V Code or CVV2 for credit card processing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is it true that more banks/credit card companies are requiring this code to process a transaction over the phone/internet? I just tried to run a deposit and it said cvv2 mismatch - I do not have the v-code as Webervations will not allow me to ask for it/require it.
It is creating a lot of hassle and more work for me to not require this code. As mentioned I have more and more who are using others cards - many times it is the same last name, so I go to run the card as a deposit and it does not go through. It defeats the purpose of online reservations if I am beign forced to continually contact every guest.
John B, any suggestions from the Webervations side on this? Calling and asking for the v-code on every booking is NOT what I want to be doing. Thank you.

I have not had this problem with my processor. I just ran 2 GC's by hand and was not asked for the code. But, I've never been asked for the code. It would be interesting to find out how processor-specific this is. And if they're all now going to change after THEY have told us we cannot store this number.
And I still don't get why WE can't have that code as every other online purchase I've made has required it.

I can process via phone or online using Cellcharge. While the code is not required for online transactions, it is for phone transactions...so I use online exclusively since webervations stopped capturing it.

Like I said, I believe this is a bank/cc determined requirement for this particular credit card. Until I see it in my hand I will not know which one it is. It is a Visa. I actually think this is a good requirement to have for your cc, after all, that is what the v code is for, but we are not allowed to use it/request in webervations. Per John B it is due to the storage of the number, not the number itself - so I would be happy if it dissappeared as soon as I took the booking, so I can at least run the deposit.

Like I said, I believe this is a bank/cc determined requirement for this particular credit card. Until I see it in my hand I will not know which one it is. It is a Visa. I actually think this is a good requirement to have for your cc, after all, that is what the v code is for, but we are not allowed to use it/request in webervations. Per John B it is due to the storage of the number, not the number itself - so I would be happy if it dissappeared as soon as I took the booking, so I can at least run the deposit..
Joey Bloggs said:
Like I said, I believe this is a bank/cc determined requirement for this particular credit card. Until I see it in my hand I will not know which one it is. It is a Visa.
See if I am understanding you correctly... this is only a problem with SOME cards, not all Visa cards (or what ever)? If this is so, very interesting. I have never been asked for a V code with my processor. This may be a time to contact your processor and discuss this matter with them. When you call, make sure you have the info to quote as to why this number can not be stored. Maybe they just need to update your machine. These changes are so difficult to keep up with...one day they want this, the next they only want that...Huhhhhhh.

Like I said, I believe this is a bank/cc determined requirement for this particular credit card. Until I see it in my hand I will not know which one it is. It is a Visa. I actually think this is a good requirement to have for your cc, after all, that is what the v code is for, but we are not allowed to use it/request in webervations. Per John B it is due to the storage of the number, not the number itself - so I would be happy if it dissappeared as soon as I took the booking, so I can at least run the deposit..
Joey Bloggs said:
Like I said, I believe this is a bank/cc determined requirement for this particular credit card. Until I see it in my hand I will not know which one it is. It is a Visa.
See if I am understanding you correctly... this is only a problem with SOME cards, not all Visa cards (or what ever)? If this is so, very interesting. I have never been asked for a V code with my processor. This may be a time to contact your processor and discuss this matter with them. When you call, make sure you have the info to quote as to why this number can not be stored. Maybe they just need to update your machine. These changes are so difficult to keep up with...one day they want this, the next they only want that...Huhhhhhh.
It was this particular card. Not the processor. I would like to have it for all of them, like I said, people are using other people's credit these days, too often for my liking. More are just buying the night stay vs buying a GC for a night stay. I actually PREFER that, but it is always a hassle.
I will call the processor next week and see what is what in that area. Someone here mentioned Sam's club - do you like Sam's club for merchant accounts?
This time of the year is my spring cleaning - and prepping for income tax time, so I am in the midst of a major decrapification today - still in my pj's as i do it! Popping in here every so often when my speakers beep - listening to M arti na mcbride as well...adios for now.

