Vinyl/plastic sheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Well, have done almost all the beds as of today. One left for tomorrow. Other than that particular 'vinyl' smell, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the beds. The smell will dissipate over time, so I just need to leave the windows open.
I feel much more comfortable now. It's amazing how much subliminal worrying I was doing about the mattresses over the years. No longer. We also flipped all the mattresses at the same time, so that is done as well.
We got the sheets at Target (deeper mattresses) and BB&B (only 9" thick mattresses). Total for 11 beds was around $80.

Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!

Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!.
Willowpondgj said:
Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!
On top of the vinyl sheet is a 2-3" cotton mattress pad. I think if I don't mention the vinyl, no one will even know it is there. With the mattress pad on top, I think it will deaden any of that 'scratchy' sound, too.
And if anyone wants to trade 'too hot' stories with me, I'll tell them I run the window fan into November, when hubs absolutely says, 'It has to stop now!'

Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!.
Willowpondgj said:
On top of the vinyl sheet is a 2-3" cotton mattress pad. I think if I don't mention the vinyl, no one will even know it is there. With the mattress pad on top, I think it will deaden any of that 'scratchy' sound, too.
And if anyone wants to trade 'too hot' stories with me, I'll tell them I run the window fan into November, when hubs absolutely says, 'It has to stop now!'
it will be fine! you have to protect your mattresses.
any grumbling or grumping by a guest and i would tell them it is for sanitary reasons for their protection. which is true. it's one thing for a family member to wet their own family owned and used mattress, it's quite another for this to happen to a guest bed.
we have them on our mattresses and i have not heard any complaints. it is the last barrier under the quilted mattress pad and the sheet.

read this with a prissy innkeeper voice "Yes. tell the guests if they complain that other guests urinate all over the beds.
confused_smile.gif

That oughta stop all comments. Too much information.

read this with a prissy innkeeper voice "Yes. tell the guests if they complain that other guests urinate all over the beds.
confused_smile.gif

That oughta stop all comments. Too much information..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

That oughta stop all comments. Too much information.
I have been trying to find the 'right' explanation should anyone going stripping the beds looking for brand names. I think I would go with the 'protection of assets' and 'comfort of all guests'. If that brings on complaints, I say it is required by the board of health. Period.

Just a guest’s perspective, purely for FYI purposes: I once stayed at a little "ma and pop" place on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, rather than a traditional hotel chain like I normally did, when I was coming to South Florida somewhat regularly in search of a charteryacht. They had those vinyl/plastic sheets. While I really like location, the amenities, the room, the quaintness, the fact that it was run by people who had an interest in the place rather than a large corporation, and most everything about the place, the crunching noise from the plastic was unbearable. I did not go back, and I was leery of the small, independent inns on the beach thereafter because I didn’t want to have to try to sleep through all the noise of the plastic.
When I went looking for waterproof mattress pads for the yacht, this scenario came to mind and I ended up finding one that was waterproof, but not plastic sounding. The first ones I got were plastic sounding, and after I opened the first one, they all got returned for fear that there will be people like me who won’t be repeat guests if the beds make that kind of noise with every movement. It sounds like you’ve taken steps to damper that noise. The whole mattress ordeal is just a catch 22, and I completely understand why inns protect their mattresses. So far, I've been lucky without incident that ever reached the mattress - I'm counting on the waterproof mattress pads to be what they say they are. It's not like I've got room to keep extra mattresses on hand.
Speaking of mattresses, I got a call Friday from a guest who was here 2 years ago. This was nice to hear: She mentioned that the night she spent here was the very best night’s sleep she’s ever had in her entire life due to how comfortable the beds were. What’s funny about that is that the mattress was the original 26 year old FOAM mattress. Hatteras used the very best materials available when building these classics (lot of airliner-quality stuff - you should see how thick the copper pipes are when you cut one open!!!) and the guests’s comment about the comfort of such an old foam mattress speaks to the validity of the Hatteras reputation. I’m still sleeping on 28 year old foam, and it’s very comfortable. I’m almost afraid to get new mattresses. :)

