Valentines Day specials

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know, i NEVER got so much as a thank you from guests when i gifted them with a cake or flowers for special occasions. i wonder why?

you know, i NEVER got so much as a thank you from guests when i gifted them with a cake or flowers for special occasions. i wonder why?.
seashanty said:
you know, i NEVER got so much as a thank you from guests when i gifted them with a cake or flowers for special occasions. i wonder why?
Pretty standard...only a few guests have really thanked us for the b'day card & gift or the anniv card & gift. One guy (long time repeat) was very surprised and thanked us a few times. I've had few brides cry when they saw the card & gift. The folks this summer who had all the rain on the inn to inn pkg really liked the sunflower I put in their room. But, mostly, it's take and no thanks.
Which is why I do this because someone did it for me once and not for the kudos. I still remember the thought that went into it, even tho I can't remember the place! Somewhere in P-town.

not for kudos, which i would call praise, but i think it's rude not to thank someone ... i thank the people who bag my groceries, etc. it's good manners and it hopefully makes the doer feel good. for sure i'd want to THANK YOU if you put some flowers, a card or a whole little cake in my room just because.
maybe i am too sensitive.

you know, i NEVER got so much as a thank you from guests when i gifted them with a cake or flowers for special occasions. i wonder why?.
Oh my...our guests always raved and thanked us for the cake in their room. Sorry.

not for kudos, which i would call praise, but i think it's rude not to thank someone ... i thank the people who bag my groceries, etc. it's good manners and it hopefully makes the doer feel good. for sure i'd want to THANK YOU if you put some flowers, a card or a whole little cake in my room just because.
maybe i am too sensitive..
seashanty said:
I was just saying this exact thing. I made that homemade peanut brittle and put it in a snowfalke paper doiley on an antique dish outside the one room on wed door. I even put a zip lock baggie if they wanted to save it for tomorrow. The plate was empty, and it was GREAT peanut brittle I will add, and no comment about it.
I said to the man here - ya know if someone made me homemade anything I would be so excited. Maybe we just forget in our excitement to say something? I had a super delicious homemade carrot cake the other day - carrot cake being the man's all time favorite and one kids favorite, we all loved it. We enjoyed it.
Other than inn-mates B&B's I have NEVER EVER EVER received any special treatment, even when telling the hosts on rez that it is an anniv or bday, nothing nada zilch. Those on this forum EXCEL I mean that, they EXCEL! People get spoiled. I have a wedding night tonight and already have an outlook reminder to put a symphony bar and card in their room and congrats on the board with their names. (Symph bar becasue #1 it is super delish, #2 I can write something corny like making beautiful music, hitting all the right notes,their new life together etc in the card)

No, you're not too sensitive! I have cut back on my "freebies" for that reason. If folks can't even say "thanks", I'm done. A card & chocolate bar is my max now. They can buy a package if they want something special! I should have listened to the "Wise Ones".
embaressed_smile.gif
Live & learn....
I think that I will put together a package for the entire month of February also for the romance seekers.

seashanty said:
I was just saying this exact thing. I made that homemade peanut brittle and put it in a snowfalke paper doiley on an antique dish outside the one room on wed door. I even put a zip lock baggie if they wanted to save it for tomorrow. The plate was empty, and it was GREAT peanut brittle I will add, and no comment about it.
I said to the man here - ya know if someone made me homemade anything I would be so excited. Maybe we just forget in our excitement to say something? I had a super delicious homemade carrot cake the other day - carrot cake being the man's all time favorite and one kids favorite, we all loved it. We enjoyed it.
Other than inn-mates B&B's I have NEVER EVER EVER received any special treatment, even when telling the hosts on rez that it is an anniv or bday, nothing nada zilch. Those on this forum EXCEL I mean that, they EXCEL! People get spoiled. I have a wedding night tonight and already have an outlook reminder to put a symphony bar and card in their room and congrats on the board with their names. (Symph bar becasue #1 it is super delish, #2 I can write something corny like making beautiful music, hitting all the right notes,their new life together etc in the card)
Our guests almost always comment on the baked treats. They are definitely appreciated. I will say that! But going above & beyond for anniv, birthday, etc. with special flowers or truffles or choc dipped strawberries. Nope. I am sticking to your candy bar & $1 store card idea. Thanks for that! They can pay for the other stuff in a package. Not even a year in biz and I'm getting a little cynical. tee hee....

