Valpack or Moneymailer. Do they work?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
Our local b&b association is purchasing on of the advertising paper ads that are mailed out in an envelope with about 40 other ads for anything from pizza to dry cleaning. In our area we have Valpack or Moneymailer. The papers are not very big (3" x 7") so not a lot of room for photos or text. We are thinking of just advertising our groups web site and giving 25% off of a two night stay during the next 2 months (our slow season). Marketing was my profession before Innkeeping and I know that print ads are a terrible return on investment but everyone wants to give this a try. Eight of us will spend about $100 each and advertise to upscale zip codes in th Las Vegas area. They are 170 miles from our city and make up about 50% of our guests. Has anyone tried this with success or failure or have a better idea than just 25% off. The hook needs to be something that all 8 inns can do.
In a few months I will post the numbers.

If it's any help, I throw those mailers out. I have a short attention span and they all run together after looking at a couple of them.
Can you, as a group that is already planning an expenditure of $100 each, do your own mailing? The Post Office will help with learning how if someone doesn't know how to bulk mail to a zip code. It could be a simple postcard with a scenic photo of your area with your blurb on the back.
That way it is just your group that's getting the attention and people read postcards if for no other reason than they don't have to open an envelope.

Sorry, but for me...that is not a wise investment for your money. I personally never even open them...the few times I did, they were just for things I never use so I toss it in the trash. I would look for some other type of marketing strategy.

If it's any help, I throw those mailers out. I have a short attention span and they all run together after looking at a couple of them.
Can you, as a group that is already planning an expenditure of $100 each, do your own mailing? The Post Office will help with learning how if someone doesn't know how to bulk mail to a zip code. It could be a simple postcard with a scenic photo of your area with your blurb on the back.
That way it is just your group that's getting the attention and people read postcards if for no other reason than they don't have to open an envelope..
Ditto.

I do open them here because they have great coupons for landscaping companies, restaurants, and a few other businesses that we already frequent.
But for me to advertise as a business in there would be a waste of money because we really don't get local people very often (1% of our business). This is true of our other B&Bs as well.
Do you think this will increase the number of people that you're already getting from those zip codes? Maybe spending $100 on Google AdWords would even be a better ROI. :)

We open them sometimes for the restaurant coupons. This will hit about 30,000 homes where if I mailed my own, $100 would not send out very many. Probably a wast of time and money, but I will let you know.

We open them sometimes for the restaurant coupons. This will hit about 30,000 homes where if I mailed my own, $100 would not send out very many. Probably a wast of time and money, but I will let you know..
You are targeting 170 miles away, that is not local. That is Get-away distance! Many people get to be Upscale because they watch the pennies as dollars watch themselves I have been told. They just may be the ones who WILL open and use. I could never project what that market would do because I have never experienced it to know how they think.
Since I am not upscale, I look at it as what is going to cost me but they being upscale, will perhaps look at what it saves them. That is why I do not coupon clip any more. I have to spend more buying the "name brands" to save that 50 cents than I will spend buying the house brand. Many people will just look at the coupon total as "I saved..."
Good luck with it.

We open them sometimes for the restaurant coupons. This will hit about 30,000 homes where if I mailed my own, $100 would not send out very many. Probably a wast of time and money, but I will let you know..
Keep us posted! Be sure to add it to your online booking referral list. :)

We don't get restaurant coupons in ours. Just carpet cleaning and stuff like that!

I open mine for the coupons.
It might be a good way to increase awareness of your existence.
Let us know what happens!
=)
Kk.

We open them because often our favorite Mexican restaurant has a coupon in them. I usually look to see if there is any local companies that have something that I can use.
Riki

Coupons? People use coupons? Say it isn't so.
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I got my very first coupon request last week. Guest got the local coupon page and wanted to be sure she got her mug. I totally forgot we were on the coupon page.

