Verrrry Interesting!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
A friend of mine from (now) Louisiana sent me this link. We keep hearing all the negative how West Virginia is the worst in anything good and right up there if it is bad. Funny thing - this link is for the Happiest & Unhappiest States (10 each) and then it goes into the 20 Healthiest. Guess what? WV is in BOTH Happiest and Healthiest!!
http://www.walletpop.com/mortgages/happiest-and-unhappiest-states

That makes for great advertizing! My father gold-leafed the state capitol of WV in the 1970's and brought us there for our spring vacation. I will never forget how beautiful the state was and how friendly the people were.
regular_smile.gif
My first (and only) time trying grits.
confused_smile.gif

That makes for great advertizing! My father gold-leafed the state capitol of WV in the 1970's and brought us there for our spring vacation. I will never forget how beautiful the state was and how friendly the people were.
regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
They redid the gold a couple years ago and restored it to the original - there were panels between the gold section that had a gold design in the middle. It is no longer just a gold dome. I have a "thing" for State Capitols and President's homes. I have seen many of them and I can honestly say (IMO) ours is one of the most beautiful. I was in Cheyenne at night and theirs also looked beautiful. Sorry NC, yours was the most disappointung - I saw it in either 1969 or 1970 and it was just an oblong "modern" building. No granduer to it.
Although grits are not on "every" menu you will find it on some. Come on back. We are better than ever!

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
They redid the gold a couple years ago and restored it to the original - there were panels between the gold section that had a gold design in the middle. It is no longer just a gold dome. I have a "thing" for State Capitols and President's homes. I have seen many of them and I can honestly say (IMO) ours is one of the most beautiful. I was in Cheyenne at night and theirs also looked beautiful. Sorry NC, yours was the most disappointung - I saw it in either 1969 or 1970 and it was just an oblong "modern" building. No granduer to it.
Although grits are not on "every" menu you will find it on some. Come on back. We are better than ever!
My parents 'do' state capitols. They like to wander around inside the buildings to see what's on display. So far, for me, the best inside display in a state capitol is in NM. Three floors of NM artists' works displayed. Not only is it the capitol, it's probably the best art museum in the state.

You know the funny thing K, I never hear anything about WV and we are right next door. Other than from guests we ocassionally get from across the border. You prob hear the bad media more than the rest of the county and of course notice it.
I would go back to the Gorge in a heart beat!

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
My Dad ( and brothers) gold-leafed 7 state capitols: West Virginia, Boston, Montpelier VT, Concord NH, Denver CO, Atlanta, GA and Hartford CT. They were done a long time ago so many of them may have been redone, but some might still have his handiwork on them.
My son is in school at UVA so one of these times we may take a detour and visit you. I would probably love grits now.
confused_smile.gif
Do they ever make them with chocolate? (Hee Hee)

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
My Dad ( and brothers) gold-leafed 7 state capitols: West Virginia, Boston, Montpelier VT, Concord NH, Denver CO, Atlanta, GA and Hartford CT. They were done a long time ago so many of them may have been redone, but some might still have his handiwork on them.
My son is in school at UVA so one of these times we may take a detour and visit you. I would probably love grits now.
confused_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
UVA? You have a few of us B&B's enroute to UVA...

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Don't you DARE come visit your son without coming and staying with us. We are 8 miles from UVA, 2.5 miles from Monticello, 6.5 miles from the downtown pedestrian mall. Come anytime (if you want to come and stay graduation we will give you a discount, but cannot afford to comp you that day. But considering the sometimes awful people that come for graduation, we'd be more than happy to give you a discount!!!)
And talking about chocolate? We have a nationally known hand dipped chocolatier here in town.
And I'm from San Francisco, so I don't do grits. Actually, I don't see them served much here.
Riki

Riki, those were the best chocolates I have ever had. I am not exaggerating. If those were the ones of which you speak. I have never seen chocolates so amazing as those. And btw I did not share. I think I savored one per week til they were gone. Even the packaging is incredible!

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Don't you DARE come visit your son without coming and staying with us. We are 8 miles from UVA, 2.5 miles from Monticello, 6.5 miles from the downtown pedestrian mall. Come anytime (if you want to come and stay graduation we will give you a discount, but cannot afford to comp you that day. But considering the sometimes awful people that come for graduation, we'd be more than happy to give you a discount!!!)
And talking about chocolate? We have a nationally known hand dipped chocolatier here in town.
And I'm from San Francisco, so I don't do grits. Actually, I don't see them served much here.
Riki
egoodell said:
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Riki
Wow, I had no idea! I love Charlottesville and that whole area. And I definitely must learn about this chocolatier. My son will never have to worry about what to get me for my birthday or Mother's Day again. We are driving down next week to pick him up but we may be visiting friends in PA on our way down, spending the night with them, picking up our son up the next day at noon and heading back. Nothing is cast in concrete yet though. I'll be in touch.
regular_smile.gif
Thanks.

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Riki
egoodell said:
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Riki
Wow, I had no idea! I love Charlottesville and that whole area. And I definitely must learn about this chocolatier. My son will never have to worry about what to get me for my birthday or Mother's Day again. We are driving down next week to pick him up but we may be visiting friends in PA on our way down, spending the night with them, picking up our son up the next day at noon and heading back. Nothing is cast in concrete yet though. I'll be in touch.
regular_smile.gif
Thanks.
[/quote]
regular_smile.gif
Thanks.
[/quote]
http://www.gearhartschocolates.com/

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
You won't get grits here, but you are welcome anytime I have a room available. I am easy to find.
Best get back to my room. My City mamager loaned me her vidseo machine and Hurcule Poirit movies and I have been here in the lobby chatting with the desk clerk and checking in here instead of getting the hot shower and Poirot I promised my self - 3 hours ago!

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Riki
egoodell said:
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
Riki
regular_smile.gif
Thanks.
regular_smile.gif
Thanks.
[/quote]
http://www.gearhartschocolates.com/

[/QUOTE]
Thanks!
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
You won't get grits here, but you are welcome anytime I have a room available. I am easy to find.
Best get back to my room. My City mamager loaned me her vidseo machine and Hurcule Poirit movies and I have been here in the lobby chatting with the desk clerk and checking in here instead of getting the hot shower and Poirot I promised my self - 3 hours ago!
gillumhouse said:
Thanks! I feel so loved right now! This is a great group of inn-mates!
regular_smile.gif

we're 1 1/2 hrs s of Charlottesville - gotta stop by here, too!!.
greyswan said:
we're 1 1/2 hrs s of Charlottesville - gotta stop by here, too!!
Just let us know when you're coming so we'll be sure we keep a room open! During the week if you can is best. Less crowds at Monticello and the wineries.
RIki

Back