Vacation Dilemma - Need Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
We are going on a very short cruise next week and will have limited computer access and probably no cell phone access for at least 4 days. Would you put something on your website about the office being closed for the week to phone calls? I will pay to get online to check for online bookings and email but there's not much chance of getting forwarded calls. How would you phrase this if you put something on the website? We'll have someone at the house periodically but they aren't trained to handle the phone calls and that is not an option.
Thanks for ideas!

When I'm gone, I don't put anything on the website. I put a message on the phone that the Inn is closed until such and such a date, and steer them toward the website for reservations. Online booking functions as usual.

When I'm gone, I don't put anything on the website. I put a message on the phone that the Inn is closed until such and such a date, and steer them toward the website for reservations. Online booking functions as usual..
Aha, that seems pretty simple! Thank you! We could just be here doing maintenance for all intents and purposes.

When I'm gone, I don't put anything on the website. I put a message on the phone that the Inn is closed until such and such a date, and steer them toward the website for reservations. Online booking functions as usual..
Aha, that seems pretty simple! Thank you! We could just be here doing maintenance for all intents and purposes.
Just say is that the Inn is closed for "Fall Cleaning" or "Rest and Relaxation" until whatever date, and that phone calls will be returned after that time period......and go HAVE FUN!

Just say is that the Inn is closed for "Fall Cleaning" or "Rest and Relaxation" until whatever date, and that phone calls will be returned after that time period......and go HAVE FUN!
Good idea :)

I have an innkeeper friend who doesn't want people to know they are away or closing down for a rest for a month, so she puts on her voicemail that they are "closed for some renovations" until xyz date.
Definitely remind them to go to your website to make reservations or get more info.

Little Blue said:
Don't advertise that the house will be empty. This is an open invitation to thieves. You could even have lights set on timers to go off and on to make it look like there is someone at home.

Little Blue said:
Don't advertise that the house will be empty. This is an open invitation to thieves. You could even have lights set on timers to go off and on to make it look like there is someone at home.
Oh, absolutely. We will have someone here but they are not trained to take reservations or deal with prospective guest phone calls. We always have lights on timers anyway. I will do that maintenance approach :)

I would not use the word closed because people will hear nothing after that word.
How about something like, We have been experiencing difficulties with our phone system. Please go to our web site www.ourinn.com to make reservations. We have been assured the problem will be fixed by Sept ?? and will be able to accept and return any calls after that date. Thank you for your understanding.

Just be honest. Why make up a story? I don't understand. You are going on vacation, just say the office is closed untill...
The office is closed until Sept 23rd, you can check availability, view rooms photos and make your booking online at: www.

I agree with Jo, be honest and you can also make a nice little marketing message on your voice mail " Me and the Hubby are having some fun doing ...we look forward to our return when we are rested and ready to allow you to the very same,. In the meantime check out our availabiltiy, photos and local attractions on our website. Make sure you come back and check out our vacation photo's, I will be posting them upon our return."... somthing like that anyway.
Or you can hire a virtual customer service assistant, if you are of the mindset to ensure there is always a human voice to answer. There are some great ones out there.
Above all enjoy your time..:)

Are you able to put your home phone on call forward to your cell phone or will the signal be lost out in the ocean? Just wondering cause that is what we do when we are away. That way people don't know you are away as you are still answering the calls.

First of all I wish you a nice and relaxing cruise.
Depending on which cruise line you are, there could be cell phone connection but you will be on auto roaming. I know European cruise lines where cell phone connection is not a problem at all. But you pay roaming prices.
I think you got some really good suggestions here. If you have cell phone connection and you forward the calls to your cell… where is the rest & relaxing coming in place? I wouldn’t even try to see what massages are on the voicemail. In the end you are only 4 days away. After that you can deal again with all the problems…

Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. We just put a message that the inn was closed and check online, blah, blah, blah. I had Internet available (at a charge) but cell phone would have been International roaming charges.
The trip was nice but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short, as usual! :)

Back