Use of Alcohol in Cooking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, thanks for the info on extracts - I did not realize! Now I will serve both regular syrup and my rum sauce with my morning bread pudding.
I do not think that there is ANY full proof way to ask the question about food dislikes or allergies and get the answer we need 100% of the time! My question is like Bree, "Do you have any food allergies or anything you DO not or CAN not eat?" Then the next morning 'oh, I don't eat eggs'. When this happens it always gets me but I quess that if they don't buy eggs, or cook them , they are not thinking that eggs are a staple in the American Breakfast diet.
Joe, even though at times the answer does not provide us with the info we need, for me it is 100% better to have at least tried to cook something that everyone can eat, rather than wasting what they can't.
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish..
Copperhead said:
First, thanks for the info on extracts - I did not realize! Now I will serve both regular syrup and my rum sauce with my morning bread pudding.
I do not think that there is ANY full proof way to ask the question about food dislikes or allergies and get the answer we need 100% of the time! My question is like Bree, "Do you have any food allergies or anything you DO not or CAN not eat?" Then the next morning 'oh, I don't eat eggs'. When this happens it always gets me but I quess that if they don't buy eggs, or cook them , they are not thinking that eggs are a staple in the American Breakfast diet.
Joe, even though at times the answer does not provide us with the info we need, for me it is 100% better to have at least tried to cook something that everyone can eat, rather than wasting what they can't.
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish.
Paprika is in the same family as bell pepper. Does she have a problem with bell pepper? Pimentos stuffed greenolives, same.
I cannot cook individually catered meals for 13 guests. There is only one of me. If I had a table of two that is different, or even four. I will alter the entire meal to the person if I can - like put no ham in a dish and have it on the side. I won't cook totally different to my style however. In this case, this weekend with her entire family here, and the other gal with her hubby who eats everything she said - it worked out just fine. I won't ask likes and dislikes, every single guest has something they don't like. Bree hates sausage, I cook it here, all the time, in many forms. I am not going to substitute something and make her plate an only just for that reason. Complimentary breakfast. It is a beautiful meal - we need to not suffer those who are picky. They are picky wherever they go.
I don't HATE sausage, I just get tired of eating in everyday when I'm on vacation. Bacon I would eat everyday. Sausage not so much.
Bacon is definitely the preferred breakfast pork product here. I still have yet to make quiche! I was going to make a ham and cheese quiche last week and one guest happened to mention that she didn't eat ham. There ya have it.....
Samster said:
Bacon is definitely the preferred breakfast pork product here. I still have yet to make quiche! I was going to make a ham and cheese quiche last week and one guest happened to mention that she didn't eat ham. There ya have it.....
What will surprise you when you do serve quiche is the number of people who have never had it. When was the last time you ate it? So when I serve it there is usually a conversion that takes place with people agreeing they like it. But really, my main quiche is ham, eggs, cheddar, a wee bit of onion, I shake in hot sauce and blue cheese, so it is not like it is healthy or good for you, so must taste good! I get a kick out of all the guests even older adults who have never had it. Would they go out to eat and 'try' it? No. There really aren't many places you can even get quiche these days.
I guess real men eat quiche nowadays :)
I will make a quiche one of these days...a frittata is basically a crustless quiche.
Samster said:
I will make a quiche one of these days...a frittata is basically a crustless quiche.
I think that statement is 2x too long. It should just be "real men eat".
tounge_smile.gif

Fritatta sounds more manly. ;)
swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

yeah, okay, the word "frittata" sounds real manly... NOT!
Joe Bloggs said:
swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

maybe not really manly, but more manly than quiche!
=)
Kk.
Quiche is real manly when you pronounce it like George Bush, "I'll have the quickie."

My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish..
Copperhead said:
My daughter is allergic to paprika, and just breathing it can send her to the ER. It is amazing what that stuff is in and how often it is used as garnish.
Paprika is in the same family as bell pepper. Does she have a problem with bell pepper? Pimentos stuffed greenolives, same.
I cannot cook individually catered meals for 13 guests. There is only one of me. If I had a table of two that is different, or even four. I will alter the entire meal to the person if I can - like put no ham in a dish and have it on the side. I won't cook totally different to my style however. In this case, this weekend with her entire family here, and the other gal with her hubby who eats everything she said - it worked out just fine. I won't ask likes and dislikes, every single guest has something they don't like. Bree hates sausage, I cook it here, all the time, in many forms. I am not going to substitute something and make her plate an only just for that reason. Complimentary breakfast. It is a beautiful meal - we need to not suffer those who are picky. They are picky wherever they go.
I don't HATE sausage, I just get tired of eating in everyday when I'm on vacation. Bacon I would eat everyday. Sausage not so much.
Samster said:
What will surprise you when you do serve quiche is the number of people who have never had it. When was the last time you ate it? So when I serve it there is usually a conversion that takes place with people agreeing they like it. But really, my main quiche is ham, eggs, cheddar, a wee bit of onion, I shake in hot sauce and blue cheese, so it is not like it is healthy or good for you, so must taste good! I get a kick out of all the guests even older adults who have never had it. Would they go out to eat and 'try' it? No. There really aren't many places you can even get quiche these days.
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
swirt said:
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

maybe not really manly, but more manly than quiche!
=)
Kk.
Quiche is real manly when you pronounce it like George Bush, "I'll have the quickie."
SweetiePie said:
That was Clinton.
wink_smile.gif

Back