Vent, Vent, VENT!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
The November issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine features a story on getting a great holiday meal - without doing the work. The article features 5 bed and breakfasts, 4 of which are PAII members, where a guest can get a holiday meal without doing the cooking. The PAII members included in the article were: The Inn at Locke House Bed and Breakfast, Lockeford, California; Blisswood Bed-Breakfast & Spa, Cat Spring, Texas; Summer Nites, North Wildwood, New Jersey; and Case de San Pedro, Hereford, Arizona. PAII assisted the article's author with finding innkeepers who offer holiday meals. To read more, purchase the November 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine, available on news stands now.
I wonder what makes them so much better! Is it because 4 out of 5 at PAII members? This is the article I was strung along on for so long. May thru August! Maybe the Library will have it so I can find out. I certainly will not spend a cent for it!!

No idea. When I was contacted it was a bolt from the blue. And, same thing, it dragged out for a month or so with no contact from them.

bummer! that is so disappointing! are they big places compared to yours?
just a thought ... can you say on your site, 'we were considered for the upcoming rachel ray series blahblah!! what an honor! ... we offer yummy this and that at gillum house'

I am not even going to refer to it at all. I think it is best to ignore it. Just needed to vent after seeing that PAII Newletter. Salt in the wounds and all that, old boy! Tut Tut.
Had a lot of lookers but so far, no takers. I took a 2 night for a couple sisters last night that I feel good about. I gave them te 2 rooms that share a bath for the price of a private bath per night and told them they could add a third night for $75 forthe 2 rooms. Decided the heck with the 18th century this year. Now watch, I will get 10 calls about it!

Okay bad bad day to go to superwalmart, first of the month is nearing and the store was stocked beautifully and the customers were loading their carts haphazardly with crappy foods with kids screaming and people who normally are not seen in the daylight. Yes, Halloween came early at "the wal mart!"
I stood in line forever with a couple items I needed and saw the mag there.
I flipped through it and they were basically highlighing romantic getaways where you have the whole holiday "done for you." They seemed to pick different geographical regions, desert, mountains, etc

I understand the frustration when working with authors over many weeks to help them with a story. We helped an author at Inc. magazine with a story in this month's issue about an inn for sale in Texas. We gave them a lot of information and resources - and there was no mention of PAII.
The November issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine has an article about urban B&Bs. We spent MANY hours working with the author, and there was barely a mention of PAII and no real attribution for the help we provided in the piece.
Same with Everyday with Rachel Ray. They contacted us looking for inns to profile. We put the notice out to the PAII membership and gave the author's direct contact information - for those who wanted to take a chance at being included. I even asked the author to give us a little plug.
We metioned in our membership newsletter that 4 out of 5 of the showcased inns are PAII members as a source of pride. The author likely wasn't even paying attention to who was a member of what association.
I was in fact surprised they only highlighted 5 inns. The original request for help said she would be profiling 12 inns. Had they profiled 12 inns, you could indeed have been in the issue. Those darn editors like to put good content on the chopping block to make room for more ads (such as needing to omit any reference to PAII)!
Best regards,
Jay

I understand the frustration when working with authors over many weeks to help them with a story. We helped an author at Inc. magazine with a story in this month's issue about an inn for sale in Texas. We gave them a lot of information and resources - and there was no mention of PAII.
The November issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine has an article about urban B&Bs. We spent MANY hours working with the author, and there was barely a mention of PAII and no real attribution for the help we provided in the piece.
Same with Everyday with Rachel Ray. They contacted us looking for inns to profile. We put the notice out to the PAII membership and gave the author's direct contact information - for those who wanted to take a chance at being included. I even asked the author to give us a little plug.
We metioned in our membership newsletter that 4 out of 5 of the showcased inns are PAII members as a source of pride. The author likely wasn't even paying attention to who was a member of what association.
I was in fact surprised they only highlighted 5 inns. The original request for help said she would be profiling 12 inns. Had they profiled 12 inns, you could indeed have been in the issue. Those darn editors like to put good content on the chopping block to make room for more ads (such as needing to omit any reference to PAII)!
Best regards,
Jay.
I would get an e-mail Thursday afternoon - need this or that by Friday. I ran around and delivered until August when they asked for photos of covered bridges and I could not find the originals. The scans were in the computer suicide of 2007. Suddenly I was chopped liver.
I had made the soup and done photos at a time that I did not have time but I thought it was worth the gamble. Had I been told then that zi did not make the cut I would have been disappointed, but OK that was the gamble. I was told you are in!! I got down the tub of 18th century clothes and took photos - last minute of course - and submitted them. Time after time I broke my neck to give what was asked for with the must have by....
Are any of the chosen ones small inns? Just curious. It was the string along that upset me the most. This is not the first time it has happened to me. Small does not make it. I should know by now that unless you have 6 or more rooms in a quaint or touirist center location or a mansion you are not worth the ink. They want our money for ads but ain't no way, no how you will get a feature or even a mention in a sentence!

