Vaccinated Guest or Non-Vaccinated Guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonflydreams

Reaction score
As we venture into the new season after lock-down in Ontario Canada, I am suddenly faced with a new dilemma. I am now taking bookings for the 2021 B & B Summer season and most of my booking guests are volunteering up information on their vaccine doses. I myself have already had one dose and my second one is scheduled in the coming months.

What is the general consensus on taking in guests that have not been vaccinated? or not planning to be vaccinated by the time they arrive etc.? Are hosts requesting proof of vaccinations?

Is this going to become a part of our B & B policies?

Each innkeeper has to decide what THEY are comfortable with. I have not and will not inquire about shots. It is, as far as I am concerned, not my business. Supposedly, those who have had the shot are protected. If you are protected, whether anyone else is or not does not matter - you have taken care of YOU. You are your responsibility and everyone else is responsible for themselves.

It really depends on where you live. Your province, your country, and your guests may have expectations of being asked or volunteering the info. If you’re more comfortable requiring masks for people who opt to not get vaccinated, that’s an option. You can ask to see their vaccine info if it makes you more comfortable.

Across the border we are not asking for info, but it is being volunteered. We put up a sign on the door telling guests masks are required if they are not vaccinated. It’s in our policies as well. We’re not verifying the vaccine info. Someone recently asked if I trusted people to not lie and I answered honestly, ‘no, I don’t.’ But that’s life.

I don’t know what your rules are about asking for vaccine info, but our HIPPA rules only apply to the medical/insurance fields. Anyone else can ask whatever health questions they want. Whether they get an answer is another story.

Most people around here have only had 1 shot. The mask is to protect others. I will continue to wear my mask to make others feel at ease. We are following protocols from the provincial government and still have air filters in the room as well. So far, the guests are usually telling me in email. But wearing a mask isn't about protecting yourself, it's showing respect to others and protecting them.

But, I will also say that it is NOT political here at all. It's more of a society against the disease kind of atmosphere on this side of the border.

As we venture into the new season after lock-down in Ontario Canada, I am suddenly faced with a new dilemma. I am now taking bookings for the 2021 B & B Summer season and most of my booking guests are volunteering up information on their vaccine doses. I myself have already had one dose and my second one is scheduled in the coming months.

What is the general consensus on taking in guests that have not been vaccinated? or not planning to be vaccinated by the time they arrive etc.? Are hosts requesting proof of vaccinations?

We (my husband and I) are both fully vaccinated and many guests are volunteering when they book and / or arrive that they are also. That said, we do not plan to ask or require that of guests and are continuing to enforce our mask in common spaces for guests when other guests are around. We still wear our masks when with guests.

I agree with gillumhouse - "I have not and will not inquire about shots. It is, as far as I am concerned, not my business."
In pre-arrival emails, we simply ask guests to monitor their own health (as we should be doing our entire life) and respect the personal choice and medical privacy of other guests. When someone feels they have to volunteer the info, we simply say "okay, thank you" and leave it at that. After being in an informational zoom meeting with our local Health Dept, it was suggested that we not bother asking, but whether we ask or not is up to us - and the fact is you may think you have a right to ask, but, there is nothing that can require a person to answer - unless you personally require it for staying at your inn...
To be fair to travelers, I just hope everyone is putting out your Inn's own policy well in advance so people know what to expect before someone books - or their arrival. We find guests happy to be traveling and pleasant to socialize with as we are busier in June than we've ever been. Our local industry is calling it "revenge tourism" LOL!

We have both been fully vaxxed since April. We are asking if folks are vaccinated upon arrival (not requiring proof, although many volunteer to share). Guests are told ahead of time that if they are NOT vaccinated they need to wear masks at check-in and when inside the inn in common areas only. So far only 10% of guests have said they are not vaxxed and all of them have arrived with masks on. There are also some vaxxed folks that keep their masks on inside no matter what. Since the 90% majority of our guests are indeed vaccinated folks and are still getting used to the "Old Normal", they tell us they feel more secure staying here knowing we are checking statuses. Thus they are our primary concern and whom we want to feel at ease vs those few who choose not to be vaxxed and are traveling.

We follow our current state guidelines, which say if a guest has been vaccinated they can be anywhere inside or out without masks. Unvaccinated guests must wear them inside. 95% of our guests are vaccinated, and the look of joy they have when they walk in the door, and I let them know if they're vaccinated they don't have the wear them is an amazing first-impression-happy. They peel those things off like strippers!