Just a guest’s perspective, purely for FYI purposes: I once stayed at a little "ma and pop" place on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, rather than a traditional hotel chain like I normally did, when I was coming to South Florida somewhat regularly in search of a charteryacht. They had those vinyl/plastic sheets. While I really like location, the amenities, the room, the quaintness, the fact that it was run by people who had an interest in the place rather than a large corporation, and most everything about the place, the crunching noise from the plastic was unbearable. I did not go back, and I was leery of the small, independent inns on the beach thereafter because I didn’t want to have to try to sleep through all the noise of the plastic.
When I went looking for waterproof mattress pads for the yacht, this scenario came to mind and I ended up finding one that was waterproof, but not plastic sounding. The first ones I got were plastic sounding, and after I opened the first one, they all got returned for fear that there will be people like me who won’t be repeat guests if the beds make that kind of noise with every movement. It sounds like you’ve taken steps to damper that noise. The whole mattress ordeal is just a catch 22, and I completely understand why inns protect their mattresses. So far, I've been lucky without incident that ever reached the mattress - I'm counting on the waterproof mattress pads to be what they say they are. It's not like I've got room to keep extra mattresses on hand.
Speaking of mattresses, I got a call Friday from a guest who was here 2 years ago. This was nice to hear: She mentioned that the night she spent here was the very best night’s sleep she’s ever had in her entire life due to how comfortable the beds were. What’s funny about that is that the mattress was the original 26 year old FOAM mattress. Hatteras used the very best materials available when building these classics (lot of airliner-quality stuff - you should see how thick the copper pipes are when you cut one open!!!) and the guests’s comment about the comfort of such an old foam mattress speaks to the validity of the Hatteras reputation. I’m still sleeping on 28 year old foam, and it’s very comfortable. I’m almost afraid to get new mattresses. :).
Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.
Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

Speaking of mattresses, I got a call Friday from a guest who was here 2 years ago. This was nice to hear: She mentioned that the night she spent here was the very best night’s sleep she’s ever had in her entire life due to how comfortable the beds were. What’s funny about that is that the mattress was the original 26 year old FOAM mattress. Hatteras used the very best materials available when building these classics (lot of airliner-quality stuff - you should see how thick the copper pipes are when you cut one open!!!) and the guests’s comment about the comfort of such an old foam mattress speaks to the validity of the Hatteras reputation. I’m still sleeping on 28 year old foam, and it’s very comfortable. I’m almost afraid to get new mattresses. :).
Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.
Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)
Bree said:
Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said. If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or? You have already done what you need to, just wondering.
You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise. Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there. This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too. It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.

Wow, that was super inexpensive to do all those beds. I hope that the plastic/vinyl isn't noisy too. I'm not a fan of those covers because I toss & turn alot & they've been noisy when we've encountered them. That's why I got just the waterproof mattress pads to go under the thick mattress pads. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours work out for you!

any are welcome to come here, check in, sleep on the bed (or try to with my noisy mattress protectors) and tell me if any noise is disturbing you. i slept on two of the eight beds, and no noise with the brand i bought. they are not plastic - they are a rubber/cotton thing or some such configuration. cost the earth for me at the time.
noooooooo ... silly .......... i would not be alluding to bed wetters ... although that year the bed bug scandal hit i was worried about that ... turned out to be a non issue. and, as i said, no guest has asked about the mattress pads ... it's just a suggestion of what to say.
i think at least one guest in three years would have complained if a bed was noisy. i mean, i have guests who want no feathers, no wool, no scent, no fabric softener, no potpourri, no air freshener, no rugs or carpet in the room they are staying in ... they complain about the seagulls outside ... guests watching tv downstairs in the library, loud ticking clock radio which i removed during their stay ... so wouldn't they mention noisy bed linens?
i thought the state of maine inspector we had mentioned a requirement for waterproof mattress pads which is when i bought them -- back in 05/06. i don't recall seeing that requirement in writing but i did everything i was told to do.

