Vacuum cleaner choices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I have the option of buying one of the following models, and no other.
If you have one of these, had one of these, threw one of these off a cliff, hug one of these each time you take it out to use, please let me know!
  • Dyson Animal Ball Roller
  • Eureka Whirlwind
  • Eureka Comfort Clean
  • Bissell Liftoff Pet
  • Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
  • Bissell Clearview Helix

I would like to know if any of these pet vaccums really do pick up pet hair. As in long and silky pet hair.
RIki

Alibi Ike said:
threw one of these off a cliff, hug one of these each time you take it out to use,
So very many of your posts make me laugh out loud! I love your take on things. :)

I would like to know if any of these pet vaccums really do pick up pet hair. As in long and silky pet hair.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Excellent! I am going back tomorrow to buy one of them. I will bring along a wad of dog hair and see if the thing actually works on it. Thanks for the idea.
I have one of those short, scruffy-haired dogs, not like yours, but that hair sticks to everything. Maybe I can grab a carpet square out of the rug dept and test on flat floor and carpet.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Excellent! I am going back tomorrow to buy one of them. I will bring along a wad of dog hair and see if the thing actually works on it. Thanks for the idea.
I have one of those short, scruffy-haired dogs, not like yours, but that hair sticks to everything. Maybe I can grab a carpet square out of the rug dept and test on flat floor and carpet.
Alibi Ike said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I was going to suggest you can borrow my dog. She can just walk across the floor and leave a wake of debris behind...

RIki.
I have a Hoover Self Propelled Vac and it picks up the tons of cat hair around here. I couldn't believe how much it got when I emptied the last bag. Boy this cat should be bald...but he's not.

DH wants an Oreck - he complains about the vac downstairs every time he uses it. It is one HE picked out and was soooo happy with the ease of using the tools. I have pointed out that the one HE wants has no tools. That has shut him up for now. He is deteriorating and I know the weight hurts his shoulder - but so far it is not one more thing i have to take over doing. I have started nudging him to just use the Shark. We have no animals to pick up after, just pine needles and general tracking so the Shark gets the surface nicely enough.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Alibi Ike said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I was going to suggest you can borrow my dog. She can just walk across the floor and leave a wake of debris behind...
When you take the dog hair, don't just drop it. Spread it out and stomp it in (hopefully carpet) so it gets ingrained into the carpet.
My dog has that long silky hair which is easier to pick up than a short haired dog, but can get imbedded in the carpet so the vaccum does not always get it all out.
RIki

DH wants an Oreck - he complains about the vac downstairs every time he uses it. It is one HE picked out and was soooo happy with the ease of using the tools. I have pointed out that the one HE wants has no tools. That has shut him up for now. He is deteriorating and I know the weight hurts his shoulder - but so far it is not one more thing i have to take over doing. I have started nudging him to just use the Shark. We have no animals to pick up after, just pine needles and general tracking so the Shark gets the surface nicely enough..
We have the Oreck, do not like it on wood floors and I think that's what you have. We have replaced so many parts on the Oreck over the years (which is a good thing, it is repairable) but now we are tired of having to do this. It does do a nice job along the edges of the carpets and that is important.
The Oreck is very lightweight compared with the ones I mentioned above which run about 15-22 lbs. The Oreck is about 12. We looked at one other model yesterday that would require 2 trips up and down the stairs to carry it.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Alibi Ike said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Better still! I can bring the dog with me. She can shake all over the place.

We have Dysons and absolutely love them....They work amazingly well on carpets with pet hair. We have two dogs!

We have the Animal Purple one (not the ball version) it wasn't an option when we bought and we also have the Yellow one I think DC17. We've been using them for at least 4 years now and they are still going strong.

