Quantcast

Vet request for night changes, anyone?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

Mountain Inn

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Anyone else getting requests for changing the room night from Nov. 10? We booked two Vets for the night of Nov 10 - had originally planned for one, but with so many requests, decided to expand it to two. The first one called back later to cancel because of his schedule conflicts. The second is happy. We then offered it to the third caller, who accepted and asked us to hold one paid day prior to the Nov. 10 event. We did, sent detailed confirmation. He later called to say that he would like the extra day the day AFTER the gift day, rather than before. We sent new confirmation, for Nov 10 and 11, with the second day as a paid day. Just got an email saying that when we spoke by phone, I had agreed to Thursday and Friday, Nov. 11 and 12, with the 11th as the gift day with a request to please reconfirm accordingly. I recalled that I had agreed to move the paid day to the day after the special gift night of Nov. 10. ????? Although we do not wish to make any vet unhappy, we are not prepared to give free nights other than the night of the 10th. Anyone else had this happen yet?
Thanks again, Kathleen, Jeanne, Jim...You three should set up your own marketing company when you retire next time!! Please know I am not complaining!
 

EmptyNest

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
8,741
Reaction score
1
I think they have to understand...the program is for the one day/night. THat is it....it was created that way to avoid these kinds of issues I believe.
If you choose to do something different, you are on your own. You can do what you please, but they should not think everyone will do it and then tell someone else. The program is very clear...that is the way it is.
 

gillumhouse

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
15,554
Reaction score
136
You are under no obligation to do ANYTHING other than the frre night - minimum 1 room - so do not feel sorry for ANYONE and bend!!! PITA ALERT!!! Just because they are Vets does not mean they are not going to be a PITA.
I just sent off a VERY bitchy reply to a Vet who was complaining because HE was not able to find a room within an 8 hour drive. Had he been nice I would have told him to look at the web site daily.
No one DESERVES these rooms - they are a GIFT. The overwhelming response has been: Thank You for thinking of us - few others have.
I refuse to let jerks make me sorry I did this. I AM ready to kill DH right now though. Anyone ready to give me an alibi? His 9 AM doc appt that I HAD to go along on turned into being done at 11:45 and he had the nerve to tell me to not take it out on him when I had not said one word - just thought a few!
 

muirford

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
2,493
Reaction score
12
One of my first phone calls was from someone who wanted a free night on the 10th or the 11th - before we were full. I told her we had a room available on the 10th, which was the actual night of the program. She said that other B&Bs had offered the 11th as well. If some B&Bs want to do that, it's fine - but it's not really what the promotion is and they won't be listed on the website unless they have at least one free room on the 10th. Whatever anyone else does is their own promotion, and we've removed inns from the website if they aren't complying with that requirement.
ETA: Through this promotion learned that some innkeepers aren't very nice, some vets aren't very appreciative, and there's a lot of people outside of innkeeping who want to get the publicity of this effort without doing any of the work. Just like guests - about 1% are PITAs; thank goodness the other 99% are not.
 

MTLLodge

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
725
Reaction score
0
One of my first phone calls was from someone who wanted a free night on the 10th or the 11th - before we were full. I told her we had a room available on the 10th, which was the actual night of the program. She said that other B&Bs had offered the 11th as well. If some B&Bs want to do that, it's fine - but it's not really what the promotion is and they won't be listed on the website unless they have at least one free room on the 10th. Whatever anyone else does is their own promotion, and we've removed inns from the website if they aren't complying with that requirement.
ETA: Through this promotion learned that some innkeepers aren't very nice, some vets aren't very appreciative, and there's a lot of people outside of innkeeping who want to get the publicity of this effort without doing any of the work. Just like guests - about 1% are PITAs; thank goodness the other 99% are not..
I had someone complain on my facebook page. ( I deleted it) Is sooooooooo happy I didn't end up with that PITA. There is a God!
 

Innkeep

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
1,271
Reaction score
3
One of my vets wanted to fit their family of four into a room for two adults and was very unhappy to find out that I don't take children under 13 and that I cannot put 4 people in a room for two. I'm happy to give the rooms, but people are funny. I offered to let the adults come on the Saturday of their choice and leave the kids with a sitter. She hasn't gotten back to me with that offer.
 

Arks

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
6,113
Reaction score
131
One of my vets wanted to fit their family of four into a room for two adults and was very unhappy to find out that I don't take children under 13 and that I cannot put 4 people in a room for two. I'm happy to give the rooms, but people are funny. I offered to let the adults come on the Saturday of their choice and leave the kids with a sitter. She hasn't gotten back to me with that offer..
Innkeep said:
One of my vets wanted to fit their family of four into a room for two adults and was very unhappy to find out that I don't take children under 13 and that I cannot put 4 people in a room for two.
The rooms for vets program is bound to pull in a lot of people who've never stayed at a B&B before, and don't know what to expect. There are, of course, both pluses and minuses in that.
 

egoodell

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
3,023
Reaction score
0
One of my vets wanted to fit their family of four into a room for two adults and was very unhappy to find out that I don't take children under 13 and that I cannot put 4 people in a room for two. I'm happy to give the rooms, but people are funny. I offered to let the adults come on the Saturday of their choice and leave the kids with a sitter. She hasn't gotten back to me with that offer..
Innkeep said:
One of my vets wanted to fit their family of four into a room for two adults and was very unhappy to find out that I don't take children under 13 and that I cannot put 4 people in a room for two. I'm happy to give the rooms, but people are funny. I offered to let the adults come on the Saturday of their choice and leave the kids with a sitter. She hasn't gotten back to me with that offer.
That's plain trying to take advantage. You're better off without that one. I had a call that wanted to cram people into one room. I told them the deal was for a party of two as my rooms sleep two. Period.
RIki
 

Samster

Well-known member
Joined
May 30, 2008
Messages
6,475
Reaction score
14
Location
South Carolina
I agree....this is a GIFT for veterans on Veterans' Day! When the room(s) that are made available by individual innkeepers are gone, they're gone. This is not a free room choose whatever day of the year to get it free because you're a vet promotion.
If any B&B varies from the original intent, that's their choice and I think that they should be sure to make that clear to their guest.
Some people are just cheeky!
 

Paradise

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2010
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Unfortunately...give an inch, take a mile... applies across the board..
 
Top