Value Adding-How do you get guests to give you good TA ratings on value?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We give guests a $40 upgrade for free on top of saving for booking online and they still put less than I would like on that criteria. It is what it is. Don't give away the farm..
"We give guests a $40 upgrade for free on top of saving for booking online"
Even if Joe doesn't respond, can anyone explain this to me?
Am I reading this correctly that by simply booking online and not calling or emailing the B&B, the guest gets an automatic upgrade and additional discount?
Just trying to confirm how that pencils out in the big picture of things.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Am I reading this correctly that by simply booking online and not calling or emailing the B&B, the guest gets an automatic upgrade and additional discount?
The guest who books online gets an immediate $10 off. That's Joe's way of getting guests to book online. A bunch of us have tried that method to cut down on phone calls and to get the waffler to just book already.
The guest who got the $40 upgrade was something else altogether.

Well I will say this...it isn't about "things" or discount... necessarily. I truly believe that the innkeeper and their positive interaction with their guests makes for an outstanding TA rating. You can have the best linens, the most comfortable bed, the most delicious food...but if the innkeeper "sucks"....you will not get a good TA review. This is a person to person business and some people just don't get that.
YOu don't have to be at their beck & call 24/7, but showing small acts of kindness and helpfulness...goes such a long way...in my opinion.

We give guests a $40 upgrade for free on top of saving for booking online and they still put less than I would like on that criteria. It is what it is. Don't give away the farm..
The guest always gets a $10 discount just for booking online. Then, this guest also got a room upgrade valued at $40 more than the room that they booked. They still didn't give Joe the highest rating on value. Joe's rooms are all under $150 with plenty of amenities, great coffee and a skip lunch breakfast!!

It's still interesting that some have spoken about discounts, some have mentioned upgrades, some have an extensive list of 'includeds' but guests are still not giving highest marks for value. What is it that the guests want? It's probably something different for every part of the country and if we could just match up our inns with the right travelers, we'd all be getting high marks!
No one thus far has said that the guests say anything was missing, and the reviews don't seem to state they were disappointed because something was missing. Another mystery.

Well I will say this...it isn't about "things" or discount... necessarily. I truly believe that the innkeeper and their positive interaction with their guests makes for an outstanding TA rating. You can have the best linens, the most comfortable bed, the most delicious food...but if the innkeeper "sucks"....you will not get a good TA review. This is a person to person business and some people just don't get that.
YOu don't have to be at their beck & call 24/7, but showing small acts of kindness and helpfulness...goes such a long way...in my opinion..
catlady said:
YOu don't have to be at their beck & call 24/7, but showing small acts of kindness and helpfulness...goes such a long way...in my opinion.
Do you think the guests perceive the innkeeper interaction as the 'value' part of the review? I was wondering that myself.

YOu don't have to be at their beck & call 24/7, but showing small acts of kindness and helpfulness...goes such a long way...in my opinion..
catlady said:
Do you think the guests perceive the innkeeper interaction as the 'value' part of the review? I was wondering that myself.
I know some innkeepers who provide top notch stuff..but interaction isn't the best..and their value ratings are usually lower than some I know who go all out in making the guests feel at home. I could be wrong, but this is based on actuals that I know personally.

catlady said:
I know some innkeepers who provide top notch stuff..but interaction isn't the best..and their value ratings are usually lower than some I know who go all out in making the guests feel at home. I could be wrong, but this is based on actuals that I know personally.
catlady said:
It probably is the biggest variable. I'll have to check when next we get a review to see what kind of interaction we had with the guests.

It's still interesting that some have spoken about discounts, some have mentioned upgrades, some have an extensive list of 'includeds' but guests are still not giving highest marks for value. What is it that the guests want? It's probably something different for every part of the country and if we could just match up our inns with the right travelers, we'd all be getting high marks!
No one thus far has said that the guests say anything was missing, and the reviews don't seem to state they were disappointed because something was missing. Another mystery..
It is so true that finding the perfect guests is a key that can be hard for some innkeepers to find.

No one thus far has said that the guests say anything was missing, and the reviews don't seem to state they were disappointed because something was missing. Another mystery..
It is so true that finding the perfect guests is a key that can be hard for some innkeepers to find.
knkbnb said:
Ok, i'll bite. What the heck does that mean?
I always thought they found us and not the other way around.

The guest always gets a $10 discount just for booking online. Then, this guest also got a room upgrade valued at $40 more than the room that they booked. They still didn't give Joe the highest rating on value. Joe's rooms are all under $150 with plenty of amenities, great coffee and a skip lunch breakfast!!
I get it now. So that offer is on people's websites?
I wonder if the guests who call, book immediately or the ones who may ask a minute or two worth of questions and book live ever resent essentially subsidizing the folks that have no interaction with the innkeeper for the $10?
I've just never thought of it. What about the guest who books online with no upfront interaction or phone call, but then bombards you with a dozen follow up emails or phone calls loaded with questions? Do they get the $10 knocked off?

catlady said:
catlady said:
It probably is the biggest variable. I'll have to check when next we get a review to see what kind of interaction we had with the guests.
Bree said:
catlady said:
OK, I went and looked right away and we had a new review. Raves about the innkeepers, the bed, the recommendations we made and I remember chatting with this couple quite a bit. 4 for value. It could have been the price as they were students. Funny guests in a way because they actually took a picture of themselves IN the bed an added it to their review. Now I need to see if that room starts to get more bookings!

