Valentine's Day Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What specialty are you whipping up on V-Day? Any plans to decorate the dining room or the plates?
I'm awful at holiday stuff, so really looking for hints. It may be a full house so we won't be doing anything over the top. But I'd like to have something a little different.
We don't tend to get 'romantic' getaways, but I'd like to have something Valentine-y.

I have some heart-shaped muffin tins - I often make some kind of chocolate muffin (dark, with orange extract) in them and dust with a little confectioner's sugar. Lay a doily on top for a lacy effect. I put one on the bread plate at each setting rather than my usual family style plate in the middle.
I usually use berries - strawberries, raspberries - in the fruit dish or to top it, with homemade whipped cream. You could use some chocolate shavings or pomegrante seeds for garnish, too.
Heart-shaped doilies underneath things for the day, heart-shaped wreath on the door, rosebuds in the rooms.

We may use our heart shaped muffin tins, and always have our specialty chocolates, but since we are expecting another snowstorm I'm not planning on anything until I'm sure our guests will be able to come.
This storm should stop in enough time for the roads to clear for our Monday guests, but then we are being told another storm is coming on Tuesday so I'm not sure if they will be able to come. Now they say another storm this Saturday. So our Wednesday guests should be in the clear.. but the next two weekends are all booked, and we've already lost three weekends of guests for both the B&B and tours, and it sure hurts!!!
Riki

i hosted a valentine breakfast one year ... on a budget! i bought a packet of those school day valentines for 99 cents and some of the little hearts with the sayings on them. i just sprinkled the candy around on the tables and stood up or propped up or lay down the valentines all around on the tables. white tablecloths and red napkins (but only because i already had them) and candles (now i'd use flameless). cinammon red hearts in a couple small glasses. it was fun. especially as the guests were middle aged, they were picking up the valentines and remembering school day exchanges and started giving them to each other at the tables. (( roses were out of the budget so i didn't go there ))

i hosted a valentine breakfast one year ... on a budget! i bought a packet of those school day valentines for 99 cents and some of the little hearts with the sayings on them. i just sprinkled the candy around on the tables and stood up or propped up or lay down the valentines all around on the tables. white tablecloths and red napkins (but only because i already had them) and candles (now i'd use flameless). cinammon red hearts in a couple small glasses. it was fun. especially as the guests were middle aged, they were picking up the valentines and remembering school day exchanges and started giving them to each other at the tables. (( roses were out of the budget so i didn't go there )).
That's what I thought about doing...some little 'conversation hearts' on the table. I like the idea of the V-Day cards for kiddies. I have the lacy paper doilies and I'm making the red tablecloths today, I have white napkins.
I have a heart-shaped muffin tin. THAT was a disaster last year! I had to cut the tops off everything because they all rose up too much and the shape was gone, except on the bottom! I'll be a little more careful with the measurements this year.
I'd love candles, even real ones. I have tons of candle holders I should drag out.

Great ideas. We are usually full on Valentine's if it is a weekend. But are not fully scheduled yet, probably due to the uncertain weather. I like to make heart shaped scones...make a small indention in the center and place a half teaspoon of your favorite red preserves (strawberry) in the indention. Then, I use a strawberry platescape drizzle to make a graceful heart shape on the plates...plus, if you place a circle of the red drizzle and quickly draw your toothpick through it, it makes a great heart. Use a clean toothpick for each heart. These look good in a row of three, curving with the plate. These little things work for us because they don't require ingredients to be on hand just for Valentine's. Sliced strawberries also make excellent heart shapes if when you are taking out the leaves/greens at top, you make a "v" cut prior to slicing. I tuck the strawberry "hearts" into the edge of the tiny dish on the bread plate which holds the Devonshire cream for the scones.
We also have collected little heart shaped dishes which we use for the bedside chocolates on Valentine's. Plus, when we do Valentine turndown, we sprinkle the linen with silk pink and red valentine shaped rose petals, and place a book of love poetry just so. We keep the petals and love poetry books on hand and use them for anniversaries, engagements, honeymoons, too. Of course, we have Valentine specials where we include truffles, flowers, too.
Have more ideas, but this is getting long already.

I won't be doing anything different for breakfast, but we do include a small heartshaped box of chocolates with each reservation over the Valentines day weekend.

I won't be doing anything different for breakfast, but we do include a small heartshaped box of chocolates with each reservation over the Valentines day weekend..
I have done that on occasion. This year I am changing it up a little and offering a small cheese/fruit platter with two chocolate-dipped strawberries. I found some cute vintage tin rectangles at the Christmas Tree shop to hold the cheese and will add a rosebud in a small vase.

I usually would just do bit of a red twist on a french toast recipe. Either a rasperry sauce served with traditional french toast or a rasperry-cream cheese stuffing for stuffed french toast.
I've also done chocolate waffles that were especially well-liked on Valentine's Day.

I'll do chocolate muffins, red berries with fresh whipped cream with chocolate shavings, some kind of eggs with a side of Belgian waffle sections in heart shape. (Raspberry syrup will be offered, along with the maple.) The table will be decorated in red with our red & white plates, red juice glasses, the whole shebang. Probably roses for flowers on the table. One room is getting room service so far that morning.

I got some kid Valentines to spread around, some heart-shaped chocolates for the rooms, almost finished making the tablecloths, will probably try to cut the strawberries into hearts and am going to get a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make apples for the baked brie with raspberry sauce.
Thanks! I feel energized again.

I got some kid Valentines to spread around, some heart-shaped chocolates for the rooms, almost finished making the tablecloths, will probably try to cut the strawberries into hearts and am going to get a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make apples for the baked brie with raspberry sauce.
Thanks! I feel energized again..
Sounds wonderful. Take pix!

Thanks! I feel energized again..
Sounds wonderful. Take pix!
I will probably take pix this week, in advance so I don't have to try to do it after eveything is 'messed up'.

Back