Vacuums love/hate relationship

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have a Progressive canister from Sears which I love because it cleans so well. I love the canister because the motorized head is easy to maneuver and gets under things easily. I like the attachments too, especially the motor driven upholstery cleaner which can remove cat hair from chairs. But I hate it because it is loud and clumsy & heavy.
I see many of you use Orecks. Consumer Reports did not like them, so I went with the Progressive. Sounds like they do the job though. I think I should invest in one if we do go through with the purchase (lawyer is looking over papers). Which model(s) are best? Will have to carry it up a step into each of the motel rooms too. Is there another vac I should consider? (Pets will not be in the inn or motel.)

American Hotel usually has a good variety of vacuums including some bagless with washable HEPA filters that do a good job without too much noise. Very smart to be thinking in advance of those steps you'll have. Also smart to be thinking of the noise!

I currently do NOT have an Oreck but it WILL be my next one!! Get one that is for commercial use - 8 LBs you will never find another heavy duty vacuum that is lighter - I know I have tried! I have spent lots of $ on what are considered very good - good ratings etc.. I have heard nothing but good reports on Oreck - basic models no bells and whistles. I am not sure if they still have it but bed and breakfast dot com had a special promotion if you were a member, maybe PAII also? Check them out if you plan on joining either before buying retail.

American Hotel usually has a good variety of vacuums including some bagless with washable HEPA filters that do a good job without too much noise. Very smart to be thinking in advance of those steps you'll have. Also smart to be thinking of the noise!.
Thanks--Must confess I was thinking about me hating the noise more than the guests. I vacuum everything--including the bath, and the idea of lugging around a heavy vac makes me shutter. I think I may splurge and get one for upstairs at the inn as well. I think it is important not to skimp on the things that you have to use everyday, it makes life easier to have the right equipment for the job.

American Hotel usually has a good variety of vacuums including some bagless with washable HEPA filters that do a good job without too much noise. Very smart to be thinking in advance of those steps you'll have. Also smart to be thinking of the noise!.
Thanks--Must confess I was thinking about me hating the noise more than the guests. I vacuum everything--including the bath, and the idea of lugging around a heavy vac makes me shutter. I think I may splurge and get one for upstairs at the inn as well. I think it is important not to skimp on the things that you have to use everyday, it makes life easier to have the right equipment for the job.
Not only does the right equipment make life easier, it pays to buy equipment that's especially made for commercial use. Made for daily use and lasts longer.

I currently do NOT have an Oreck but it WILL be my next one!! Get one that is for commercial use - 8 LBs you will never find another heavy duty vacuum that is lighter - I know I have tried! I have spent lots of $ on what are considered very good - good ratings etc.. I have heard nothing but good reports on Oreck - basic models no bells and whistles. I am not sure if they still have it but bed and breakfast dot com had a special promotion if you were a member, maybe PAII also? Check them out if you plan on joining either before buying retail..
Do you know if Oreck vacs have motorized beater bars? I like that feature. I sure like the idea of 8 lbs! Nice to hear from those who have been there, done that. Thanks, again.

I currently do NOT have an Oreck but it WILL be my next one!! Get one that is for commercial use - 8 LBs you will never find another heavy duty vacuum that is lighter - I know I have tried! I have spent lots of $ on what are considered very good - good ratings etc.. I have heard nothing but good reports on Oreck - basic models no bells and whistles. I am not sure if they still have it but bed and breakfast dot com had a special promotion if you were a member, maybe PAII also? Check them out if you plan on joining either before buying retail..
Do you know if Oreck vacs have motorized beater bars? I like that feature. I sure like the idea of 8 lbs! Nice to hear from those who have been there, done that. Thanks, again.
You know, I don't know if Oreck vacs have the beater bar or not. Some commercial models do. Here's a link to the bagless model I was talking about. It's not only super quiet, the HEPA filter is washable so you NEVER have to replace it. You'll find a lot of Oreck models there, too, and a good range of other commercial (and residential) vaccuums.
The quieter the better, IMHO. Most of the time guests will be up and out of their rooms when cleaning is happening in the room next door. But not always.
And if there are any steps at all, lightweight becomes important, too.
Expected lifetime for the motor is something I generally look at.
Bagless is nice, especially if you're planning to go green. Washable filters are the most green.

