Vets event

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thumbs_up.gif

I am also. I have never been full this early!! I am giving them the whole weekend. I figure I have to wash the sheets & towels and clean the rooms no matter how many nights it is s I may as well give them a real thank you with the weekend. Breakfasts are not that big a deal. November here is not like September or October - I have even been surprised at the number of reservations coming in this year for Sept/Oct!!!

wow!
i tried to stress book early to my niece and her new husband who are both doctors in the air force but i think they may be locked out already.

I am also. I have never been full this early!! I am giving them the whole weekend. I figure I have to wash the sheets & towels and clean the rooms no matter how many nights it is s I may as well give them a real thank you with the weekend. Breakfasts are not that big a deal. November here is not like September or October - I have even been surprised at the number of reservations coming in this year for Sept/Oct!!!.
thumbs_up.gif

wow!
i tried to stress book early to my niece and her new husband who are both doctors in the air force but i think they may be locked out already..
I think there are still places with avail. OK, short list. I didn't realize. They should keep checking the website as more places sign up.

wow!
i tried to stress book early to my niece and her new husband who are both doctors in the air force but i think they may be locked out already..
I would tell them to choose a B & B and call to see if they are participating. The list will be filled before it goes up because the military knows it is going to happen and they ain't waiting for any stinkin' list. Plus many innkeepers are just doing it and are not bothering with the PAII list. Some have had a problem getting listed (I did last year and Riki did this year) and just gave up.
If that one is not participating, call another until they find one.

I was finally able to get in to PAII and add my inn. I am so disappointed. I got a reservation for Friday and Saturday, requesting the free night. I let them know a weekend stay requires the wine tour which they said they did not want. So then they said they just wanted the free night. So I confirmed Sunday. They then told me they have a child so have to switch the Sunday to Saturday.
I told them the promotion is for Sunday night only so would cancel their booking so someone else could take advantage of it.
I'm starting to see why none of the inns in Charlottesville are participating. We seem to attract people who just want to take advantage - those who can easily afford to come. I wish I could get a nice couple who normally can't afford to get away .
Erika

I was finally able to get in to PAII and add my inn. I am so disappointed. I got a reservation for Friday and Saturday, requesting the free night. I let them know a weekend stay requires the wine tour which they said they did not want. So then they said they just wanted the free night. So I confirmed Sunday. They then told me they have a child so have to switch the Sunday to Saturday.
I told them the promotion is for Sunday night only so would cancel their booking so someone else could take advantage of it.
I'm starting to see why none of the inns in Charlottesville are participating. We seem to attract people who just want to take advantage - those who can easily afford to come. I wish I could get a nice couple who normally can't afford to get away .
Erika.
Generally, we get at least one person who thinks they are entitled to the free night, rather than thinking it is a nice thing someone is doing for them. I really don't think it sinks in that I just gave away over $1000 in revenue from my own pocket. MY pocket. No one is reimbursing me. At least say thank you.
Today we had someone ask what the restaurants and stores were going to be doing for them. OK, nothing. Some places offer dinner or lunch for free. But when you start asking what someone is going to give to you it makes for bad feelings.

Erika.
Generally, we get at least one person who thinks they are entitled to the free night, rather than thinking it is a nice thing someone is doing for them. I really don't think it sinks in that I just gave away over $1000 in revenue from my own pocket. MY pocket. No one is reimbursing me. At least say thank you.
Today we had someone ask what the restaurants and stores were going to be doing for them. OK, nothing. Some places offer dinner or lunch for free. But when you start asking what someone is going to give to you it makes for bad feelings.
The ones that went all out with dinners etc without realizing it, hurt the rest of us. I am sorry, but a free rooms is all I asked anyone to do and all I expected. I am doing rooms only. I figure if I give you a free room, you can afford to go buy your dinner,
I must admit that all of mine have been grateful for the getaway. Most of mine have been young couples that really could not afford to get away otherwise. The older guy was thanking me all over the place for telling his wife SHE was the hero no one acknowledged because she had to do everything while he was deployed and stay upbeat for him.
That reminds me - I have to fill out the form and do a freebie for the USS Enterprise. They found me again this year. They do a night before celebration for the families of the crew the night before the ship comes back in port.

Erika.
The ones that went all out with dinners etc without realizing it, hurt the rest of us. I am sorry, but a free rooms is all I asked anyone to do and all I expected. I am doing rooms only. I figure if I give you a free room, you can afford to go buy your dinner,
I must admit that all of mine have been grateful for the getaway. Most of mine have been young couples that really could not afford to get away otherwise. The older guy was thanking me all over the place for telling his wife SHE was the hero no one acknowledged because she had to do everything while he was deployed and stay upbeat for him.
That reminds me - I have to fill out the form and do a freebie for the USS Enterprise. They found me again this year. They do a night before celebration for the families of the crew the night before the ship comes back in port.
We would have asked the restaurants again this year if they wanted to do anything but it's on the usual day they do something anyway. I do have someone who has offered to make a special gift for each room. No idea what it is!
Perhaps this person heard about what was offered in years past, but it's still rude to ask. Most of the people we've had have not been 'needy' in that they couldn't afford a one night getaway if they had to pay for it. Maybe it's because the group that usually calls first is based here, with their own homes and spouses who are working good jobs.
This year we have an oddly busy Nov. I am surprised by the number of bookings I have so far. Usually it is a struggle to get more than one nighters.

Erika.
We are both vets here and as a prospective guest, I would not take advantage of the free night offer just because it's out there. I figure that there are a lot of young people serving or who have recently separated from the service that might not have the resources usually to stay at a B&B. Just my personal opinion...
There's a large military presence here and lots of merchants give a military discount (usually for active duty only) all the time, so they don't do anything special for Veteran's Day. We offered a discount for military folks (with ID) but also to family members coming here for graduations for the many training schools. It always seemed to be appreciated...

Erika.
We are both vets here and as a prospective guest, I would not take advantage of the free night offer just because it's out there. I figure that there are a lot of young people serving or who have recently separated from the service that might not have the resources usually to stay at a B&B. Just my personal opinion...
There's a large military presence here and lots of merchants give a military discount (usually for active duty only) all the time, so they don't do anything special for Veteran's Day. We offered a discount for military folks (with ID) but also to family members coming here for graduations for the many training schools. It always seemed to be appreciated...
The first year we got a combo of young, active and older, retired. Next year it was almost all 'career' (read 'desk job') and retired.

Erika.
The first year we got a combo of young, active and older, retired. Next year it was almost all 'career' (read 'desk job') and retired.
Last year I had a medic and a Special Forces. The Special Forces had been to Afghanistan, came home, on a training exercise got his leg ripped off in parachute chords, got fitted for a leg, went back to Afghanistan, got MRSA in the short leg that was made shorter. He came out this time on medical and was going to college. The medic was also going to college.
Now packing up a box with rack cards and a 2-night for the USS Enterprise.

Back