Vegan breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtatoc

Reaction score
Got a vegan guest soon. Do any of you have suggestions for two breakfasts? I need a sweet and a savory. She'll be here two mornings. I've been thinking about a couple of choices, but wondered if I might be overlooking something tried and true.

Hi! Welcome! One idea might be a fruit plate? Maybe something like a tofu scramble? Maybe check out the "specialty frozen section" of your favorite grocery store? I think my gluten free expertise superceeds my vegan diet knowledge. :) Maybe some meat type products that are made from tofu?

smoothie using frozen fruit and soy, almond or coconut milk, fresh fruit, fried potatoes with veggie or hash browns (you can crumble tofu in for some protein). In the recipe section on this forum you'll find a really great vegan pumpkin bread that you can serve to all your guests and they'll never know it's vegan. Get some polenta in a roll in the market...you can slice some, crisp it up in a pan with some oil, place in a baking dish and cover with a meatless spagetti sauce and bake....even better if you have some vegan cheese, you can layer it and bake it in an individual baking dish.

If you stick with fruits, veggies, nuts and tofu you'll probably be ok. Just remember that 'vegan' is a choice and not driven by an illness. They won't be able to eat totally vegan at lunch and dinner unless you've got places like that near you.
Avoid anything that came from anything that once had a face. (And check to see if they're wearing leather shoes or their car has a leather interior. Just to make your blood boil that you're going to lengths they don't go to themselves.)
The other option is to email the guest and say you know nothing about vegan diets and what does she eat. I find it's better for me to push the problem back on the owner than to jump thru hoops in the dark.

If you stick with fruits, veggies, nuts and tofu you'll probably be ok. Just remember that 'vegan' is a choice and not driven by an illness. They won't be able to eat totally vegan at lunch and dinner unless you've got places like that near you.
Avoid anything that came from anything that once had a face. (And check to see if they're wearing leather shoes or their car has a leather interior. Just to make your blood boil that you're going to lengths they don't go to themselves.)
The other option is to email the guest and say you know nothing about vegan diets and what does she eat. I find it's better for me to push the problem back on the owner than to jump thru hoops in the dark..
This works best here too. When I get the request, I'll say this is what I can offer as an alternate to our hot entree (oatmeal/cereal in this case), if there are any special foods you'll need we have a fridge where you can keep them. Most people are happy to have the fresh fruit cut for them, or if they specify a type of yogurt I will get an individual container for them. But I'm not a restaurant or a specialty foods store, I don't want to spend tons of money on this specialty stuff and they eat only a little bit and then it goes to waste. This goes for all the gluten free people too, the majority of them that we get are diet choice, not true allergy. But even if it IS an allergy I can't bend over backwards.
ETA: We do strictly casseroles, nothing cooked to order except scrambled eggs occasionally, but if you normally cook to order then some of the other suggestions wouldn't be too difficult. I am afraid to try to make MYSELF a smoothie, let alone for someone else!

Cook up some potatoes and onions/andor bell pepper in olive oil. A nice side plate of fresh fruit. Keep it simple, is my methodology they don't expect you to make gourmet vegan, they know how hard it is to find all of these speciality foods. I think we assume they are trying to be more difficult than they are.
I think most of us try to replace the meat item in the breakfast, but they don't eat meat, so give them what they want, veg!

The other option is to email the guest and say you know nothing about vegan diets and what does she eat. I find it's better for me to push the problem back on the owner than to jump thru hoops in the dark..
Alibi Ike said:
The other option is to email the guest and say you know nothing about vegan diets and what does she eat. I find it's better for me to push the problem back on the owner than to jump thru hoops in the dark.
GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to use that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIki

Pancakes - use 2 tablespoons of water for each egg and use water instead of milk. maple syrup fits vegan.
The baked oatmeal is an excellent thought. Again, water or soy milk and water for the eggs. My baked oatmeal is done in a loaf pan with fruit on the bottom, baked and then inverted onto the serving dish. Or plain oatmeal with blueberries.

Back