Venting & then changing policies!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You charge the final amount no less than two weeks before they arrive. How is this even a discussion? You get the final amount long before they arrive. Then, they can leave when they want and you don't have to worry about it, except for fighting the charge-back. But if you've documented your cancellation policies well, you will win your cb appeal. C'mon, guys, stop being "nice" and DO BUSINESS in a manner that protects yourself..
tar4heel2 said:
You charge the final amount no less than two weeks before they arrive. How is this even a discussion? You get the final amount long before they arrive. Then, they can leave when they want and you don't have to worry about it, except for fighting the charge-back. But if you've documented your cancellation policies well, you will win your cb appeal. C'mon, guys, stop being "nice" and DO BUSINESS in a manner that protects yourself.
I'll be honest with you... I wouldn't be staying at your B&B. People stay with me because they want to stay with me. I treat them well and they trust me. Any place that insists on being paid in full ahead of time, sounds scary to me, like there is something wrong. I understand a deposit. I consider my reservation my bond. I understand being charged for cancellation. I understand the reason for all the policies. But if you told me in your policies that you were charging me in full a week before my arrival... I would never make the reservation. (Just being honest.)
Days Inn doesn't charge ahead of time. They keep a credit card on hand. If you don't arrive by 6PM they cancel your reservation. Unless you guarantee your reservation (which I usually do) and even then, they don't charge until I actually arrive and present my card.

You charge the final amount no less than two weeks before they arrive. How is this even a discussion? You get the final amount long before they arrive. Then, they can leave when they want and you don't have to worry about it, except for fighting the charge-back. But if you've documented your cancellation policies well, you will win your cb appeal. C'mon, guys, stop being "nice" and DO BUSINESS in a manner that protects yourself..
Again I'm going to say you are probably in a high occupancy area. NO ONE where I live even charges a deposit except me. Do you really think guests are going to flock to stay with me if my policy is: 100% upfront payment, no refunds, take a flying leap?
It works for you. It may work for some. It doesn't work for everyone. As the geeks like to say your mileage may vary. A lot of us are competing for guests with hotels with same day cancellation and no charge at all policies. We have to play the game the way it works where we do business.
It doesn't help to yell at everyone that they're doing it wrong. I'm glad to hear that you've hit on the policies that work for you. We've all had the day where a guest got the better of us. It's good to hear other ways of doing things. We can all take a look to see where we can improve by having lots of different ways of doing things presented here.
Madeleine said:
Again I'm going to say you are probably in a high occupancy area. NO ONE where I live even charges a deposit except me. Do you really think guests are going to flock to stay with me if my policy is: 100% upfront payment, no refunds, take a flying leap?
It works for you. It may work for some. It doesn't work for everyone. As the geeks like to say your mileage may vary. A lot of us are competing for guests with hotels with same day cancellation and no charge at all policies. We have to play the game the way it works where we do business.
It doesn't help to yell at everyone that they're doing it wrong. I'm glad to hear that you've hit on the policies that work for you. We've all had the day where a guest got the better of us. It's good to hear other ways of doing things. We can all take a look to see where we can improve by having lots of different ways of doing things presented here.
I don't pretend to know your market and competitive situation, but (and I say this with all due respect), I respectfully submit that you are in denial. NONE of your competitors take a deposit or first night's charge at all? Even the flags (if you have any)? Wow.... That's really something... If that's really the case then I stand corrected, but that's a hard one to fathom. Even Days Inn takes first night. I have never seen a hotel that doesn't take first night! What's the point of taking a cc then?
hmmmm...Tarheel, when was the last time you stayed in a hotel? I have been traveling a lot lately and not a single place has taken a deposit...hotel or B&B/inn. Yes, my cc is on file with the lodging property. In fact, we recently stayed at a historic hotel and they "authorized" my card at check-in, but didn't run the card for the stay until check-out.
I think there's a difference in chastising other B&B/inn owners in their business practices vs. offering another point of view.
regular_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
I don't pretend to know your market and competitive situation, but (and I say this with all due respect), I respectfully submit that you are in denial. NONE of your competitors take a deposit or first night's charge at all? Even the flags (if you have any)? Wow.... That's really something... If that's really the case then I stand corrected, but that's a hard one to fathom. Even Days Inn takes first night. I have never seen a hotel that doesn't take first night! What's the point of taking a cc then?
tar4heel2 said:
Madeleine said:
!st - hotels such as Day's Inn do not charge a deposit, they take your CC # to secure your reservation but do not charge until check in/or no show. There may be a few that do take deposits, but that is rare and may be due to location which brings me to B&B's -.
Glad this works for you 30 days, pay 100% up front. It would not work here! I would be closed! I am even considering reducing our cancel period from 14 down to 7 days. I believe it will INCREACE my business.

i took a night's stay deposit at booking ... always ... then i took balance at check in. this worked for me.
the week long stay and wedding weekends i had much more at stake, much more to lose, and put on my very big business hat and requested a larger deposit and balance of payment in full before the big event.
i am going through past hotel stays in my mind and it seems to me they took credit card info but did not run the charge until i checked in. then they ran the charge for the full stay before handing me my keycard. this was courtyard by marriot and extended stay america.
unless i used priceline or one of those services, then it was pay in full at booking.