For those who might think our state guidelines are still a little strict, I'll remind you that our state led the nation in the lowest number of per capita cases, deaths and infection rates. What was a headache before is now a selling point, as guests are telling us they picked our state for vacation because they felt safe coming here.

We follow our current state guidelines, which say if a guest has been vaccinated they can be anywhere inside or out without masks. Unvaccinated guests must wear them inside. 95% of our guests are vaccinated, and the look of joy they have when they walk in the door, and I let them know if they're vaccinated they don't have the wear them is an amazing first-impression-happy. They peel those things off like strippers!

For those who might think our state guidelines are still a little strict, I'll remind you that our state led the nation in the lowest number of per capita cases, deaths and infection rates. What was a headache before is now a selling point, as guests are telling us they picked our state for vacation because they felt safe coming here.
Our New England state as well! Folks are choosing to come here in droves. And they are feeling truly liberated. We are breaking booking records. Best YTD in 16 years and ADR is zooming up and up.

On my recent vacation to the Northwest, we visited Fort Clatsop, where Lewis and Clark spent the winter along the Pacific coast before returning home the next spring. It's a National Park Service property, and as we walked into the visitor center we noticed the sign out front saying, "If you're fully vaccinated, masks are not required."

So we walked in without masks and told the ranger we are fully vaccinated. He still made us put the masks on! LOTS of mixed messages out there at present.

People are coming to West Virginia because it is mostly rural and has so much to offer. Mask mandate is pretty much gone - officially I believe on WV Birthday June 20. Most folks have already ditched them.

Oh, we were not high on the list and death numbers are now being changed since FEMA has been tasked with "helping" people get Covid on death certificates previously not listing it - so they can get "help" paying the burial costs (pre-paid funerals are out of luck).

On my recent vacation to the Northwest, we visited Fort Clatsop, ...as we walked into the visitor center we noticed the sign out front saying, "If you're fully vaccinated, masks are not required."

So we walked in without masks and told the ranger we are fully vaccinated. He still made us put the masks on! LOTS of mixed messages out there at present.

You were in my neck of the woods! Astoria and Clatsop County have been in and out of their 'high risk', 'low risk' status levels repeatedly over the past couple months. Not surprised the entry sign wasn't up to date! Good news there, case levels are dropping. One of my favorite restaurants Carruthers is doing some remodeling. We're all looking forward to it's re-opening.
Glad it was open when you visited. Really good interpretive center with some great trails for short or longer hikes. Did you have any favorite places you visited in the area? I always ask so I know what is currently popular with guests.

NPS still requires masking, since they are dealing with large record-breaking crowds, and they're traveling from everywhere - both states with strong safety restrictions in places and others with outbreaks. I have no problem with that.

Oh, and my state - which got lots of grief from travelers and others as being "too restrictive" and "smothering freedoms" - is now the first to reach an 80% vaccination rate, and as such our governor has removed ALL restrictions today. Let the travelers come!

Last edited:
NPS still requires masking, since they are dealing with large record-breaking crowds, and they're traveling from everywhere - both states with strong safety restrictions in places and others with outbreaks. I have no problem with that.

Oh, and my state - which got lots of grief from travelers and others as being "too restrictive" and "smothering freedoms" - is now the first to reach an 80% vaccination rate, and as such our governor has removed ALL restrictions today. Let the travelers come!
got anything for sale near you? We’re looking for a retirement house. Kids are in Essex, so maybe not exactly where you live. 😉

People are coming to West Virginia because it is mostly rural and has so much to offer. Mask mandate is pretty much gone - officially I believe on WV Birthday June 20. Most folks have already ditched them.

Oh, we were not high on the list and death numbers are now being changed since FEMA has been tasked with "helping" people get Covid on death certificates previously not listing it - so they can get "help" paying the burial costs (pre-paid funerals are out of luck).

I’m not a fan of gaming the system … but I’m also frustrated with the whole funeral ‘ industry ‘ and can see why people look for help paying.

My brother in law had covid in November, he was in ICU, then a nursing facility until he passed in February. His immediate family is on overwhelm. My sister, his wife, passed Christmas Eve 2019, one of their sons died of cancer In July, another son has the same cancer and is responding well to treatment. Funeral plans for my brother in law are on hold until his sick son is strong enough to attend a service.

Thus far, any benefit for covid funeral assistance for my brother in law has been denied … not so easy HERE to obtain even though he really should qualify. No one is ‘helping’ with the death certificate.

