Vibrating Pipes!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Took the filter out down in the basement, fidgeted around with the toilet in one room, no water is running anywhere, the pipes are groaning every 10 minutes and we have three rooms checked in. Dh has run to lowes twice...the rest of the story is on the link below:
Waiting for the last room to check out today I blogged it. Our guests love the inner-workings of the whole innkeeping thing, weird I know.

DH had to climb into the interstitial space and secure the pipes, he crawled on his belly over rafter about 2 foot high, which left no room, except back scraping along this area. He has his dewalt drill and screws and set them in. Why were they not done? Another one of those OLD HOUSE and STUPID PO'S moments for us. The pipes rattled every 10 minutes for hours and hours and hours. We had to turn off the water and alert the guests, and then deal with it. The town did some work today and flushed the hydrnats all over town, so this brought debris I am guessing and this issue. NO ONE WAS HERE ALL DAY, and this happened about 2pm. The last noise was one hour ago as he began this work.
I was sure we woul dhave all three rooms evacuate due to this, it was LOUD!

DH had to climb into the interstitial space and secure the pipes, he crawled on his belly over rafter about 2 foot high, which left no room, except back scraping along this area. He has his dewalt drill and screws and set them in. Why were they not done? Another one of those OLD HOUSE and STUPID PO'S moments for us. The pipes rattled every 10 minutes for hours and hours and hours. We had to turn off the water and alert the guests, and then deal with it. The town did some work today and flushed the hydrnats all over town, so this brought debris I am guessing and this issue. NO ONE WAS HERE ALL DAY, and this happened about 2pm. The last noise was one hour ago as he began this work.
I was sure we woul dhave all three rooms evacuate due to this, it was LOUD!.
Capitalize on the pipe banging. Tell 'em it's a ghost.

I was sure we woul dhave all three rooms evacuate due to this, it was LOUD!.
We have pipes that do that and it is the same thing...they've come loose in our case from their hangers. Options: rip up floor upstairs; take down ceiling downstairs; let pipes rattle.

Well DH secured them and this morning we heard a couple groans but they were shorter, he is p'd off! Another task to spend an entire night on when he gets home tonight. BUT it did stop last night. So that is the main thing, more trouble shooting on the way...

Your day sounds even worse than ours was yesterday.
We had water dripping down through the ceiling tiles in the kitchen and we thought it was from guests above us sitting the wrong way in their jetted tub. We pouned on their door, but no they had not even used the tub.
Turns out it came from their shower.
It was a nail hole in the water pipe which had rusted out and showered us in the kitchen, while making breakfast, along with rotting all the tiles and wood above. Thank you DH for figuring that out, thoug it will likely take a few days to fix.
And we were supposed to be spending all day cleaning out the basement to get ready for our new boiler which is to be installed at the beginning of next week. The present one is 103 yrs. old. Yes, like y'all every cent we make goes right back into it.

We had water dripping down through the ceiling tiles in the kitchen and we thought it was from guests above us sitting the wrong way in their jetted tub. We pouned on their door, but no they had not even used the tub.
It was a nail hole in the water pipe which had rusted out and showered us in the kitchen, while making breakfast, along with rotting all the tiles and wood above. Thank you DH for figuring that out, thoug it will likely take a few days to fix.
And we were supposed to be spending all day cleaning out the basement to get ready for our new boiler which is to be installed at the beginning of next week. The present one is 103 yrs. old. Yes, like y'all every cent we make goes right back into it..
Yikers!! Both you & JB have more on your plates than I want on mine. Right now I am dealing with DH who has decided the discarded footboard from Rosi's Room would make a nicer headboard than what is in the Harris. OF COURSE it is not an easy fit. He is at this moment in his workshop drilling holes in a metal plate with his drill press (cursing all the way...) But he is determined. I also have a leak in the roof in the Harris IF it rains in a certain direction. I am now looking for a roofer (wish me luck) to give a ballpark price so I can look into financing - on the sly because DH will be like a dog with a bone harrassing me about it if I tell him. (For now, I am putting down plastic with a bath sheet to catch the drips when it leaks.) New version of cursing and things making noise - throwing things. Bye
Edit: Wood was tossed. Nothing damaged. Belt came off the drill press. Whew! He is determined that will be the headboard and before the day is out - it will be!

