.
LOL That is great!

Copperhead said:
Samster said:
What will surprise you when you do serve quiche is the number of people who have never had it. When was the last time you ate it? So when I serve it there is usually a conversion that takes place with people agreeing they like it. But really, my main quiche is ham, eggs, cheddar, a wee bit of onion, I shake in hot sauce and blue cheese, so it is not like it is healthy or good for you, so must taste good! I get a kick out of all the guests even older adults who have never had it. Would they go out to eat and 'try' it? No. There really aren't many places you can even get quiche these days.
I guess real men eat quiche nowadays :)
I will make a quiche one of these days...a frittata is basically a crustless quiche.

Copperhead said:
Samster said:
I will make a quiche one of these days...a frittata is basically a crustless quiche.
Samster said:
I think that statement is 2x too long. It should just be "real men eat".
tounge_smile.gif

Fritatta sounds more manly. ;)

Copperhead said:
Samster said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

yeah, okay, the word "frittata" sounds real manly... NOT!

Copperhead said:
Samster said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

maybe not really manly, but more manly than quiche!
=)
Kk.

Back