RIki.
I have a Hoover Self Propelled Vac and it picks up the tons of cat hair around here. I couldn't believe how much it got when I emptied the last bag. Boy this cat should be bald...but he's not.
That model wasn't on Ike's list. :)

Got the Eureka Comfort Clean. It has a narrower profile than the Bissell we looked at so easier for getting between the beds & walls or dressers. It does not lie as flat as I would like for getting under the beds, but it gets far enough. Has attachments and a small head for doing the stairs! And side suction for along the baseboards. And a retractable cord, so it's neat & tidy.
Will give report on loudness & pickupability after we get it unpacked. Forgot to bring the dog hair with me and the salesperson said they don't do demos any longer because no one will buy the floor model if it's full of gunk. (Like no one thought to take the canisters out back to wash them!)
Had to argue for the sale price even though we went back again today because they couldn't/wouldn't give us the sale price yesterday. Saved $52 on 2 vacuums so worth the arguing.

Got the Eureka Comfort Clean. It has a narrower profile than the Bissell we looked at so easier for getting between the beds & walls or dressers. It does not lie as flat as I would like for getting under the beds, but it gets far enough. Has attachments and a small head for doing the stairs! And side suction for along the baseboards. And a retractable cord, so it's neat & tidy.
Will give report on loudness & pickupability after we get it unpacked. Forgot to bring the dog hair with me and the salesperson said they don't do demos any longer because no one will buy the floor model if it's full of gunk. (Like no one thought to take the canisters out back to wash them!)
Had to argue for the sale price even though we went back again today because they couldn't/wouldn't give us the sale price yesterday. Saved $52 on 2 vacuums so worth the arguing..
Good deal! How about size for storage? I'll be needing to replace a vacuum and need attachments, too. I will move the Oreck to the upstairs since it now doesn't get the same use and I can use it just as an upright since there are no attachments and bring another up as needed. My old vac is on it's last legs after 20 years or so....

Had to argue for the sale price even though we went back again today because they couldn't/wouldn't give us the sale price yesterday. Saved $52 on 2 vacuums so worth the arguing..
Good deal! How about size for storage? I'll be needing to replace a vacuum and need attachments, too. I will move the Oreck to the upstairs since it now doesn't get the same use and I can use it just as an upright since there are no attachments and bring another up as needed. My old vac is on it's last legs after 20 years or so....
It is larger all the way around than the Oreck. Plus, the dirt collecting part is hard plastic and not the soft fabric like the Oreck. It takes up more room and weighs about 6 lbs more than the Oreck. What I am hoping is that it works better on the wood floors, even though I have to flip a switch to go from floor surface to floor surface which you don't have to do with the Oreck. I may set it at 'medium' and leave it if it works there.
The Oreck will be retired to my downstairs and the second new vacuum will be used upstairs in my apt as well as a back-up in season when there are housekeepers needing separate vacuums. The 1983 Sears upright will be tossed off a cliff. Hallelujah!

DH wants an Oreck - he complains about the vac downstairs every time he uses it. It is one HE picked out and was soooo happy with the ease of using the tools. I have pointed out that the one HE wants has no tools. That has shut him up for now. He is deteriorating and I know the weight hurts his shoulder - but so far it is not one more thing i have to take over doing. I have started nudging him to just use the Shark. We have no animals to pick up after, just pine needles and general tracking so the Shark gets the surface nicely enough..
We have the Oreck, do not like it on wood floors and I think that's what you have. We have replaced so many parts on the Oreck over the years (which is a good thing, it is repairable) but now we are tired of having to do this. It does do a nice job along the edges of the carpets and that is important.
The Oreck is very lightweight compared with the ones I mentioned above which run about 15-22 lbs. The Oreck is about 12. We looked at one other model yesterday that would require 2 trips up and down the stairs to carry it.
I have wood floors with area carpets. I have the vac set on medium. I have yet to find one that lasts more than a couple years other than the Royal tank vac we spent a fortune for while in Illinois (DH choice) - still works except the part that did carpets failed and before I could find out about getting it fixed, DH threw it into oblivion and it went to the curb. We still have the vac for hevy-duty hose use. My upstairs vac switch broke so it is plug it in until done and then unplug. It still works...

Back