Veterans Web Site is LIVE!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, your link works..but I should be able to type in this and get it...and I didn't. A search from my facebook page didn't produce a link:-(
How did you find it?
B&Bs for Vets[/h1].
I don't know what to tell you; when I type that in, the page comes up. There is also a link to it on my inn's page, and I recommended it to my friends so you should see it.
It may come up because you are already a friend or you like the page. It didn't come up for me, either. I ended up clicking on someone else's link in a post on my wall.
or it might be that it won't come up in a general search until we get 25 fans and can 'name' the page. It's hard to tell. If everyone recommends it to their friends, we will get a lot of fans quickly.
So far there are 15 fans.

We just signed up for the program.... looking forward to honoring the veterans that serve!

We just signed up for the program.... looking forward to honoring the veterans that serve!.
greyswan said:
We just signed up for the program.... looking forward to honoring the veterans that serve!
Good for you! I was surprised to see I was the only inn from Virginia! I told my BBAV rep but may need to send him the link.
Riki

checked this morning up to 25!! woo hoo.
Yay! But, arrgh - Facebook won't let me give it a username. Any one that I try it says it has to be more than five characters. Of course the ones I'm trying are more than five characters. I don't know what the problem is but others have it too. Dang Facebook.

We just signed up for the program.... looking forward to honoring the veterans that serve!.
Will be sending more in this afternoon. I am about to go to the dealer - brakes are scraping!!! They are working me in.................

Kathleen,
I'm going to try and see if I can get others to participate in my veteran's night. If they do, can we list them on the website as participaing? I just emailed Monticello and have no clue as to their policies so very well might get turned down. But if they donate can they be mentioned?
RIki

Kathleen,
I'm going to try and see if I can get others to participate in my veteran's night. If they do, can we list them on the website as participaing? I just emailed Monticello and have no clue as to their policies so very well might get turned down. But if they donate can they be mentioned?
RIki.
Riki- Personally, I think that could get out of hand. What would be better (IMO) is to have a pkg with Monticello that YOU offer. Stay here, get this too.
Also, I would imagine that whoever is updating the website is doing it gratis and I wouldn't want to make more work for that person.

Kathleen,
RIki.
Riki- Personally, I think that could get out of hand. What would be better (IMO) is to have a pkg with Monticello that YOU offer. Stay here, get this too.
Also, I would imagine that whoever is updating the website is doing it gratis and I wouldn't want to make more work for that person.
Morticia said:
True, that.
Also we have been pretty restrictive on what B&Bs can offer - it's a free room, that night. If you charge for Nov. 10 but give a free room on Nov. 12 you aren't officially participating. Verifying all those other potential offers would be impossible. Your suggestion - make a package deal and put it on your website - is the best one.
Last year the guy who does my laundry gave me a free day of laundry service free during that week. He was a vet, and he saw the local news story on the TV. This year I'll make sure he gets mentioned if/when we do another news story. You could do the same for any partner promotions.

Kathleen,
RIki.
Morticia said:
True, that.
Also we have been pretty restrictive on what B&Bs can offer - it's a free room, that night. If you charge for Nov. 10 but give a free room on Nov. 12 you aren't officially participating. Verifying all those other potential offers would be impossible. Your suggestion - make a package deal and put it on your website - is the best one.
Last year the guy who does my laundry gave me a free day of laundry service free during that week. He was a vet, and he saw the local news story on the TV. This year I'll make sure he gets mentioned if/when we do another news story. You could do the same for any partner promotions.
That's what I was thinking. We're going to try to get some buy in here from restaurants to offer something that we can bundle. Some are adding tix to attractions, that sort of thing. But it will all be on our own websites. I will put a link to the special on the home page of my site later on this summer.

I just created a facebook page for the effort as well. Search facebook for B&Bs for Vets. As soon as we get 25 'likes' I'll get the real name..
I also couldn't find the FB page it in a FB search but Seashanty's link worked and there were 32 fans when I clicked "like"! YAY!! Good job y'all. As an Army Nurse Corps veteran and married to a Air Force vet, I know that there are lots of folks who will really appreciate this. Thank YOU!!