I believe these value books & mailings do serve a purpose for certain types of businesses and for certain markets. I know that for my market and my business they do not work. I tried one in the first 1-2 years of being open. We thought it would help 'spread the word' since we are not in a highly visible location. Only a waste of money.
Any type of print ad is only good if the reader is in the market for your service right then. Restaurants have better average of return on investment because if that person is a regular patron, they will keep it for their next use. People do not plan a trip to a B&B every week or two, but they do (usually) go out to eat at least that often.
One thing your group may want to consider is a magnet mailout. Does your group have a website? Have something enticing on the magnet with the groups website. You will have a good percentage keep the magnet on the fridge and it may get used multiple times. Have a code for a discount or a freebie with the stay, that way you can keep up with how well it worked and contiues to work.
We sent out magnets to 2 of our neighboring subdivisions back 6 years ago, I still get reservations with these magnets -friends, family coming to town, even a couple of getaways without getting away, and this lead to several good business contacts that help keep me booked during the weekdays. It is the only advertising we can say works well- other than internet.

The value is an ad, to see a business you may not even know exists. The coupon is secondary. The value is cutting it out and sticking it on your fridge ad seeing it there every day.

I believe these value books & mailings do serve a purpose for certain types of businesses and for certain markets. I know that for my market and my business they do not work. I tried one in the first 1-2 years of being open. We thought it would help 'spread the word' since we are not in a highly visible location. Only a waste of money.
Any type of print ad is only good if the reader is in the market for your service right then. Restaurants have better average of return on investment because if that person is a regular patron, they will keep it for their next use. People do not plan a trip to a B&B every week or two, but they do (usually) go out to eat at least that often.
One thing your group may want to consider is a magnet mailout. Does your group have a website? Have something enticing on the magnet with the groups website. You will have a good percentage keep the magnet on the fridge and it may get used multiple times. Have a code for a discount or a freebie with the stay, that way you can keep up with how well it worked and contiues to work.
We sent out magnets to 2 of our neighboring subdivisions back 6 years ago, I still get reservations with these magnets -friends, family coming to town, even a couple of getaways without getting away, and this lead to several good business contacts that help keep me booked during the weekdays. It is the only advertising we can say works well- other than internet..
That sounds good. We do have a group website. A problem for using the group site and a discount code is that 6 of the eight of us use Reservation Key so we can enter discount codes. The other two still use Webervations and when I quit using them about a year ago, I could not enter discount codes. Has that been added yet? One single code is the way to advertise for a group if we can all use it. Did you find a good magnet company?

We sent out magnets to 2 of our neighboring subdivisions back 6 years ago, I still get reservations with these magnets -friends, family coming to town, even a couple of getaways without getting away, and this lead to several good business contacts that help keep me booked during the weekdays. It is the only advertising we can say works well- other than internet..
That sounds good. We do have a group website. A problem for using the group site and a discount code is that 6 of the eight of us use Reservation Key so we can enter discount codes. The other two still use Webervations and when I quit using them about a year ago, I could not enter discount codes. Has that been added yet? One single code is the way to advertise for a group if we can all use it. Did you find a good magnet company?
First regarding the discount code, for the ones using Webervations they will need to either book by calling or to make note of the discount in the comments section of the reservation for it to be applied. This is what I do when I run a discount. I state to place any GC or special offer information in the comments section and it will be applied to their reservation. This has worked for me.
It has been awhile since we did the magnets and used a company in Texas I believe. When we checked with them last year their prices were higher than some others. We found the best price last year to be local, but had to put that order on hold due to some medical needs. There are many choices with magnets as well as sizes to discuss. Check with a local printer or business card company to start, find a style and size you want then search (even through the internet) for quotes to bring to your group for discussion.

Do you have a Sheltered Workshop near you? Check with them. I found their prices to be better than any others. The one near me does "soft" stuff - shirts, hats, lunch bags, etc and they gave me the info for the one that does "hard" stuff - they did my "blues" swatters (mini-fly swatters shaped like a house and blue in color to Swat the Blues at ________ House)

A carpet rug cleaning service will restore your floor coverings to their former vibrant state. Their carpet rug cleaning service will work to provide you with satisfactory outcomes, insuring you with a better version of your carpet rugs.

Back