Okay bad bad day to go to superwalmart, first of the month is nearing and the store was stocked beautifully and the customers were loading their carts haphazardly with crappy foods with kids screaming and people who normally are not seen in the daylight. Yes, Halloween came early at "the wal mart!"
I stood in line forever with a couple items I needed and saw the mag there.
I flipped through it and they were basically highlighing romantic getaways where you have the whole holiday "done for you." They seemed to pick different geographical regions, desert, mountains, etc.
Thanks for looking. I guess my mistake was saying they could if they chose to, help make the homemade noodles and rolls for the supper. It was a choice.
I guess doing an 18th century frontier Thanksgiving dinner is not unique. Of course, they would have had to admit that something in West Virginia was not a shack, barefoot, gap-toothed, and ignorant. Too old to be preggers. THANK GOODNESS!!!

Best regards,
Jay.
I would get an e-mail Thursday afternoon - need this or that by Friday. I ran around and delivered until August when they asked for photos of covered bridges and I could not find the originals. The scans were in the computer suicide of 2007. Suddenly I was chopped liver.
I had made the soup and done photos at a time that I did not have time but I thought it was worth the gamble. Had I been told then that zi did not make the cut I would have been disappointed, but OK that was the gamble. I was told you are in!! I got down the tub of 18th century clothes and took photos - last minute of course - and submitted them. Time after time I broke my neck to give what was asked for with the must have by....
Are any of the chosen ones small inns? Just curious. It was the string along that upset me the most. This is not the first time it has happened to me. Small does not make it. I should know by now that unless you have 6 or more rooms in a quaint or touirist center location or a mansion you are not worth the ink. They want our money for ads but ain't no way, no how you will get a feature or even a mention in a sentence!
I can certainly see why you're frustrated with all that work you did. Shame on them for telling you that you were in and not including you.
If it's any consolation, according to our database the Inn at Locke House has 5 rooms, and Summer Nites has 5 rooms.
And I've never heard of some of those townswhere the inns are located. Doesn't mean they're not tourist destinations though!
You're obviously an innkeeper who goes above and beyond, and hopefully (despite this instance) it has paid you back in spades over the years.
Best regards,
Jay

i think you should get in touch and ask if you are going to be featured at another time? if you were told you were in, etc. ask what happened.
why not? you deserve an explanation.

Best regards,
Jay.
gillumhouse said:
You may want to insure they did not use your photos, given how many you sent. I sent 2, one outside, 1 inside. They chose the outside pic because it was the winter issue and I sent a winter pic. I know they contacted 3-4 other places because they all asked how come they picked me. I only spoke with the interns.
It's a pain you put so much into it, getting everything in place only to have them not include you. I'd want to know, too, what the criteria were.

i think you should get in touch and ask if you are going to be featured at another time? if you were told you were in, etc. ask what happened.
why not? you deserve an explanation..
Poured gasoline on that bridge when I was told tough toenails. It was the editors.......

why not? you deserve an explanation..
Poured gasoline on that bridge when I was told tough toenails. It was the editors.......
OK, given you've burned that bridge, it wouldn't hurt at all to email them something for Valentine's Day, now would it? I know they have a Dec-Jan issue so it's too late for that one. Be a burr, at this point, it couldn't hurt...

I would love to see your photos of your 18th century meals...maybe you could put a few pictures on your blog? That would be neat!

Back