Value Adding-How do you get guests to give you good TA ratings on value?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still interesting that some have spoken about discounts, some have mentioned upgrades, some have an extensive list of 'includeds' but guests are still not giving highest marks for value. What is it that the guests want? It's probably something different for every part of the country and if we could just match up our inns with the right travelers, we'd all be getting high marks!
No one thus far has said that the guests say anything was missing, and the reviews don't seem to state they were disappointed because something was missing. Another mystery..
We had a guest stayed here twice, they gave us a glowing review, BUT rated us only 4 stars for everything and a 3 for value. Both times they checked in late and both times they left before breakfast because they were dealing with family stuff. They didn't have any opportunity to enjoy our place, interact with us or have breakfast, but we get the lowered marks because of their schedule. Why didn't they just go to a schmotel, if all they needed was a bed, and not bring down our marks? How can they judge the true value of our place, if they didn't stick around to enjoy any of it?
I think there is just nothing you can do about perceived value but keep your fingers crossed.

I really think that human nature is that most people want more than what they paid for and their "perceived value" is so varied that if you know what you are offering is more than just an ok value, then don't worry about it. It's a good thing TA doesn't use value as part of their formula for rankings.
Some people want a Ritz Carlton for the price of a Motel 6...now THAT would be a 5* value!
Our rooms have double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces, suites/cottage that are 550-800sq ft, a private deck for each room, breakfast & beverages delivered to their door, upscale amenities and much, much more than any place around us. We do get mostly 5* for value, but every now and then we get the 4*....Oh yeah, all this came at a room rate of $169-$190!!!
Don't fret over it.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
If I had a nickel for every call or email I responded to that said "We'd love to stay at your place, but we saw this review about all the spicy food and we can't eat it."
That's an excellent point to bring up. Sometimes even good reviews need a small response to rectify an error on the part of the writer. I'll have to pay closer attention to that.

It's still interesting that some have spoken about discounts, some have mentioned upgrades, some have an extensive list of 'includeds' but guests are still not giving highest marks for value. What is it that the guests want? It's probably something different for every part of the country and if we could just match up our inns with the right travelers, we'd all be getting high marks!
No one thus far has said that the guests say anything was missing, and the reviews don't seem to state they were disappointed because something was missing. Another mystery..
We had a guest stayed here twice, they gave us a glowing review, BUT rated us only 4 stars for everything and a 3 for value. Both times they checked in late and both times they left before breakfast because they were dealing with family stuff. They didn't have any opportunity to enjoy our place, interact with us or have breakfast, but we get the lowered marks because of their schedule. Why didn't they just go to a schmotel, if all they needed was a bed, and not bring down our marks? How can they judge the true value of our place, if they didn't stick around to enjoy any of it?
I think there is just nothing you can do about perceived value but keep your fingers crossed.
Willowpondgj said:
And why that type of guest feels compelled to offer reviews in the first place and then use a tougher than normal grading curve is another mystery.
I think there are a lot of frustrated, wannbe travel writers out there who really live off of seeing anything they can write "published" somehow, somehwere.
We had one a few years ago and while he gave a generally favorable review, one could tell from his profile that this was a very tough egg to crack. We laid off using the management response despite several inaccuracies he shared that I had to rebut with incoming inquiries for about six months until his review got buried behind others.
He and his wife were here one night, got the full tour of the property like everybody else and online he questioned the property size and even other reviewer's comments on its 4.5 acre size. This in spite of being told how big it is and never walking more than five feet anywhere from his car to his room.
Then he told the entire online TA world that if you don't like spicy food "you better not stay there, because everything they serve has hot green chiles in it. This in spite of neither of them choosing the one of three entrees offered that day that had any spiciness in it and the fact that we always offer at least one entree per morning that isn't even "southwestern" at all. And our entrees are prepared while the guest is at the table so anything could be left out.
If I had a nickel for every call or email I responded to that said "We'd love to stay at your place, but we saw this review about all the spicy food and we can't eat it."