We made $20 tip today from a room with a nice note. But ya know - to be honest - we did give them a $40 discount, sooooooooooooo?

seashanty said:
Our guests almost always comment on the baked treats. They are definitely appreciated. I will say that! But going above & beyond for anniv, birthday, etc. with special flowers or truffles or choc dipped strawberries. Nope. I am sticking to your candy bar & $1 store card idea. Thanks for that! They can pay for the other stuff in a package. Not even a year in biz and I'm getting a little cynical. tee hee....
Samster said:
tsk tsk tsk $1 store card? Please gimmee some credit! I actually get them 2/$1 or like at IKEA recently they had packs of cool blank cards with envelopes $1.89 a pack of 10 and it was BOGO, so I got 20 for $1.89 SCORE!

seashanty said:
Samster said:
tsk tsk tsk $1 store card? Please gimmee some credit! I actually get them 2/$1 or like at IKEA recently they had packs of cool blank cards with envelopes $1.89 a pack of 10 and it was BOGO, so I got 20 for $1.89 SCORE!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
OK, with the BOGO you have me beat. Up until that, tho...my cards are $.10 each.

seashanty said:
Samster said:
Haha! Oops... Yes, mine are from the $1 store also - 2/$1 on the types that I can't get in the pack for $1 (like birthday cards). I get the congrats, anniversary, for 2/$1.

We made $20 tip today from a room with a nice note. But ya know - to be honest - we did give them a $40 discount, sooooooooooooo?.
I had 42 cents in change left in 2 rooms from the full house over the Thanksgiving weekend. I can't even get a taco from Taco Bell with that! haha!

We made $20 tip today from a room with a nice note. But ya know - to be honest - we did give them a $40 discount, sooooooooooooo?.
I had 42 cents in change left in 2 rooms from the full house over the Thanksgiving weekend. I can't even get a taco from Taco Bell with that! haha!
Samster said:
I started putting the 'spare change' along with the 'real tips' into a jar. We used that money for meals on our vacation. But, that's a year's worth of spare change...

Samster said:
Maybe you can put a giant brandy snifter on the piano with some starter one dollar bills...
Its a pretty good crowd for a saturday
And the manager gives me a smile
cause he knows that its me theyve been comin to see
To forget about life for a while
And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
And say, man, what are you doin here?

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

Samster said:
Maybe you can put a giant brandy snifter on the piano with some starter one dollar bills...

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da
Too funny! I will let the one with the talent for playing the piano know about that
teeth_smile.gif
Since I do the bulk of the work around here, I'm keeping any tips I find for myself, including that 42 cents!

Samster said:

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da
I would get- Do you take requests?
Why, yes, I do.
Then please stop singing.

bottom line for me ... if you want to give something extra, do something extra, do it because it makes you happy. last time i put a little birthday cake in a guest room because i was told it was a birthday. two nite stay ... this was mentioned at breakfast (which was waffles by the way with fruit and whipped cream which they ATE with lots of maple syrup) so that afternoon, i put a darling little cake with flowers on it and happy birthday in swirly letters, little plates and forks and napkins ... all on a tray on a table in their room with a flameless candle. next day, i see that the cake was dumped unceremoniously in the guestroom trash and the wife told me 'we don't eat sweets' ...
sad_smile.gif
... maybe the other guests would have enjoyed a little of that cake?

bottom line for me ... if you want to give something extra, do something extra, do it because it makes you happy. last time i put a little birthday cake in a guest room because i was told it was a birthday. two nite stay ... this was mentioned at breakfast (which was waffles by the way with fruit and whipped cream which they ATE with lots of maple syrup) so that afternoon, i put a darling little cake with flowers on it and happy birthday in swirly letters, little plates and forks and napkins ... all on a tray on a table in their room with a flameless candle. next day, i see that the cake was dumped unceremoniously in the guestroom trash and the wife told me 'we don't eat sweets' ...
sad_smile.gif
... maybe the other guests would have enjoyed a little of that cake?.
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
... maybe the other guests would have enjoyed a little of that cake?
That's just rude. Even if they don't eat sweets (and here they are saying they don't eat desserts, not sweets) they should just have left the cake on the table.
I had a woman order my birthday pkg and when she arrived they both said they don't eat sweets but the pkg is specifically a cake (and she didn't ask for anything in substitution). AND, she's a professional cake baker to boot! I didn't get the whole purpose in ordering the pkg at all.

I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other"

I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other"
It's like that here. (And I mean my HOUSE.) The cards come in for hubs, I put them on the 'card' table and once MY b'day rolls around, I toss hubs' cards in the trash. HE never looks at them once he's opened the envelope and taken them out. They just lay around the house wherever he puts them down until I display them. Why I display them, I don't know. Probably because I know someone has gone to the effort of buying him the card and sending it out. No, wait, the real reason is that it is MY family alone that sends him the cards. Yeesh. My mom sends a card and there's a card from my brother's kids (to: uncle). And one from me and one from the dog. (And I used to do one from the cat, too, when we had a cat.)

Back