Valentine's Day Minimum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Is anyone eles making Valentine's Day a two night minimum? This is one of my least favorite times. It seems that the people that book are not really bed and breakfast people. She thinks it would be a romantic idea and he might not like it. Then she might want a proposal and it might not happen. Just my perception. This year I am making it a two night minimum.

I haven't ever made it a 2 nighter. It's a tough weekend for us because the weather is so uncertain. Most guests stay 2 nights anyway because they are coming from 3-4 hours away.
3 rooms are repeats who come every year.

ohmy! it never occurred to me one would think romance and the other would not.
broken_heart.gif

i am a hopeless romantic, i think valentine's day at a b&b would be so lovely. tub for two - preferably the kind that makes bubbles :)
. champagne (in plastic glasses is fine) chocolates ... *sigh*

I'd be happy with just a couple of rooms for that time of year.

Mom and pop motel so maybe a different ball game, but our plan for this year is Friday/Saturday. For us even just 2 days means some Friday/Saturday and some Saturday/Sunday and we are left with orphan days on Friday and Sunday, of course last minute I may be singing a different tune if this doesn't work.

Maybe we will take a road trip and BE Valentine guests this year.
heart.gif

This is the first year in 26 years that we are closed for the winter. Thankfully we don't have to worry about having guests in bad weather (shoveling out paths and cars, cancellations etc.), getting sick (we are both down with a bug at the moment and it was always one of us who was sick around Valentine's day each year), and doing more work for less $. I am running our numbers from last year to see if we can cut back our schedule even further next year...and it feels great to know that we might be able to.
It seems funny to be on the "other" side of building a business as we wind down. We are still grateful for all of our guests and look forward to having a good, but reduced, summer season.

We have already surpassed our receipts for last January. So we'll go with the flow.

Always a 2 night minimum for us, even when it's during the week. If the rooms midweek aren't booked as two nights two days before, I then drop them to a 1 night. I know that they will always fill up -- why? because guys don't plan in advance. (Sorry male innkeepers reading this.) They just don't. I'll get at least a dozen calls valentine's week and they will all be from guys and I'm already fully booked so they're gonna miss out.
But … I would check your booking engine and see what each year has done for the past 3 and then determine what works for you. Obviously, some locations don't allow you to be strict with minimums so it's better to get one night than none.

We're a university town. Our only two-night minimums are football games (6 to 7 times a year), graduations (3 times a year), and family/parents weekends (twice a year). After a busy football season one night stays seem like our vacation! We do enjoy that season though, even when weather is bad and suddenly we have a houseful of guests who decide to stay "home" from the game and watch it with us. We get free good take-out and beer on those nights!!

We are literally giving rooms away this February the month of love - the entire month is a BOGO. Even THAT weekend. We NEVER EVER get two nighters for Valentine's Day, if we did I would exclude that weekend. But since we don't it is the whole ball of wax...
We did this two years ago and had guests who had never been to a B&B give us a try. The polar opposite of what you are saying and trying to attract. But you have to start somewhere...VA
heart.gif
is for lovers...

Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday of a 3 day holiday weekend this year. Since our niche is romantic getaway, we're able to have a 3 night minimum. When V-day falls midweek, forgetaboutit.

We are closed. Not taking any chances with the weather.

Always a 2 night min when on a weekend, not so when it falls during the week.

Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday of a 3 day holiday weekend this year. Since our niche is romantic getaway, we're able to have a 3 night minimum. When V-day falls midweek, forgetaboutit..
Didn't realize it was the holiday weekend, too. Will go change the minimum.

Valentine's Day is always a 2-day for us, as a romantic getaway B&B. President's Day weekend is always a 3-day weekend. So 3-days it is. We usually have a few rooms still unbooked with 5 days out, and at that point we'll tweak them down to 2-days.

Back