Violated My Rule On Politics, Religion & Sex

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And on the other side of the table....
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit. And honestly, have had more than the usual amount of phone calls this last week from south of the border booking and filling up my gaps..
2cat_lady said:
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit.
Just as some Canadians have worried about being welcomed in the USA lately, I'd been wondering if Americans would feel welcome in Canada right now.

I visited Quebec City about 1980, for 1 day, loved it, and always wanted to return. But right now I'm afraid to go, for fear of being judged based just on my passport.
I was also thinking last night, how we from the American south are know for hospitality and friendliness and all that, and how Canadians are known for the same. Just seems strange that it's that band in the middle that's know for being less so.
That being said, I spent 3 days in NYC/Queens a few weeks ago and was shocked that the New Yorkers were nicer than I expected. I'm still afraid of Morticia, but that's my shortcoming, not hers! ;-)
New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people around. We just don't suffer fools gladly. So, where you would say, 'Bless his heart,' we say, 'F-off, you idiot!'
At least that's what I've been told. I've always been nice. ;-)
Personally, I think we're a friendly people all around.
I'm also thankful I haven't been paying attention to the Tweeter in Chief lately as I would never think I'd be unwelcome in Canada.
Is anyone else posting on fb or emailing their guests to say we're not all nuts.

Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit. And honestly, have had more than the usual amount of phone calls this last week from south of the border booking and filling up my gaps..
2cat_lady said:
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit.
Just as some Canadians have worried about being welcomed in the USA lately, I'd been wondering if Americans would feel welcome in Canada right now.

I visited Quebec City about 1980, for 1 day, loved it, and always wanted to return. But right now I'm afraid to go, for fear of being judged based just on my passport.
I was also thinking last night, how we from the American south are know for hospitality and friendliness and all that, and how Canadians are known for the same. Just seems strange that it's that band in the middle that's know for being less so.
That being said, I spent 3 days in NYC/Queens a few weeks ago and was shocked that the New Yorkers were nicer than I expected. I'm still afraid of Morticia, but that's my shortcoming, not hers! ;-)
New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people around. We just don't suffer fools gladly. So, where you would say, 'Bless his heart,' we say, 'F-off, you idiot!'
I'm also thankful I haven't been paying attention to the Tweeter in Chief lately as I would never think I'd be unwelcome in Canada.
Is anyone else posting on fb or emailing their guests to say we're not all nuts.
Just so you know, Bless your heart means the same thing in Southern - here anyway.

2cat_lady said:

Just so you know, Bless your heart means the same thing in Southern - here anyway.
gillumhouse said:
I know, but it sounds so much more polite!

2cat_lady said:

gillumhouse said:
True

2cat_lady said:

gillumhouse said:
Somewhat like the words "Excuse me" with a certain tone in Canada that basically means WTFIWWY?

The better way to connect to your Canadian guests would be to create an email list and send them a personal email.

One thing is fact, if they are not going to visit the US due to those issues, your post is not going to change their minds.
I received an email from a past Canadian guest the day after the G-7, who is planning a 3 night stay early next year and bringing 4 other couples with him. Then the following month returning with another 4 couples.

This isn't the first tiff between the countries and it certainly will not be the last.

Back