VENT: No good deed goes unpunished

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
About a month ago we took a reservation for a very busy fall weekend, the woman took the last room we had available which had only a double bed. I remembered from my conversation with her that she asked if anything larger opened up to let her know, as her husband is very tall and he would be more comfortable in a larger bed.
Fast forward a few weeks, we get a cancellation in a Queen room for that same weekend, I remember my conversation with this woman and call her to see if she would like the larger room. I left her a voicemail with the rate of the larger room and asked her to call me back if she wanted to change.
She did call me back, was grateful that I remembered she wanted a larger room, and we made the switch. We also made a bunch of arrangements for tours, dinners, and an in-room fruit basket as a surprise for her husband.
During the actual dates of her stay my husband and I were away and our innsitter was here. I realized today when I was doing my sales tax report that the woman pulled out her email confirmation to show my innsitter and stated she shouldn't be charged the higher rate. My innsitter (rightfully) recalculated her bill at the lower rate and sent her on her way.
This is ALL my fault, I should have reconfirmed the changes in writing, but I really didn't think i needed to as at that point her stay was less then a week away. This lady absolutely knew what she was doing and I highly doubt she would have even tried it had we been here. It's nothing, less than $50 difference, but when I think of the consideration and extra time I gave her, it just REALLY makes me mad.
I know there's absolutely nothing to be gained here by confronting this person, lesson learned and I'll move on, but it just really chaps my hide that shot got away with it.
Harumph!

Thats what were here for....venting. Hope you feel better already.
teeth_smile.gif
Mary in Bridgewater

A lesson learned to make us all paranoid so we confirm and confirm again with any changes. When they slide through we are reminded to do that.
What a schmuck to take advantage.
As much as people see us as a lovely home and hospitality there are always those who see you as a business and nothing more.

hmmmm ... this sounds familiar.
i think this has happened to each of us at some time. an upgrade after the original reservation and talking to someone else other than you about the bill (spouse, innsitter, helper) so that it gets changed.
i like to give people the benefit of the doubt ... as in, holding the original lower priced rez confirmation in hand and saying 'you've charged me too much' because i could see forgetting that there had been any change. but something nags at me that it's often deliberate.

I'm over it...see, venting works! But seriously, I just feel from my conversations with this woman and her general "vibe" that she did this on purpose...I really believe that had I been here to check her out she would not even have blinked at the invoice. She saw a weakness, she took advantage. She was just starting a three week vacation from here, so I sincerely hope her karma from this incident followed her the entire time. Hope that $50 was worth it!

Hi everone! Well, my first season has slowed due to weather on the Oregon coast. All is well...... I learned many things this first time out. I also got my first poor review today! Most of the comments in the review were totally innaccurate. The person said I did not have a comfortable chair in my unit. I have a huge chair and ottoman in the unit that is extremely comfortable and cost me $1500.00! They also said My unit did not have a table for lap top use. I have a large square counter top right in the middle of the unit with a chair for someone to sit and do whatever: puzzles, eating, card playing, etc. They said my carpet was dirty. My carpet is an anti-microbial commercial grade tight woven loop carpet by Mohawk in green tones. If it was dirty, no one would even be able to see a speck of dirt on it. And it is not dirty! They said my bathroom was dirty. They said I was a new bed and breakfast with potential!...................I am pissed! I have a feeling I know who it is. I had a couple who called and wanted everything but the moon. Special diets, pressured me into accepting their 4 yr. old son,, required lunches made with foods that would meet her son's allergic problems, did not want to pay the TRT tax because her husband was at a conference and was a county employee. They stayed for one extra day and at the end of the last breakfast, they told me her husband was a health dept. inspector for bed and breakfasts! He asked me inappropriate questions at the previous breakfasts concerning the value of my property, cost of construction, etc. After they left, I went up to clean the room and it was the worst I have ever seen! They did not wash one dish. This unit has a full kitchen. Dried food was in every dish that had been sitting on the counters for three days. These people were from Laos and Cambodia (second generation). I initially gave them the benefit of the doubt by saying to myself: "Well they probably have not been taught how to clean a kitchen or use a dishwasher." Now I get this nasty review! I called the website that posted it and asked them to remove it. I asked for the name of the reviewer and they said they could not give it to me. Isn't there some way to find out who did this review legally? I think we should be able to confront our accusers, especially when they are disparaging our business practices. I also realize the "first" bad review is always a shock! They did mention I needed luggage racks. I consider that a good suggestion; and I just bought racks for both of my units this morning online! I am trying to lick my wounds as I speak! This hurt! It brings back memories of going "round and round" with the building inspector when I built this property in 2005. They eventually fired him for taking bribes! Take a deep breath. All is well........