I wonder if the guests who call, book immediately or the ones who may ask a minute or two worth of questions and book live ever resent essentially subsidizing the folks that have no interaction with the innkeeper for the $10?
I've just never thought of it. What about the guest who books online with no upfront interaction or phone call, but then bombards you with a dozen follow up emails or phone calls loaded with questions? Do they get the $10 knocked off?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Oooooh, I know those particular guests are a big peeve. Just like the ones who call and say they can't book online, they don't know how, please help me do this, do this for me and give me the discount because I was going to try but decided I didn't want to put in the effort.
Sometimes ya just have to realize that there are people who game any system they meet. 'Book online & get $10 off?' I'll do that and then I'll call 15 times anyway. Those people have more issues than $10 will ever resolve.
I think the guests who want the innkeeper to do all the work even tho they know it's gonna cost them $10 to do so, REALLY don't want to book online. And then there's the place I wanted to book that charged a convenience fee to book online. That's how they were recouping some of the fees they were being charged by their booking company.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I usually do that in Mar & Apr to generate some bookings early on. It's a tough one to know if it works or not because they booked online and I didn't get to ask them if that swayed them. Maybe next year I'll ask on arrival if that was the decided. They DO have to say in the notes that they WANT the discount and everyone does. I put that deal at the top of the rooms page and the home page.
I don't tell guests on the phone that if they hang up and do it themselves they save $10.

knkbnb said:
No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things.
There is a book called, "Attracting Perfect Customers" that talks about this.
I'll be happy to share outside of the forum if you're interested.

knkbnb said:
No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things.
There is a book called, "Attracting Perfect Customers" that talks about this.
I'll be happy to share outside of the forum if you're interested.
I'll run a Google and find it, but am very interested in your thoughts on the subject whether here or in private.

We seem to be getting the value points, no idea why. We are here (like everyone) for our guests. We welcome them, have a book with maps, restaurants, etc. we sit and chat with them (if they want that) tell them how to get about, things of interest, etc.
Never really looked at all the options they get to check, but we are generally (generally) getting all 5's.
We serve a very full breakfast (take away dessert if it can't be eaten at breakfast), a bit of conversation (if they want), take a genuine interest in them and what their plans are (like everyone). So no idea why we are getting the value. We have a mix of both Mexican and outside of Mexico guests, and wonderful reviews.
We offer the basics, nothing over the top, no specials, and nothing like fresh flowers in the rooms etc.

Thanks for the reminder, I just looked and saw two new reviews on TA. The last one I will post here did not have all 5 bubbles like the others, but 4. Yet the review was very nice, very personal and I thought from the heart.
4 = Very Good, 5 = excellent
[COLOR= rgb(44, 44, 44)]Special Time
Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast[/h2][/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(44, 44, 44)]Jul 1, 2009 [/COLOR]
new.gif

I took my mom to the Clairborne house for her birthday and we had a very special time together. Upon arriving, we found a special birthday card for mom and complimentary chocolates. A beautiful strawberry cake was in the dining room. She felt honored. The room was clean and the family was helpful. During breakfast we were blessed with special live violin music honoring my mom's birthday :)
Thanks so much for the special memory.
Sincerely, D
  • Date of stay June 2009
  • Visit was for Leisure
  • Traveled with Other
  • Member since July 01, 2009
  • Would you recommend this hotel to a friend? Yes

That's why the only negative reviews we've had on TA are from people who've NEVER stayed here. Yet they still found something to complain about.

That's why the only negative reviews we've had on TA are from people who've NEVER stayed here. Yet they still found something to complain about.
This is off-topic advice and you can ignore it if you wish; I mean it to be helpful, not as a smarta**. If you edit your old comments rather than putting in a new comment, I don't see the changes you've made unless I realize that there is a new reply hidden somewhere in the list of responses and I scroll to find it. This might be a reason that you aren't getting a response to your posts. Don't shoot the messenger.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I also have the $10 book online discount on my website. They don't have to request it, I apply the discount if they book online. If I am busy gardening or juggling other tasks & get a call, I will ask folks if they'd like to book online on our secure website and get the discount. Very few will pass up that offer :) It's worth it to me. Most of my bookings are online. I haven't really had folks call after booking online with a phone calls with questions. They just show up pretty much when they said they would :) I do set up my rez system for additional follow-up confirmations if they are booked fairly far ahead of time.

Back