I have had Orecks here for more than a decade. Personally, you couldn't give me a bagless. I want to throw the dirt away, not have to dump and clean out a receptacle. Ick!

Just a comment on the bag versus bagless vacuums. I currently have a bagless and I don't plan on going back to a bag vacuum if I can help it. Initially, I did it for the cost savings, but have found that with the bagless I empty the container much more frequently because I can see what's going into it. IMO a vacuum works better when the container (bag or bagless) is emptier. Also, I can see right away if the vacuum is not picking up like I think it should. Sometimes the vacuum is not picking up but will still make marks on the carpet as if it is and with the bagless I don't get fooled by that. I agree it can sometimes be messy; but seeing what's going on inside that container gives me a lot more insight into what's going on with the vacuum, as well as the room I'm cleaning.

I can sit down and write my thoughts on vacuums, we have gone through plenty of them. 8 lbs is MAJOR in my estimation, I used a standby the other day and it nearly killed me hauling it up th stairs. And the other thing with the bagless beside the dust going everywhere is have a child vacuum up a cat doo doo and see what happens, THROW THE DANG THING AWAY after that.
Oreck have the technology. They have the suction. They are not super loud and scare your animals away like they are being hunted. They have SUPER LONG CORDS. They have NASA technology - I won't research it or paste it here, go to the website. I went in to Oreck and did a test on one and bought that model right then and there in my hand, "WRAP IT UP!" I said and took it.
No bells and whistles to break...k.i.s.s. same with washing machines...
Bagless are rubbish. There is nothing green about getting a faceful of dust and pollen and dirt when you empty it. I have had 5 models of bagless and will never go back to those, ever. Even the outside of the bagless get dust collected on them as they draw it to them. Green is taking all that dust and dirt and keeping it IN THE BAG that puffing it back out into the environment.
Oreck are light enough to use on steps themselves. No hose, attachments.

I can sit down and write my thoughts on vacuums, we have gone through plenty of them. 8 lbs is MAJOR in my estimation, I used a standby the other day and it nearly killed me hauling it up th stairs. And the other thing with the bagless beside the dust going everywhere is have a child vacuum up a cat doo doo and see what happens, THROW THE DANG THING AWAY after that.
Oreck have the technology. They have the suction. They are not super loud and scare your animals away like they are being hunted. They have SUPER LONG CORDS. They have NASA technology - I won't research it or paste it here, go to the website. I went in to Oreck and did a test on one and bought that model right then and there in my hand, "WRAP IT UP!" I said and took it.
No bells and whistles to break...k.i.s.s. same with washing machines...
Bagless are rubbish. There is nothing green about getting a faceful of dust and pollen and dirt when you empty it. I have had 5 models of bagless and will never go back to those, ever. Even the outside of the bagless get dust collected on them as they draw it to them. Green is taking all that dust and dirt and keeping it IN THE BAG that puffing it back out into the environment.
Oreck are light enough to use on steps themselves. No hose, attachments..
I too favor a vac with a bag. Not only the dust/mess in emptying, but also if I vac up bugs--spiders, flies, asian lady bugs and box elder bugs in the fall. I like to pull the bag out and put duct tape over the hole and into the trash it goes! I'm big on hepa bags & filters too. If I vac I sure don't want the dust/pollen redistributed.
I do like the way mine cleans. Bought mine after a friend showed me how good it was at cleaning cat hair off her sofa. I had an upright eureka at the shop, but would haul the big gun in sometimes. What a difference it made, actually has an adjustment to allow a little air in to lessen the suction. Dogs and cats do clear out tho, as well as DH. It does give one a feeling of power! Run in fear!!!
Love the idea of a long cord too. I hope it is nice and rubbery and not stiff to coil? Will def. check out Orecks. Thanks