He was cremated and we will have some kind of service eventually.
Meanwhile several funeral brochures, offers, calls and suggestions have arrived for the family, including the strong pressure to pay $700 for a deluxe memorial video now while they prepare for the eventual funeral. I made a lovely one for someone on my home computer, and happen to believe it’s much nicer than the one for my late sister done by the funeral home. And I burned dvds for anyone who wanted one. Very inexpensive. The only advantage I can see to having the funeral home involved is that it’s still viewable on the legacy site. But I would think you could submit your own.

I was stunned at the cost of my sister’s small funeral, including military honor guard which is provided free by the military and which my brother in law will also have. There was a charge on my sister’s bill … I discovered after I requested an itemization … that mentioned military honor coordination for a few hundred. I got that charge removed after telling them I knew darn well all it required was a telephone call. Want to charge $20 for a phone call? Fine. But not $200. The family brought the ‘urn’ to the church, service provided by my sister’s brother in law in the clergy. There were also charges from the funeral home related to a ‘funeral procession’ which did not happen, graveside services … didn’t happen … an urn, the ‘urn’ is a ceramic cookie jar made by my sister years ago. One of my nephews has it. After agreeing to deduct about $5000 from the bill which was still huge after I went in line by line, they told me the services I questioned were usually standard and must have been accidentally keyed in.

sorry to rant.

I’m not a fan of gaming the system … but I’m also frustrated with the whole funeral ‘ industry ‘ and can see why people look for help paying.

My brother in law had covid in November, he was in ICU, then a nursing facility until he passed in February. His immediate family is on overwhelm. My sister, his wife, passed Christmas Eve 2020, one of their sons died of cancer In July, another son has the same cancer and is responding well to treatment. Funeral plans for my brother in law are on hold until his sick son is strong enough to attend a service.

Thus far, any benefit for covid funeral assistance for my brother in law has been denied … not so easy HERE to obtain even though he really should qualify. No one is ‘helping’ with the death certificate.

He was cremated and we will have some kind of service eventually.
Meanwhile several funeral brochures, offers, calls and suggestions have arrived for the family, including the strong pressure to pay $700 for a deluxe memorial video now while they prepare for the eventual funeral. I made a lovely one for someone on my home computer, and happen to believe it’s much nicer than the one for my late sister done by the funeral home. And I burned dvds for anyone who wanted one. Very inexpensive. The only advantage I can see to having the funeral home involved is that it’s still viewable on the legacy site. But I would think you could submit your own.

I was stunned at the cost of my sister’s small funeral, including military honor guard which is provided free by the military and which my brother in law will also have. There was a charge on my sister’s bill … I discovered after I requested an itemization … that mentioned military honor coordination for a few hundred. I got that charge removed after telling them I knew darn well all it required was a telephone call. Want to charge $20 for a phone call? Fine. But not $200. The family brought the ‘urn’ to the church, service provided by my sister’s brother in law in the clergy. There were also charges from the funeral home related to a ‘funeral procession’ which did not happen, graveside services … didn’t happen … an urn, the ‘urn’ is a ceramic cookie jar made by my sister years ago. One of my nephews has it. After agreeing to deduct about $5000 from the bill which was still huge after I went in line by line, they told me the services I questioned were usually standard and must have been accidentally keyed in.

sorry to rant.

You should rant. The charges from the funeral homes can be a total rip-off. I paid $1100 for cremation & 10 copies of the death certificate for my brother in NC in Dec 2016. 3 months later in March of 2017 it was $2600 & change for the same thing for Himself (was told it is the difference between State locations). No wake or embalming for either of them. no service - I took the urn to the church for the Memorial for Himself. We did nothing for my brother (his kids were in Nevada so not reason to). The local paper printed Himself's obit for $0 - the county seat daily was $300+ so did not do that either. The Tom-Tom Network got the word out - and although there were about 20 of just us family, there was over 100 people at Himself's Memorial - I was surprised.

@seashanty I am so sorry to hear about your family.

We were charged $250 for a ‘viewing’ (for one person) at the funeral home after the hospital refused to allow Gomez to see his brother in the morgue. Apparently they needed the bed immediately and couldn’t wait for Gomez to arrive at the hospital. (Only hospital workers allowed in the morgue. BS.) The funeral home didn’t do anything to ‘tidy up’ the body even tho there had been surgical procedures done to harvest organs. It was awful.

This was not a Covid-related death and no one has approached us to help get the death certificate changed to say otherwise.

How sad and terrible! I’m so sorry.
I don’t want to indite an entire profession, I’m sure there are those who are wonderful. But there are those who are not …

Seashanty, I’m so sorry. What a horrible year of tragic loss for your family. 💕

Morticia, that ordeal sounds horrible. I’m so sorry.

Back