And we were supposed to be spending all day cleaning out the basement to get ready for our new boiler which is to be installed at the beginning of next week. The present one is 103 yrs. old. Yes, like y'all every cent we make goes right back into it..
Yikers!! Both you & JB have more on your plates than I want on mine. Right now I am dealing with DH who has decided the discarded footboard from Rosi's Room would make a nicer headboard than what is in the Harris. OF COURSE it is not an easy fit. He is at this moment in his workshop drilling holes in a metal plate with his drill press (cursing all the way...) But he is determined. I also have a leak in the roof in the Harris IF it rains in a certain direction. I am now looking for a roofer (wish me luck) to give a ballpark price so I can look into financing - on the sly because DH will be like a dog with a bone harrassing me about it if I tell him. (For now, I am putting down plastic with a bath sheet to catch the drips when it leaks.) New version of cursing and things making noise - throwing things. Bye
Edit: Wood was tossed. Nothing damaged. Belt came off the drill press. Whew! He is determined that will be the headboard and before the day is out - it will be!
its this fricking weather! Im going to have to have a whole new roof on next year as we have a slate roof with nail rot (great) mind its lasted 106 years but slates are starting to slip and We had a leak last winter and I am worried that we will lose a few more this winter and spring a leak.

its this fricking weather! Im going to have to have a whole new roof on next year as we have a slate roof with nail rot (great) mind its lasted 106 years but slates are starting to slip and We had a leak last winter and I am worried that we will lose a few more this winter and spring a leak.
...we have a slate roof with nail rot (great) mind its lasted 106 years...
Are you re-nailing the slate or going with something else?
My own building has a 110 year old metal roof that's worn out so we're replacing it with something that will probably only last 25 years (but cheaper).
Roofs are one case where the old ways were better (lasted much longer) but at least in America we've mostly abandoned them for the cheap, fairly temporary fix.

My own building has a 110 year old metal roof that's worn out so we're replacing it with something that will probably only last 25 years (but cheaper).
Roofs are one case where the old ways were better (lasted much longer) but at least in America we've mostly abandoned them for the cheap, fairly temporary fix.
I am hoping to go with a tin roof instead of shingles. The current roof is from 1989. Cams has my sympathy - slate is VERY expensive.

it has to be slate we are in a conservation area and they are very strict however we should be able to re-use at least 50% of the slate which will help and apparently spanish slate which would be expensive to ship to america is quite cheap so they are going to do all the front with slate they reuse so it all matched and the back with new so that all matches actually it is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be (not that it won't be costing enough) but I have good roofers. the only thing to consider if we could stretch to it would be to convert the loft at the same time as this would be cheaper in the long run however its money and it depends if the council and building regs people would let us, or if they let us what things we would have to do as a condition ie we would probably have to have 30 min fire doors on all the bedroom doors which as none of our doors are a standard size would work out about £200 each to fit and we have 12. however we could make 2 large double bedrooms with ensuites in the roof (next door have done it so ive seen the space) it just depends how long the roof holds up for us to save up the money to do the extra work or whether the immenant falling to bits of the roof comes first. plus if you have seen our picture we are in a terrace and it would look very odd if we were something different!

I wonder if you might have solved the problem by adding a anti hammer pipe? It is just a section of vertcal water pipe about 18 inches or so , capped on the end, attached to the feed line. The captive air absorbes the pulse so it is not transmitted to the system.

JB, definitely sounds like a change in the pressure of water delivered to your house from the City water supply which created the pressure change in your house pipes=noise. I would flush all the house pipes out and see if that did anything to clear it. We've had that happen here a couple of times, but not to the extent that you describe. In the list of things done wrong before we got here, at least securing the pipes wasn't one of them.
Keep us posted!

Back