Just jumping in right now, from lurker to participant. I put some info in my profile in case you want to see why I think I know anything about vacuums. Or innkeeping! Just want to add that I love, love, love my Dyson vacuum cleaners! We have one upstairs in our cleaning and supply closet and one downstairs so lugging is no problem. We have two dogs who could supply a mattress factory, they're such shedders. Those Dysons get it all! We'll go into a room after a one night stay and vacuum with an empty canister and it comes out 1/4 full. Sucks up every bit of dust they walk in there. Expensive, but worth it. One is 6 years old and the other 2. The Dysons, not the dogs.
On another cleaning note, I just starting using a Bissell steam mop on our wood and tile floors and it has transformed the floor-scrubbing process from time-consuming to easy. We bought extra pads because this is a 6,000 sq. ft. house and the pads get dirty fast. It's also great with spot mopping. Our floors look noticeably better.
Is anyone using the Oreck steam cleaning tool for bathrooms, counters and such? We're thinking of adding that to our cleaning arsenal next. The infomercial makes cleaning the shower doors look easy. Guess the infomercial is doing its job, but does anyone have personal experience?
Thanks for the forum, I learn a lot here and feel comforted by the sharing of familiar experiences.

Welcome Pollyanna, we love that movie too. I forgot about Dyson. I have wondered about them! Thanks for sharing.

Just jumping in right now, from lurker to participant. I put some info in my profile in case you want to see why I think I know anything about vacuums. Or innkeeping! Just want to add that I love, love, love my Dyson vacuum cleaners! We have one upstairs in our cleaning and supply closet and one downstairs so lugging is no problem. We have two dogs who could supply a mattress factory, they're such shedders. Those Dysons get it all! We'll go into a room after a one night stay and vacuum with an empty canister and it comes out 1/4 full. Sucks up every bit of dust they walk in there. Expensive, but worth it. One is 6 years old and the other 2. The Dysons, not the dogs.
On another cleaning note, I just starting using a Bissell steam mop on our wood and tile floors and it has transformed the floor-scrubbing process from time-consuming to easy. We bought extra pads because this is a 6,000 sq. ft. house and the pads get dirty fast. It's also great with spot mopping. Our floors look noticeably better.
Is anyone using the Oreck steam cleaning tool for bathrooms, counters and such? We're thinking of adding that to our cleaning arsenal next. The infomercial makes cleaning the shower doors look easy. Guess the infomercial is doing its job, but does anyone have personal experience?
Thanks for the forum, I learn a lot here and feel comforted by the sharing of familiar experiences..
Welcome!
Thanks for your input. Do the Dysons weigh very much? I am an aspiring, long story-- offer is on property, but it is a 10,000sq ft, with an 8 unit motel and a log cabin; I will be lugging vacs around tons. I plan on help but know reality too. Also is yours bagless? What kinds of dogs? I have a basset and a golden/chow mix ( my "Wooly-Bear" and worst offender hair wise). I also have 3 cats one long haired who adds her share. (Pets will not be at the Inn).