I've had hotels charge the full stay to the card at the time the online reservation was made, but only for their lowest, non-refundable rate.
Same with airlines. If you take their lowest offer and it's non-refundable, they generally charge it the day you make the reservation.

yes ... airlines. charged and non refundable, no changes allowed (big money) so i buy trip insurance.

yes ... airlines. charged and non refundable, no changes allowed (big money) so i buy trip insurance..
So SS did you ever report back on your trip to Ireland or was it Scotland?? I don't recall seeing anything. I hope it was wonderful!

C'mon, guys, stop being "nice" and DO BUSINESS in a manner that protects yourself.

It is being nice and treating my guests like people rather than commodities that has brought me many return guests. The fact that I will serve a full hot breakfast any time they request between 4 AM and 10 AM, that I give them routings, make reservations, help them with information, and cater to THEM is my way of doing business and brings me much joy. The fact that my City and the charity organizations know they can count on me with a free room (yes, I said FREE) has given back to me many times over. The B & Bs For Vets free rooms gives me much more in warm & fuzzies than any $$$ could. Since Nov 11 is a Sunday, my Vets are getting 3 nights this year.
To live only in the world of the "bottom line" would be a very cold and sad place to be for me.
However - to each his own. (I do not take deposits, I do not collect until checkout, and although she offered to pay, I did not charge the lady who left a day early because she was afraid of the weather going across the mountains to the East Coast. And I LIKE it that way.)
Bravo. I think you speak for most of us.

Madeleine said:
tar4heel2 said:
Madeleine said:
I have never taken a deposit and have fared very well. But most Inns and Hotels around here do. I am too lazy to deal with the paperwork and I don't think of my guests in dollar signs. I want them to come in, take a load of and not think about anything else but relaxing.
In 18 years of being here, I have had only 1 guest skip out on me. I have never had a bounced personal check and all the credit cards were good. Doing business the "good old way" is still working here and that makes me incredibly happy.
However, we are super busy in summer and my place is at 93-98% for July, August and September. If someone cancels without giving me enough time to rebook the cottage, I am going to charge them the full amount for the rental. If I can find takers for the days I pay back every penny. I believe in karma ;)

If you are an established business, with positive reviews on numerous websites, people do not question payment in full. To confirm the date, we charge payment in full for ONE to THREE nights and 50% down payment for FOUR nights or more. They pay this via Paypal, directly from pay buttons on our website or I invoice them through Paypal.
The problem I have is how do you RE-charge the credit card (supplied and copied upon check in) if damages were made, like smoking in the room which incurred a $175.00 fee? The guest also signed (and was given a copy) of the renter's rules stating the "no smoking policy" and fees attached if this rule was broken.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good credit card processing company (not Square or Intuit because I do not have a Smartphone). Paypal will not work on this problem. I would like a company with low processing and monthly fees.

If you are an established business, with positive reviews on numerous websites, people do not question payment in full. To confirm the date, we charge payment in full for ONE to THREE nights and 50% down payment for FOUR nights or more. They pay this via Paypal, directly from pay buttons on our website or I invoice them through Paypal.
The problem I have is how do you RE-charge the credit card (supplied and copied upon check in) if damages were made, like smoking in the room which incurred a $175.00 fee? The guest also signed (and was given a copy) of the renter's rules stating the "no smoking policy" and fees attached if this rule was broken.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good credit card processing company (not Square or Intuit because I do not have a Smartphone). Paypal will not work on this problem. I would like a company with low processing and monthly fees..
You've already received some good responses to the original post you created. But, I see that you've posted this same question/issue in several other non-related posts. It's best to just stick with one thread so all the responses are in one place. You'll see that other forum members will reply and a very good discussion will result. In placing your question all over the forum in other thread topics, it's not as effective.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good credit card processing company (not Square or Intuit because I do not have a Smartphone). Paypal will not work on this problem. I would like a company with low processing and monthly fees..
You've already received some good responses to the original post you created. But, I see that you've posted this same question/issue in several other non-related posts. It's best to just stick with one thread so all the responses are in one place. You'll see that other forum members will reply and a very good discussion will result. In placing your question all over the forum in other thread topics, it's not as effective.
Hi K9, Thanks & I agree, but I have yet to figure out how to delete a comment on this site. Ta' B

Hi K9, Thanks & I agree, but I have yet to figure out how to delete a comment on this site. Ta' B
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
Can't delete posts. As long as nobody has yet replied to your comment, you can edit the comment to remove/change text. Once somebody has replied, it's locked.

Back