Uses for leftover Banana Bread

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
So after breakfast is served (we serve six people when booked) if DW mades banana bread we end up with nearly half a loaf that never gets plated. Early in the season that is great, I love banana bread...but by mid July I grow tired of banana bread extras...even my Labrador gets tired of them.
Anybody have good uses for banana bread? We tried making french toast with it once. Tasted good, but the texture was a little mushy... any methods for solving that?

Well, my best solution is to avoid this problem. Thanks to Seashanty from the other forum, I bake her banana bread recipe in 6 mini loaf pans. It rises so nice that one mini loaf will actually serve 2 people. I bake them & freeze them. They warm great in the microwave & then I plate them with a garnish of a few banana slices. No waste so far...plates are cleaned!

Well, my best solution is to avoid this problem. Thanks to Seashanty from the other forum, I bake her banana bread recipe in 6 mini loaf pans. It rises so nice that one mini loaf will actually serve 2 people. I bake them & freeze them. They warm great in the microwave & then I plate them with a garnish of a few banana slices. No waste so far...plates are cleaned!.
Ooh I like that idea. How long in the microwave to defrost one?

Well, my best solution is to avoid this problem. Thanks to Seashanty from the other forum, I bake her banana bread recipe in 6 mini loaf pans. It rises so nice that one mini loaf will actually serve 2 people. I bake them & freeze them. They warm great in the microwave & then I plate them with a garnish of a few banana slices. No waste so far...plates are cleaned!.
I KNEW that you were going to ask me that! I think that I experiment with it...maybe just a minute or so? It's pretty quick.

I KNEW that you were going to ask me that! I think that I experiment with it...maybe just a minute or so? It's pretty quick.
DW is concerned that frozen won't taste as good as fresh.....I'll have to do a little test to see if we can taste the difference. Of course she is saying that now because it is still early in the season...she'll be singing a different tune by the end of July LOL

DW is concerned that frozen won't taste as good as fresh.....I'll have to do a little test to see if we can taste the difference. Of course she is saying that now because it is still early in the season...she'll be singing a different tune by the end of July LOL
I only know that SeaShanty's recipe does taste the same, because of course I had to sample the banana bread just out of the oven and the frozen/warmed up version.
tounge_smile.gif

Leftover banana bread is good cream cheese between two thin slices, too. Then, you can cut it in triangles or something.

I have bought homemade banana nut loaves at bake sales - frozen. They were excellent.

I make all my quick breads in the mini loaf mans and freeze them. I actually think they are moister once defrosted. I usually take them out the night before and then when ready to serve, slice into mini slices and fan out on a plate. Maybe 30 secods in the microwave to warm them.

I make all my quick breads in the mini loaf mans and freeze them. I actually think they are moister once defrosted. I usually take them out the night before and then when ready to serve, slice into mini slices and fan out on a plate. Maybe 30 secods in the microwave to warm them.
I made a bundt cake last weekend and it wasn't touched. I froze it and have defrosted a couple of slices at a time depending on the number of guests. It IS moister now than it was last weekend. I ran 4 slices thru the MW yesterday and it took about 60 seconds for it to be thawed but not warm.
For the banana bread...it would taste good (if you do afternoon snacks) cut up in chunks with vanilla ice cream on top.

I made a bundt cake last weekend and it wasn't touched. I froze it and have defrosted a couple of slices at a time depending on the number of guests. It IS moister now than it was last weekend. I ran 4 slices thru the MW yesterday and it took about 60 seconds for it to be thawed but not warm.
For the banana bread...it would taste good (if you do afternoon snacks) cut up in chunks with vanilla ice cream on top.
I buy some sweet breads and coffee cakes at our farmers market and from the local Mennonite bakery and they almost alway go straight into the freezer - same when I bake muffins. They've never suffered from being frozen. My microwave has an automatic setting for defrosting frozen muffins and heating fresh ones. The only issue I find is that the microwave dries them out, so I don't use it except in an emergency (like when I forget to defrost muffins for breakfast!).
Jeanne

All great information on the freezing....I'll have to give it a try. I've always avoided it in the past based on nothing more than principle. I just know my icecream is not as god after its been in the freezer for a couple weeks. Haven't done it with baked goods ;)

So, you take the mini loaves out of the freezer & put in the fridge to defrost?