Joey Bloggs said:
It was this particular card. Not the processor. I would like to have it for all of them, like I said, people are using other people's credit these days, too often for my liking. More are just buying the night stay vs buying a GC for a night stay. I actually PREFER that, but it is always a hassle.
I will call the processor next week and see what is what in that area. Someone here mentioned Sam's club - do you like Sam's club for merchant accounts?
This time of the year is my spring cleaning - and prepping for income tax time, so I am in the midst of a major decrapification today - still in my pj's as i do it! Popping in here every so often when my speakers beep - listening to M arti na mcbride as well...adios for now.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes I do like it. It is through First Data. They have been very helpful and are ALWAYS available when I call. I find their rates to be right in line with others and no hidden fees! If you have a business account with Sams, you are waved the $10 monthly statement fee.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes I do like it. It is through First Data. They have been very helpful and are ALWAYS available when I call. I find their rates to be right in line with others and no hidden fees! If you have a business account with Sams, you are waved the $10 monthly statement fee.
Copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks. I have it on my reminder for Tues - forgot Monday is a public holiday.

I have not had this problem with my processor. I just ran 2 GC's by hand and was not asked for the code. But, I've never been asked for the code. It would be interesting to find out how processor-specific this is. And if they're all now going to change after THEY have told us we cannot store this number.
And I still don't get why WE can't have that code as every other online purchase I've made has required it..
And I still don't get why WE can't have that code as every other online purchase I've made has required it.
I think the basics of it this little catch-22. You can have the code, but you have to store it securely and would have to go through PCI testing (notecards, spreadsheets or databases would not pass the test) ... but a third party (webervations) can't store the code ever..not even briefly while they wait for you to login and process the transaction.

Joey Bloggs said:
Another option now available (I think I am remembering what John said correctly) is that Webervations can use Intuit processing just like Rezovation does... so the processing is immediate. I've really enjoyed that this past year :)

Joey, and Swirt, you are both correct. No one can store a code, period. It can be taken in an online checkout that transmits it immediately to a processor and does not record. Hence the problem with Webervations - since it was not really setup to transmit it (bit of an overstatement - there was a gateway setup by Weber, but it was really expensive - $35/month surcharge on top of Weber fees and very few people used it).
Swirt is also correct, Webervations now connects to Inuit for cc processing exactly like Rezo, and we dropped the old $35/month surcharge that was in place completely - there is no surcharge now.
We just launched this, 36 customers are active - we should be getting feedback on it soon, but if it works like rezo, should be good!

We are requried to have the card, expiration date, security code from the back, street address number (like the 125 from 125 Brown Street) and zip code.
As far as I know I need this to process when we don't have the card to swipe (on our wine tours) and if not the machine tells us it is not a match.
RIki

We are requried to have the card, expiration date, security code from the back, street address number (like the 125 from 125 Brown Street) and zip code.
As far as I know I need this to process when we don't have the card to swipe (on our wine tours) and if not the machine tells us it is not a match.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
You should be able to set your machine or your processor to varying levels of matches - for instance some properties do not have an address match, some do not have CVV, and so on. Perhaps your processor does not allow for that, but many/most do.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
You should be able to set your machine or your processor to varying levels of matches - for instance some properties do not have an address match, some do not have CVV, and so on. Perhaps your processor does not allow for that, but many/most do.
Thanks for the info - it could be since we are out on the road collecting at the end of the wine tour without the ability to swipe the card that our processor wants us to get it all so we are in the clear as to the charge, since I can't afford the portable swipe machines. They still appear to be in the $600 or more range..
RIki

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Thanks for the info - it could be since we are out on the road collecting at the end of the wine tour without the ability to swipe the card that our processor wants us to get it all so we are in the clear as to the charge, since I can't afford the portable swipe machines. They still appear to be in the $600 or more range..
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Well it never hurts to get it all, but still seems a bit strange to me. I believe there are some iphone cc swipers on the way... should be interesting!

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Well it never hurts to get it all, but still seems a bit strange to me. I believe there are some iphone cc swipers on the way... should be interesting!
JBanczak said:
egoodell said:
RIki
There are some which have been out for some time - at $700 per just for the equipment - but then again you have to be in an area that has phone reception - and some of the inns that I pick up in are in dead zones....
RIki

I've never run into this problem. It used to be required, by the cc processing company, CTS Holdings, to get this number, but I asked them to not require this anymore, and they don't. They can also drop other requirements such as address, zip, etc.
C

I've never run into this problem. It used to be required, by the cc processing company, CTS Holdings, to get this number, but I asked them to not require this anymore, and they don't. They can also drop other requirements such as address, zip, etc.
C.
remnjava said:
C
Just wondering, did you ask if your processing rate would change if you do not have such required fields? (I am not talking about the code, just to drop 'other requirements' ) Mine require the address (street number) and the zip and if what I plug in does not match their records, I am charged a different rate for that charge. (I was never required to get the security code.)

Back