It is so true that finding the perfect guests is a key that can be hard for some innkeepers to find.
knkbnb said:
It is so true that finding the perfect guests is a key that can be hard for some innkeepers to find.
Ok, i'll bite. What the heck does that mean?
I always thought they found us and not the other way around.
No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things.
There is a book called, "Attracting Perfect Customers" that talks about this.
I'll be happy to share outside of the forum if you're interested.
"No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things."
I hope you didn't misunderstand. "Ok, I'll bite" where I come from is like "Ok, I'll ask about this thing I'm unclear about.

knkbnb said:
Ok, i'll bite. What the heck does that mean?
I always thought they found us and not the other way around.
No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things.
There is a book called, "Attracting Perfect Customers" that talks about this.
I'll be happy to share outside of the forum if you're interested.
"No need to bite. I'm not looking to make a case, it is just our way of doing things."
I hope you didn't misunderstand. "Ok, I'll bite" where I come from is like "Ok, I'll ask about this thing I'm unclear about.
Not to worry. I was a bit shy given that there has been a more aggressive tone on the forum the last few weeks.

Willowpondgj said:
And why that type of guest feels compelled to offer reviews in the first place and then use a tougher than normal grading curve is another mystery.
I think there are a lot of frustrated, wannbe travel writers out there who really live off of seeing anything they can write "published" somehow, somehwere.
We had one a few years ago and while he gave a generally favorable review, one could tell from his profile that this was a very tough egg to crack. We laid off using the management response despite several inaccuracies he shared that I had to rebut with incoming inquiries for about six months until his review got buried behind others.
He and his wife were here one night, got the full tour of the property like everybody else and online he questioned the property size and even other reviewer's comments on its 4.5 acre size. This in spite of being told how big it is and never walking more than five feet anywhere from his car to his room.
Then he told the entire online TA world that if you don't like spicy food "you better not stay there, because everything they serve has hot green chiles in it. This in spite of neither of them choosing the one of three entrees offered that day that had any spiciness in it and the fact that we always offer at least one entree per morning that isn't even "southwestern" at all. And our entrees are prepared while the guest is at the table so anything could be left out.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We laid off using the management response despite several inaccuracies he shared that I had to rebut with incoming inquiries for about six months until his review got buried behind others.
Not giving a management response to that review was a huge mistake. A simple clarification on his inaccuracies would have eliminated any potential guests' doubts and garner more business. What was your reasoning for not responding?

Willowpondgj said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We laid off using the management response despite several inaccuracies he shared that I had to rebut with incoming inquiries for about six months until his review got buried behind others.
Not giving a management response to that review was a huge mistake. A simple clarification on his inaccuracies would have eliminated any potential guests' doubts and garner more business. What was your reasoning for not responding?
"Not giving a management response to that review was a huge mistake. A simple clarification on his inaccuracies would have eliminated any potential guests' doubts and garner more business. What was your reasoning for not responding?"
I started another thread on the topic, but in a nutshell, we felt like because he did give us four dots overall and we didn't want to appear ungrateful for that, we just let it lie.
Hindsight is 20/20 of course and had I known I'd be answering the "spicy food" question for like the next 6-8 months until it died down, I'd have done so.
The acreage issue wasn't that big of a deal. Anybody pulling in can see that with even the "front" yard, house footprint and parking area being about 200' x 500', this is no "average sized lot" as he described it.
But come to think about it now, one other issue he did criticize us on was a tough one on how to handle without making him look bad.
We have one room which is located near the kitchen and dining room. We don't even do our early morning prep in that kitchen in order to afford guests in that room as much quiet time as possible.
The walls here are 18" thick solid brick so things are pretty well insulated.
His wife was under the weather from what we could tell and she spent nearly the whole time in their room. He was hard of hearing and talked really loud all the time and when she was sleeping all afternoon of the one night stay, he hung out in the living room watching TV with the volume up pretty high. No other guests were around until late, so I didn't think to ask him to turn it down a little out of respect for his loss of hearing.
Additionally, the next morning he came out of the room really early and I happened to be sneaking into our sunroom where the coffeemakers are located. He starts jabbering my ear off at full tilt volume and I'm tiptoeing around to not wake anybody else. So, now another guest comes in the dining room to prepare himself a cup of tea and hopefully go out on the porch and enjoy the paper with his tea. This guy corners him and is yakking his ear off at full, hearing impaired volume and won't barely let him leave.
So this is what he put in the review:
"We got the Pajarito room, which the brochure and Web site imply is a quiet getaway. It is actually attached to the main kitchen and next to the TV/lounge area, so there was some related noise (though breakfast is prepared in another kitchen)."
Yeah, noise he created. I did have a few folks ask about noise who wanted that room who saidthey were light sleepers, but after explaining our approach and the other room choices, most still stuck with booking Pajarito.
We are hyper sensitive about noise disturbances for that room and 99.99% of our guests are like "Are you kidding, we not only slept like the dead, we couldn't hear a thing." or "We had no idea there were even other guests staying here"
He wasn't super critical about it and we kind of didn't see it as being a "stick out like a sore thumb" condemnation, so we left it alone.
We actually have one that is more critical and contains more falsehoods and exaggerations but its even older and just wanted all memories of those two people to go away. We were a lot more naive back then about the potential impact of negative reviews.