I just created a facebook page for the effort as well. Search facebook for B&Bs for Vets. As soon as we get 25 'likes' I'll get the real name..
I also couldn't find the FB page it in a FB search but Seashanty's link worked and there were 32 fans when I clicked "like"! YAY!! Good job y'all. As an Army Nurse Corps veteran and married to a Air Force vet, I know that there are lots of folks who will really appreciate this. Thank YOU!!
I named the page but I have no idea how the facebook search function gets indexed, so the best thing would be for anyone who is a fan to share it with your friends and post about it on your profile, both personal and business. That's the best way to spread the word.

Kathleen,
RIki.
Morticia said:
Sounds good to me. I can do a page on it.
RIki

Here is the direct facebook page link ...
facebook can be difficult sometimes in my opinon. i tried to share a page (not related to the b&b for vets) and then ended up creating a group page because no one could find it. and now there are two 'pages' and a group page. trying to figure out if i can condense them.
anyway ... here's the url for the b&b for vets
[link pulled intentionally by request -swirt]

i think the website needs to say just a little more ...
right on the front page
that this is NOT a government program, not a subsidized program ... that participating b&b's are donating rooms and they are not being compensated/paid whatever to do this. and that each b&b has agreed to offer free rooms for veterans or those serving in the united states armed forces, on november 10, 2010. any other offers being given by participating b&b's are at their own discretion.
here are some questions i have been asked through messages to me privately my answer follows each question.
1. my wife and i are both veterans, can't we get two nights?
no. and you can't check in with another couple to get two rooms and then switch partners.
2. just one night?
yes, just one night
3. can't we stay a different night for free?
no ... just november 10.
4. what about the 4th of july?
no ... just november 10.
5. can i stay someplace not on the list?
sure, just pay the room rate. it's only a free night at a participating bed and breakfast
6. what if the place i want to stay at is full?
try another b&b on the list
7. what about b&b's in canada?
?
no offense, but there is one person who i want to scold ... severely. as in 'don't be greedy! the b&b's are giving you a room and they are losing income to do it!'
bless you all ...

WHOA, NELLIE!!! That is what I get for going to get my brakes fixed this morning. Over 5 hours and over $550 and I got to come home!
I am putting the data into a spresadsheet and forwarding it to Jim to upload - neither of us has the time to do anything else. This is ONE FREE NIGHT mi,imum of ONE ROOM (innkeeper can give more IF THEY CHOOSE but I am grateful for one) on November 10, 2010 ONLY!!
The data you see is all that is going to be up. I have already recieved an e-mail that "everyone on my association is in" with a link to the association web site. I dug out each inn so each of them get the credit. I anyone wants to do more - bless you, do what you want but only a room is going to be indicated.
I see SS's point about making it clear thes inns are providing the rooms as their thank you and there is no compensation of any kind other than the warm feeling of extending a thank you to the military for their service.
Thanks to all for pointing out things that need to be made clear.

i think the website needs to say just a little more ...
right on the front page
that this is NOT a government program, not a subsidized program ... that participating b&b's are donating rooms and they are not being compensated/paid whatever to do this. and that each b&b has agreed to offer free rooms for veterans or those serving in the united states armed forces, on november 10, 2010. any other offers being given by participating b&b's are at their own discretion.
here are some questions i have been asked through messages to me privately my answer follows each question.
1. my wife and i are both veterans, can't we get two nights?
no. and you can't check in with another couple to get two rooms and then switch partners.
2. just one night?
yes, just one night
3. can't we stay a different night for free?
no ... just november 10.
4. what about the 4th of july?
no ... just november 10.
5. can i stay someplace not on the list?
sure, just pay the room rate. it's only a free night at a participating bed and breakfast
6. what if the place i want to stay at is full?
try another b&b on the list
7. what about b&b's in canada?
?
no offense, but there is one person who i want to scold ... severely. as in 'don't be greedy! the b&b's are giving you a room and they are losing income to do it!'
bless you all ....
hahaha....The answer to #1 is pretty dang funny.
teeth_smile.gif

I think this is great for veterans but there are some folks out there who will try to milk this offer.
I hope that you get even more B&B participants!

We now have 91 sent in and 1 waiting for the next batch to go in tomorrow. Thanks to Mooseberry we now have both Alaska and Hawaii! We are getting there!

Back