Vinyl/plastic sheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
There was an article in today's local paper mentioning a problem in hotels. Apparently Vancouver and Whistler have problems as well.
www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html
Pretty scary!.
Locations that attract alot of foreign travelers and their luggage have to deal with this sort of thing. Bedbugs are really on the rise.
catlady said:
Locations that attract alot of foreign travelers and their luggage have to deal with this sort of thing. Bedbugs are really on the rise.
All I can think of isall the visitors and athletes in China bringing them back to the US. Let's keep an eye out and see if it RISES dramatically in the next couple months.

Hi all,
There was an article in today's local paper mentioning a problem in hotels. Apparently Vancouver and Whistler have problems as well.
Pretty scary!.
catlady said:
All I can think of isall the visitors and athletes in China bringing them back to the US. Let's keep an eye out and see if it RISES dramatically in the next couple months.
Hmmm...i am thinking because the athletes were staying in a new and totally modern facility..that it MIGHT be ok..but the visitors...that's another story. But the Chinese have so controlled just about every aspect of the Games, where people could actually go...it was probably pretty well sanitized for the average visitor.

i bought a steamer and have steam cleaned the mattresses and box springs (one at a time when we are slow i do them again)
this supposedly kills off anything that might be lurking. haven't seen any evidence and, to tell the truth, i don't want to!
tea tree oil and water in a mister is a deterent ... it's not a pesticide but if you are looking for something less caustic to discourage the 'buggers' ........
have you seen the matress encasement systems by protect-a-bed? you basically lock any lurkers inside, or lock any visitors out.

Hi all,
Pretty scary!.
catlady said:
Hmmm...i am thinking because the athletes were staying in a new and totally modern facility..that it MIGHT be ok..but the visitors...that's another story. But the Chinese have so controlled just about every aspect of the Games, where people could actually go...it was probably pretty well sanitized for the average visitor.
catlady said:
Yes new facilities etc, but the workers at the hotels etc do not live in them. They can bring them in from home.

i bought a steamer and have steam cleaned the mattresses and box springs (one at a time when we are slow i do them again)
this supposedly kills off anything that might be lurking. haven't seen any evidence and, to tell the truth, i don't want to!
tea tree oil and water in a mister is a deterent ... it's not a pesticide but if you are looking for something less caustic to discourage the 'buggers' ........
have you seen the matress encasement systems by protect-a-bed? you basically lock any lurkers inside, or lock any visitors out..
Health department requires commercial pest control here. I have them spray both our properties every 2 months. He sprays the yards really well, and around the foundations of the houses. Then, he sprays all entry points inside. Warm climate...plenty of bugs here. ugh.

have you seen the matress encasement systems by protect-a-bed? you basically lock any lurkers inside, or lock any visitors out..
Health department requires commercial pest control here. I have them spray both our properties every 2 months. He sprays the yards really well, and around the foundations of the houses. Then, he sprays all entry points inside. Warm climate...plenty of bugs here. ugh.
Here is a helpful resource. Bedbugs Factsheet

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems. Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!

I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof. Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that. No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet.

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems. Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!.
vancouverislander said:
A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems. Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!
You steam clean your mattresses every time you flip a room? That's not good for the mattresses, and it can lead to mold and mildew, especially in a humid environment. Covering up the mattress with protectors, pads and linens, etc., before it is completely dry exacerbates the problem.

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems. Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!.
vancouverislander said:
How does that help? And EVERY changeover? Holy cow. Doesn't the steam get the mattress damp?

I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof. Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that. No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet..
muirford said:
I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof. Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that. No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet.
Pardon my hysterical giggling here, but this sounds like princess and the pea bedding! And, did you mean 6 mil, rather than 6 inches, cuz you're gonna need a ladder to get into that bed!

I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof. Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that. No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet..
muirford said:
Pardon my hysterical giggling here, but this sounds like princess and the pea bedding! And, did you mean 6 mil, rather than 6 inches, cuz you're gonna need a ladder to get into that bed!
Must have been a freudian slip since I feel like I just had the princess/pea guest here
teeth_smile.gif
. Yes, it's actually 6 mil rather than 3 mil.
I want to open the windows to get rid of the vinyl smell also, but we are started into the rain now.

muirford said:
Must have been a freudian slip since I feel like I just had the princess/pea guest here
teeth_smile.gif
I want to open the windows to get rid of the vinyl smell also, but we are started into the rain now.
I was wondering how people did those feather beds. I could not see having to wash THOSE every couple of weeks or more. Do you put a thin mattress cover over that? Not a think one, right?
I took my nephews up into the attic to see what's up there and I have all the duvets stored there for now. One nephew leaned on the pile of them and said, 'You should put these on the beds.' I told him I do in the winter but now people kick them onto the floor. He said, 'Not on top, right in the bed, these are so comfy!' There ya go then. 13 yo and he knows comfy!
You must have to have really deep fitted sheets to do the feather beds.

muirford said:
teeth_smile.gif
I was wondering how people did those feather beds. I could not see having to wash THOSE every couple of weeks or more. Do you put a thin mattress cover over that? Not a think one, right?
I took my nephews up into the attic to see what's up there and I have all the duvets stored there for now. One nephew leaned on the pile of them and said, 'You should put these on the beds.' I told him I do in the winter but now people kick them onto the floor. He said, 'Not on top, right in the bed, these are so comfy!' There ya go then. 13 yo and he knows comfy!
You must have to have really deep fitted sheets to do the feather beds.
We didn't want to do the plush top mattresses but I find the firm mattresses a little too tough to sleep on so we thought the featherbeds were a good option. The memory foams seem too hot to me. We don't wash them because they are under the mattress cover and are not slept on directly - even with cover kickers. The mattress covers are pretty thin although I have a few that are thicker from earlier in our ownership. They are harder to wash, too.
I have had to get deeper pocketed sheets anyway when I bought new mattesses a few years ago - I need a minimum of 11-inch pockets for my beds.

Holy cow! Does all that layering shift at all? Sounds cozy. Aha! Maybe the dude that wrote about your beds had some feather topper slippage!

Holy cow! Does all that layering shift at all? Sounds cozy. Aha! Maybe the dude that wrote about your beds had some feather topper slippage!
The ones that I made up today are strung tight as a drum; they don't move an iota. I do think he had an issue with the featherbed - his was a fiberbed (hypo-allergenic) and I think they are lumpier than the feather. If he had just let me know, we could have removed it.

The ones that I made up today are strung tight as a drum; they don't move an iota. I do think he had an issue with the featherbed - his was a fiberbed (hypo-allergenic) and I think they are lumpier than the feather. If he had just let me know, we could have removed it.
Guests do need to let us know how we can help them to be more comfortable don't they? Being psychic could have it's advantages in this job though ;-)

Guests do need to let us know how we can help them to be more comfortable don't they? Being psychic could have it's advantages in this job though ;-)
Samster said:
Heaven help me! I do NOT want to know what they're thinking!

Samster said:
Heaven help me! I do NOT want to know what they're thinking!
Probably not...could start out OK but then not so much. Kinda like that Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want".
wink_smile.gif

Back