Something just popped into my head about this- who knows if if showed up in this thread already- but we have talked about it from time to time
- Do you negotiate rates and/or offer walk in or last minute discounts?
If so, do you think this could be part of the end perception - sort of "I probably could have gotten a better deal" or "I don't think I got their best rate" so for me it was a four- even thought we had an amazing stay

Something just popped into my head about this- who knows if if showed up in this thread already- but we have talked about it from time to time
If so, do you think this could be part of the end perception - sort of "I probably could have gotten a better deal" or "I don't think I got their best rate" so for me it was a four- even thought we had an amazing stay.
knkbnb said:
If so, do you think this could be part of the end perception - sort of "I probably could have gotten a better deal" or "I don't think I got their best rate" so for me it was a four- even thought we had an amazing stay
Who is thinking they could have gotten the better deal or the best rate? The walker-in who got a discount or the guest who paid full price and overheard the negotiations?
We have gotten one review in 5 years from a walker-in. All the other reviews were from guests who had booked in advance.

If so, do you think this could be part of the end perception - sort of "I probably could have gotten a better deal" or "I don't think I got their best rate" so for me it was a four- even thought we had an amazing stay.
knkbnb said:
Who is thinking they could have gotten the better deal or the best rate? The walker-in who got a discount or the guest who paid full price and overheard the negotiations?
We have gotten one review in 5 years from a walker-in. All the other reviews were from guests who had booked in advance.
Not sure- I guess I was thinking we often get calls looking for a local rate. Do you think negotiable prices might inadvertently hinder value perception? Our experience has been that discounted rooms are often the ones that will judge you the harshest.

knkbnb said:
Not sure- I guess I was thinking we often get calls looking for a local rate. Do you think negotiable prices might inadvertently hinder value perception? Our experience has been that discounted rooms are often the ones that will judge you the harshest.
knkbnb said:
We've only had 'local's rate' requested a couple of times. I don't know if they would ever refer family here or what. We explain we don't discount in the summer, but if it's winter we'll discount pretty much anyone who asks.
IF you want to give a discount to locals (and you decide how far away 'local' is) then you need to change their perception of 'getting away with something' to 'an island experience for islanders'. I'm pretty sure you have the gift of gab, so play it up, IF you want to give the discount.
I haven't paid too much attention to whether or not the discounted folks write worse/better/equal reviews. I do know that repeat guests RARELY write any reviews at all and they are getting the best discounts. Walk-ins never write reviews (ok, I got ONE review from a walk in) and I would bet most of them don't even remember the names of the places they stayed.
I have no subsequent contact with walk-ins, either. I do not collect an email address so they don't even get a 'thanks for staying' email. A couple of them have come back, tho. But if they are repeat walk-ins I still don't get their email address unless I tell them I do a monthly newsletter and will add them to the list if they want.