Hi everone! Well, my first season has slowed due to weather on the Oregon coast. All is well...... I learned many things this first time out. I also got my first poor review today! Most of the comments in the review were totally innaccurate. The person said I did not have a comfortable chair in my unit. I have a huge chair and ottoman in the unit that is extremely comfortable and cost me $1500.00! They also said My unit did not have a table for lap top use. I have a large square counter top right in the middle of the unit with a chair for someone to sit and do whatever: puzzles, eating, card playing, etc. They said my carpet was dirty. My carpet is an anti-microbial commercial grade tight woven loop carpet by Mohawk in green tones. If it was dirty, no one would even be able to see a speck of dirt on it. And it is not dirty! They said my bathroom was dirty. They said I was a new bed and breakfast with potential!...................I am pissed! I have a feeling I know who it is. I had a couple who called and wanted everything but the moon. Special diets, pressured me into accepting their 4 yr. old son,, required lunches made with foods that would meet her son's allergic problems, did not want to pay the TRT tax because her husband was at a conference and was a county employee. They stayed for one extra day and at the end of the last breakfast, they told me her husband was a health dept. inspector for bed and breakfasts! He asked me inappropriate questions at the previous breakfasts concerning the value of my property, cost of construction, etc. After they left, I went up to clean the room and it was the worst I have ever seen! They did not wash one dish. This unit has a full kitchen. Dried food was in every dish that had been sitting on the counters for three days. These people were from Laos and Cambodia (second generation). I initially gave them the benefit of the doubt by saying to myself: "Well they probably have not been taught how to clean a kitchen or use a dishwasher." Now I get this nasty review! I called the website that posted it and asked them to remove it. I asked for the name of the reviewer and they said they could not give it to me. Isn't there some way to find out who did this review legally? I think we should be able to confront our accusers, especially when they are disparaging our business practices. I also realize the "first" bad review is always a shock! They did mention I needed luggage racks. I consider that a good suggestion; and I just bought racks for both of my units this morning online! I am trying to lick my wounds as I speak! This hurt! It brings back memories of going "round and round" with the building inspector when I built this property in 2005. They eventually fired him for taking bribes! Take a deep breath. All is well.........
hiddencove, this needs to be in a thread all its own so you can get advice from others ... i'm afraid it won't be seen in here. there are threads about what to do about negative reviews that you believe are unfair. i'm going to email you off forum and suggest you move the post.
and i wish you well!

I'm over it...see, venting works! But seriously, I just feel from my conversations with this woman and her general "vibe" that she did this on purpose...I really believe that had I been here to check her out she would not even have blinked at the invoice. She saw a weakness, she took advantage. She was just starting a three week vacation from here, so I sincerely hope her karma from this incident followed her the entire time. Hope that $50 was worth it!.
You cannot think of everything all of the time. It is disappointing when people twist things or take advantage. Chalk it up. I will certainly learn from your experience.
Bill

We had this happen with a guest who kept adding and subtracting room nights. We sent them the latest 'update' for 5 nights but forgot that they were switching rooms for the 1st night so they got a confirm for 5 nights. When they showed up the reg form had the 6 nights and he blew a gasket saying we were charging him too much. He was waving around the confirm which showed him checking in the following day (5 room nights). After trying to explain what happened with all the changes they made, hubs just said, 'If you don't want to pay for tonight, that's ok, we'll see you tomorrow when your confirmation says you're arriving.' End of problem.

Back