Thanks for the forum, I learn a lot here and feel comforted by the sharing of familiar experiences..
Welcome!
Thanks for your input. Do the Dysons weigh very much? I am an aspiring, long story-- offer is on property, but it is a 10,000sq ft, with an 8 unit motel and a log cabin; I will be lugging vacs around tons. I plan on help but know reality too. Also is yours bagless? What kinds of dogs? I have a basset and a golden/chow mix ( my "Wooly-Bear" and worst offender hair wise). I also have 3 cats one long haired who adds her share. (Pets will not be at the Inn).
Hi White Pine. I'm not sure exactly how much they weigh. But I have not been working out any time lately, and I have no problem. My teenage daughter picks them up with one hand and carries them. I think all Dysons are bagless. We put it deep into an empty kitchen trash can, release the latch and there goes all the hair, dust, etc. However, I will say that I give them a quick wipe-off after emptying as fine dust can settle on the outside.
We have a golden and a labradoodle. The labradoodle has wiry hair and does shed. Most are curly, more poodle-y and do not shed. We give our cat a regular bath and frequent brushings and this keeps cat allergies from bothering me and guests. Of course, having a cat on our website drives some with allergies away, because how are they to know this works? My kids found this cat when a kitten and I could not resist their longing and pleading so we had to figure out a way to keep her. She's 12 now and I have never had a problem. but if I go in a house with cats, oh boy, super allergies. Animals do create a hair problem but I think they also add something sweet to a B & B. We had one weekly guest who just adored a younger cat we had and would let the cat in her room to sit in her lap. The cat died recently
cry_smile.gif
and this guest came to our kitty funeral under our back yard tree. She read a cat poem aloud. And cried! Of course, some guests do not just love animals and when we sense that, we keep them in our private quarters.
Don't forget my question, folks, about the Oreck steam cleaner. Maybe I'll start a separate thread on that later....

Oh my goodness, I did a boo-boo and posted twice! Sorry! Any way to delete excessive posts? Sorry for being a posting doofus!

Oh my goodness, I did a boo-boo and posted twice! Sorry! Any way to delete excessive posts? Sorry for being a posting doofus!.
Hi Pollyanna!
Welcome to the dufus club! I'm new to this too, but found you can go back in and "Edit" to remove a duplicate post! Our pets were all rescued animals. The long-hairs get shaved in the summer. They seem to like it, and it cuts down on the hair load. Now if I could only stop DH from shedding.
I started a cleaning favorite things thread, maybe someone will post there about steam cleaners. I like the idea of your little shop, but don't think it will work for us. I miss my shops, I had several plush & toy lines too. Do you do puzzles? I found them very good sellers too.
Back to topic, what do you do with bugs you vac up? Does the Dyson have attachments for furniture and drapes?

Oh my goodness, I did a boo-boo and posted twice! Sorry! Any way to delete excessive posts? Sorry for being a posting doofus!.
Hi Pollyanna!
Welcome to the dufus club! I'm new to this too, but found you can go back in and "Edit" to remove a duplicate post! Our pets were all rescued animals. The long-hairs get shaved in the summer. They seem to like it, and it cuts down on the hair load. Now if I could only stop DH from shedding.
I started a cleaning favorite things thread, maybe someone will post there about steam cleaners. I like the idea of your little shop, but don't think it will work for us. I miss my shops, I had several plush & toy lines too. Do you do puzzles? I found them very good sellers too.
Back to topic, what do you do with bugs you vac up? Does the Dyson have attachments for furniture and drapes?
Thank you for the tip, I will go back in and delete the double post. If we vacuum up a live bug or spidey, we dump in the outside garbage can, not inside. Yes the Dyson has attachments for everything. It's a well-designed machine. I will look for the cleaning posts and re-state the question about the steam cleaner.

I use a Dyson and love it. I had been an Oreck lover before that....althought I still like Orecks I am impressed with the Dyson. I have the Slim Model. It is orange and grey and it is lighter than some of the other models. I have vacuumed everyday for the past four years with it and it picks up a lot of dirt. I love seeing it the dirt swirl around in the bagless container. When it needs emtpying I take it outside to the garbage can and stick the container in the can and press the release button and bottom of the can opens and the dirt falls out.

I use a Dyson and love it. I had been an Oreck lover before that....althought I still like Orecks I am impressed with the Dyson. I have the Slim Model. It is orange and grey and it is lighter than some of the other models. I have vacuumed everyday for the past four years with it and it picks up a lot of dirt. I love seeing it the dirt swirl around in the bagless container. When it needs emtpying I take it outside to the garbage can and stick the container in the can and press the release button and bottom of the can opens and the dirt falls out..
Glad to hear you have used both. Do you think the Dyson cleans better than the Oreck? Is it lighter than the Oreck?

Back