knkbnb said:
knkbnb said:
We've only had 'local's rate' requested a couple of times. I don't know if they would ever refer family here or what. We explain we don't discount in the summer, but if it's winter we'll discount pretty much anyone who asks.
IF you want to give a discount to locals (and you decide how far away 'local' is) then you need to change their perception of 'getting away with something' to 'an island experience for islanders'. I'm pretty sure you have the gift of gab, so play it up, IF you want to give the discount.
I haven't paid too much attention to whether or not the discounted folks write worse/better/equal reviews. I do know that repeat guests RARELY write any reviews at all and they are getting the best discounts. Walk-ins never write reviews (ok, I got ONE review from a walk in) and I would bet most of them don't even remember the names of the places they stayed.
I have no subsequent contact with walk-ins, either. I do not collect an email address so they don't even get a 'thanks for staying' email. A couple of them have come back, tho. But if they are repeat walk-ins I still don't get their email address unless I tell them I do a monthly newsletter and will add them to the list if they want.
ME- the gift of gab?
teeth_smile.gif

Where it concerns customer rating reviews......
OK....I may not being doing this lodging....we do get them often from numerous other businesses...
I for one, rarely give the top rating.......1 - 5......I give a 4.....1 - 10.....I give an 8 or 9......and that would be across the board for all catagories....provided that I was satisified with the service or what ever.
I personaly don't think that any entity or any person is 100% perfect....What is perfect anyway?.....Who am I to say what is?
If I am satisified......I will provide a high scoring, not a perfect score.
Pesonaly.....I am not one that provides a personal written account.
Now....there have been cases where I did provide the highest rating....Such as a question like "Did the representative doing everything possible to provide a resolution?".....Some times for "Where you able to get accomplished everything you wanted/needed?"......only if they actualy did and this was in fact true
When asked for an over all score......I am not inclined to provide the highest score.
that's just me
With some of the examples here.....if the written comments are glowing....I wouldn't be that much concerned that a 5 was given for the rating......I've read the TA reviews....found that the personal remarks are more telling

Where it concerns customer rating reviews......
OK....I may not being doing this lodging....we do get them often from numerous other businesses...
I for one, rarely give the top rating.......1 - 5......I give a 4.....1 - 10.....I give an 8 or 9......and that would be across the board for all catagories....provided that I was satisified with the service or what ever.
I personaly don't think that any entity or any person is 100% perfect....What is perfect anyway?.....Who am I to say what is?
If I am satisified......I will provide a high scoring, not a perfect score.
Pesonaly.....I am not one that provides a personal written account.
Now....there have been cases where I did provide the highest rating....Such as a question like "Did the representative doing everything possible to provide a resolution?".....Some times for "Where you able to get accomplished everything you wanted/needed?"......only if they actualy did and this was in fact true
When asked for an over all score......I am not inclined to provide the highest score.
that's just me
With some of the examples here.....if the written comments are glowing....I wouldn't be that much concerned that a 5 was given for the rating......I've read the TA reviews....found that the personal remarks are more telling.
With some of the examples here.....if the written comments are glowing....I wouldn't be that much concerned that a 5 was given for the rating......I've read the TA reviews....found that the personal remarks are more telling
The 'problem' with glowing written reviews and less than stellar stars is that TA doesn't read. It's all based on the stars. So, you had a wonderful time, everything was to your liking but you're a tough grader so you give 4 stars. If I get enough guests like you, I start to drop into 4th or 5th place on TA and my comp, who get guests who are lavish with the stars, are automatically bumped to 1st & 2nd place. Guess who gets called first? NOT 4th or 5th place. If guests are strictly using TA reviews, which they usually don't do, if the first 4 B&B's are full, THEN 5th place gets called. But, if they're in a rush and don't know anything about the area, they'll go for the easy out. 'Everyone liked these places, I'll call them.'
It's awful but true, the tougher your guests are as graders, it doesn't matter how good you are as a B&B, you just don't get to be in the top slots.

I was beginning to get that.......when the TA subject was discussed in the various threads.
It's not the rating at all that actualy matters........it's the placement. For when a prospective is looking for lodging in a given location.....makes sense
thanks

Back