Very Interesting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I have a very active FB page for the b&b. Lots of interaction with folks liking posts and comments.
Sooo, yesterday I posted a FB room discount special. It is very rare for me to do a discount, so it's not like they've seen these offers before. I figured it would be a long shot if people actually booked, but not 1 person 'liked' or made a comment! What does this mean? Aren't loyal guests interested in a discount? Even if they couldn't get the time to come stay I would have thought that I'd get some comments saying they wished they could take advantage of the offer. NOTHING
I'm actually kind of relieved that they don't seem interested in this. Heck, pay full price! I don't get it though, do yo

Could have been the timing of the post. How many people saw the post compared to the others that get lots of likes/comments?
I found the weekend to be the worst times to post. There are lots of articles out there on the subject.

How many people have seen the post?
Was there a photo included with the post to help attract attention to it and engage readers?
Was the discount offer only for a specific time period, or was it more open-ended?
All the advice and "research" I've read about Facebook suggests that users really just do not like purely commercial posts, and indeed this has been my experience as well.

I saw your special. That doesn't help you at all, I know! Put a photo in next time and add 'be sure to share this with your friends!' in the hopes it gets spread out a little.
You know that little graph FB provides that shows how many people see your posts? I have gone from 5000+/week down to less than 500/week. I have rabid fans who like or comment on almost everything I post. But the posts are jammed by FB. I don't pay so, at best on a good day, 88 people will see a post. That's about 25%.
I mostly post a photo from here everyday (other than weekends when everyone is out doing, not playing on FB), share the things to do in the area and very occasionally post a special or rooms vacant.
This curtailing of who sees my posts will, more than anything, force me to post on my blog instead.

I saw your special. That doesn't help you at all, I know! Put a photo in next time and add 'be sure to share this with your friends!' in the hopes it gets spread out a little.
You know that little graph FB provides that shows how many people see your posts? I have gone from 5000+/week down to less than 500/week. I have rabid fans who like or comment on almost everything I post. But the posts are jammed by FB. I don't pay so, at best on a good day, 88 people will see a post. That's about 25%.
I mostly post a photo from here everyday (other than weekends when everyone is out doing, not playing on FB), share the things to do in the area and very occasionally post a special or rooms vacant.
This curtailing of who sees my posts will, more than anything, force me to post on my blog instead..
Here's my own theory about how many people see your post. It holds true for my posts, but I don't know if it's proven right. I do a post and the more people who 'like' or comment, the more people see it. I think that there must be some matrix FB uses where it figures that if it's an interesting post, it shares it with more fans who then respond more to it. I rarely get any 'shares'
Here's an example...a post got 42 people liking it and 404 people saw the post. Same day, different post, 5 people liked it and only 188 people saw it.
I tend to average about 200-300 people seeing the post with 15-30 people liking it.
I once had a major food corporation post a picture of one of my food items and had a link to our FB page. It got 334 likes, and 51 shares! We gained about 10 new fans and thousands of people saw it.

I've been trying to keep up our Facebook page kind of like a blog. We get a few likes here and there, but I've never received a reservation or a referral.
I created a group called "Friends of XYZ Bed and Breakfast" I look for guests (not the PITAs) that may be on Facebook, friend them then add them to the group. That's where I post specials. Nothing from that either.

This curtailing of who sees my posts will, more than anything, force me to post on my blog instead..
Here's my own theory about how many people see your post. It holds true for my posts, but I don't know if it's proven right. I do a post and the more people who 'like' or comment, the more people see it. I think that there must be some matrix FB uses where it figures that if it's an interesting post, it shares it with more fans who then respond more to it. I rarely get any 'shares'
Here's an example...a post got 42 people liking it and 404 people saw the post. Same day, different post, 5 people liked it and only 188 people saw it.
I tend to average about 200-300 people seeing the post with 15-30 people liking it.
I once had a major food corporation post a picture of one of my food items and had a link to our FB page. It got 334 likes, and 51 shares! We gained about 10 new fans and thousands of people saw it.
That is a LOT more traffic than I get. Good for you!

Could have been the timing of the post. How many people saw the post compared to the others that get lots of likes/comments?
I found the weekend to be the worst times to post. There are lots of articles out there on the subject..
I put a big green dollar sign on the post. No likes and only 116 people saw it so far.

It's all a mystery! The simplest things get some of the biggest reactions sometimes. That no stress sign I posted got 73 likes and 2 shares. Go figure.

If i see a discount on a page i don't necessarily hit the like button. Does not mean i DON'T like it, i just don't always hit like. And booking a stay at a b&b is not like buying coffee or T shirt on the internet (low $ anytime delivery) - it's higher $ and takes some planning. So don't worry about no immediate response.. I am sure it will come!

I've been trying to keep up our Facebook page kind of like a blog. We get a few likes here and there, but I've never received a reservation or a referral.
I created a group called "Friends of XYZ Bed and Breakfast" I look for guests (not the PITAs) that may be on Facebook, friend them then add them to the group. That's where I post specials. Nothing from that either..
PT, how many people have 'liked' your page?

It's all a mystery! The simplest things get some of the biggest reactions sometimes. That no stress sign I posted got 73 likes and 2 shares. Go figure.
You know sometimes the odd things get a lot of views- a bowl of strawberries? Really? Photos of US. Who the heck wants to see US? Yeesh.
You want traffic? Post a photo of your dog with the special. I kid you not.

I do not think I have ever gotten more than 10 likes on anything. So find more stress signs and post them! That's partly what we're supposed to be doing anyway...posting fun things the fans will want to share and laugh at.

Madeleine said:
Uh-oh, I might fall into that 'rabid' category
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
You are not even close! I have 2 fans who I do not even know, have never met them, not a clue how they found me and they like almost every post.

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
You are not even close! I have 2 fans who I do not even know, have never met them, not a clue how they found me and they like almost every post.
Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
I restrained myself today from 'liking' your photo...now I just might have to go back and click on it :)

Back