All great information on the freezing....I'll have to give it a try. I've always avoided it in the past based on nothing more than principle. I just know my icecream is not as god after its been in the freezer for a couple weeks. Haven't done it with baked goods ;).
Breads do very well refreezing. Another way to use leftover banana bread is to toast it with a bit of butter... good if having different guests the next day.

All great information on the freezing....I'll have to give it a try. I've always avoided it in the past based on nothing more than principle. I just know my icecream is not as god after its been in the freezer for a couple weeks. Haven't done it with baked goods ;).
Breads do very well refreezing. Another way to use leftover banana bread is to toast it with a bit of butter... good if having different guests the next day.
That's a good idea. I like peanut butter on my banana bread, but DW says I'm not allowed to serve it to others that way. ;)

That's a good idea. I like peanut butter on my banana bread, but DW says I'm not allowed to serve it to others that way. ;)
Do you like peanut butter with amatta?
=) Kk.

Do you like peanut butter with amatta?
=) Kk.
<sounds of swirt sidestepping to avoid being Groucho Marx's straightman> Harpo says "Honk".
angel_smile.gif

haha
thanks for the compliments!
as for leftovers, i do a couple things
first, i cut the banana bread (or whatever it is) into little squares about 2x2 and it goes in the library as an afternoon or evening snack ... mostly what i put there gets eaten
second, i take some with me (cut in 2x2's) over to the general store or to the ferry boat office or to wherever ... and i check to see if they need more of my rack cards and i say, 'here is some xyz i made ... help yourself.' i make a little 'plate' out of foil so they don't have to worry about returning a plate. and i put a little card with it that says 'compliments of' me.
how did my post end up in the middle here? odd ............

haha
thanks for the compliments!
as for leftovers, i do a couple things
first, i cut the banana bread (or whatever it is) into little squares about 2x2 and it goes in the library as an afternoon or evening snack ... mostly what i put there gets eaten
second, i take some with me (cut in 2x2's) over to the general store or to the ferry boat office or to wherever ... and i check to see if they need more of my rack cards and i say, 'here is some xyz i made ... help yourself.' i make a little 'plate' out of foil so they don't have to worry about returning a plate. and i put a little card with it that says 'compliments of' me.
seashanty said:
It indents them by who you are replying to. It takes a bit of getting used to. If you aren't a fan of the threaded style, you can change it by scrolling to the botttom of the page here and changing it to "Flat list" then and choose the sort order you want, then press the "Save settings" button. The Flat style is more similar to what we had at that other place ;)
Nice idea on the good-cheer snacks.
thumbs_up.gif

Not exactly answering your question here, but how about in mid-July you start making something that's not banana bread? There are so many great loafs and breakfasty cakes out there... pumpkin bread, zucchini loaf, carrot loaf, blueberry pound cake, cherry torte, cinnamon coffee cake....
Also, good use for leftover banana bread: crumble it up and stir it into softened vanilla icecream.

Not exactly answering your question here, but how about in mid-July you start making something that's not banana bread? There are so many great loafs and breakfasty cakes out there... pumpkin bread, zucchini loaf, carrot loaf, blueberry pound cake, cherry torte, cinnamon coffee cake....
Also, good use for leftover banana bread: crumble it up and stir it into softened vanilla icecream..
She makes lots of other things, it just always seems that somehow the banana bread is the stuff the dog and I end up growing tired of "cleaning up". ;-)
I do like the sound of blueberry pound cake and cherry torte, maybe they'll end up in the recipe section here :)

Back