any are welcome to come here, check in, sleep on the bed (or try to with my noisy mattress protectors) and tell me if any noise is disturbing you. i slept on two of the eight beds, and no noise with the brand i bought. they are not plastic - they are a rubber/cotton thing or some such configuration. cost the earth for me at the time.
noooooooo ... silly .......... i would not be alluding to bed wetters ... although that year the bed bug scandal hit i was worried about that ... turned out to be a non issue. and, as i said, no guest has asked about the mattress pads ... it's just a suggestion of what to say.
i think at least one guest in three years would have complained if a bed was noisy. i mean, i have guests who want no feathers, no wool, no scent, no fabric softener, no potpourri, no air freshener, no rugs or carpet in the room they are staying in ... they complain about the seagulls outside ... guests watching tv downstairs in the library, loud ticking clock radio which i removed during their stay ... so wouldn't they mention noisy bed linens?
i thought the state of maine inspector we had mentioned a requirement for waterproof mattress pads which is when i bought them -- back in 05/06. i don't recall seeing that requirement in writing but i did everything i was told to do..
Hey, one of my neighbors who works renovating hotels was just talking about bed bugs. Is this a problem? I think I read something a long time ago about foreigh travelers bringing them into the States.

i thought the state of maine inspector we had mentioned a requirement for waterproof mattress pads which is when i bought them -- back in 05/06. i don't recall seeing that requirement in writing but i did everything i was told to do..
Hey, one of my neighbors who works renovating hotels was just talking about bed bugs. Is this a problem? I think I read something a long time ago about foreigh travelers bringing them into the States.
Samster said:
Did you see that expose on the old mattresses being recovered and resold and they are full of them! Those discount mattress places are riddled with them, and apparently there is no legislation in place to force them to take care of the problem. Other than to warn consumers.

Bree said:
Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said. If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or? You have already done what you need to, just wondering.
You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise. Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there. This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too. It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bedwetter was in twin bed but I have had parents put a toddler in the king bed with them, so best to cover all the bases. And guests who take the suite or other 2-bed room I can never tell who is getting which bed. Hubs wanted to know if the bed was noisy, but because I never checked before it was hard to tell just by pushing on the mattress pad. I can try the king before I put it on the bed tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference. Heck, I'll get in the bed and bounce around and see what happens.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bedwetter was in twin bed but I have had parents put a toddler in the king bed with them, so best to cover all the bases. And guests who take the suite or other 2-bed room I can never tell who is getting which bed. Hubs wanted to know if the bed was noisy, but because I never checked before it was hard to tell just by pushing on the mattress pad. I can try the king before I put it on the bed tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference. Heck, I'll get in the bed and bounce around and see what happens.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hm, as a parent of prev enuresis children, I would never put them in the same bed. That would be THE CLUE in my estimation. That was why I asked about the twin bed thing. Peeing another bed is a shame, but peeing the bed YOU ARE IN is not going to happen when a parent knows there is an issue with it in advance.
I have a lot to share on the subject off forum if anyone has questions.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hm, as a parent of prev enuresis children, I would never put them in the same bed. That would be THE CLUE in my estimation. That was why I asked about the twin bed thing. Peeing another bed is a shame, but peeing the bed YOU ARE IN is not going to happen when a parent knows there is an issue with it in advance.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
That's how I think on the subject as well...no parent is going to sleep in the bed knowing full well the kid pees. So if they say, 'Oh, so and so will sleep in the same bed,' I'm pretty certain I don't have to worry. NOT that I want all those guests in one room anyway.

Samster said:
Did you see that expose on the old mattresses being recovered and resold and they are full of them! Those discount mattress places are riddled with them, and apparently there is no legislation in place to force them to take care of the problem. Other than to warn consumers.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Samster said:
No!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? omg...that is hideous!

Hi all,
There was an article in today's local paper mentioning a problem in hotels. Apparently Vancouver and Whistler have problems as well.
www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html
Pretty scary!.
When we change the mattress pads (every 2 weeks or so, sometimes more) we do an inspection of the mattress. When we do our big cleaning where we remove all the furniture from the room, we clean the entire bed (wash the frame and vacuum the mattress & boxspring) and vacuum out the outlets, baseboards, radiators, etc.
But, the article is right, it only takes one guest with a couple of bugs and then it's necessary to spray all the rooms the touch the one infected because the bugs will migrate via outlets and pipes.

Back