Violated My Rule On Politics, Religion & Sex

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Violated my rule about mixing politics, religion or sex with my business.
Yesterday I read so much about the G-7 summit and how it was souring Canadian attitudes toward the U.S. Our Canadian guest count has dropped by 25% in the past 12 months, so I wanted to tell my many Canadian guests that one person doesn't represent all of us. I put up a fb post with a Canadian flag saying as much.
After about 2 hours, I decided I should stick to my rule and deleted the post.
Not soon enough, apparently. Someone took issue with it and chose to post a 1-star Yelp review excoriating me for my viewpoint.

It's nonsense and violates Yelp rules. It's not really a personal experience and frankly and doesn't talk about the B&B.
I have one too.... guest didn't know the difference between my wanting to keep them getting spit in their food.

It's going to get worse! We've had guests bring up politics like this at least 3 times at breakfast in the last week. As the relationship between the two largest trading partners in the world deteriorate... it's going to get worse and worse.

On the plus side, I got this very kind private message this morning:
"I don't want to add to the feed that's on your fb page, but we're coming from Canada and booked a while ago. What you wrote actually helps my thoughts on going to the US. We will see you in a month!"
I use my rules as an excuse not to politics with my breakfast guests. With the exception of Canadians. I always tell Canadians how I feel. And without exception, they're glad to find out a real American's viewpoint about them.

It breaks my heart to think that our beloved neighbors to the north are not feeling valued by us here in the USA. We only have one Canadian guest this summer...I am tempted to drop them a note of warm welcome, above and beyond our usual, just to reassure them that they will find themselves very welcome when they visit. Is anyone else concerned with the recent hostile political climate between previously friendly neighbors?

"I don't want to add to the feed that's on your fb page, but we're coming from Canada and booked a while ago. What you wrote actually helps my thoughts on going to the US. We will see you in a month!"
I use my rules as an excuse not to politics with my breakfast guests. With the exception of Canadians. I always tell Canadians how I feel. And without exception, they're glad to find out a real American's viewpoint about them..
PhineasSwann said:
I use my rules as an excuse not to politics with my breakfast guests. With the exception of Canadians. I always tell Canadians how I feel. And without exception, they're glad to find out a real American's viewpoint about them.
Without getting into politics... ;-) our Canadian guests also like to know not everyone is like the Tweeter in Chief. As do the Europeans want to know. And the Australians.
Right now there is too much of a monetary difference for us to get a lot of Canadian business. It's been like that for 2 years now.
We miss them.

It breaks my heart to think that our beloved neighbors to the north are not feeling valued by us here in the USA. We only have one Canadian guest this summer...I am tempted to drop them a note of warm welcome, above and beyond our usual, just to reassure them that they will find themselves very welcome when they visit. Is anyone else concerned with the recent hostile political climate between previously friendly neighbors?.
Yes. Mostly because border crossings will get uglier than they already are so Canadians will start home rather than deal with it. And who can blame them.

Apparently my "friend" decided to 1-star me on Facebook too.
Quite candidly, 99% my guests will read her comments and be thrilled to stay with someone who's elicited such a rant. My only complaint is that "disagreeing" with the person I mentioned is equated by her as "hate" and "hateful comments."
This further illustrates how useless Yelp and Facebook reviews are. I've already sent a fraud alert to TA to head off a bad review there. What awful people.

Apparently my "friend" decided to 1-star me on Facebook too.
Quite candidly, 99% my guests will read her comments and be thrilled to stay with someone who's elicited such a rant. My only complaint is that "disagreeing" with the person I mentioned is equated by her as "hate" and "hateful comments."
This further illustrates how useless Yelp and Facebook reviews are. I've already sent a fraud alert to TA to head off a bad review there. What awful people..
You may want to turn off FB reviews in case she asks friends to write stuff. I would reply to her, but my reply would be suggesting she take her SSRI. :)

Thanks to Generic posting objections to echo mine, both Yelp and FB have taken the offending reviews down. Thanks fellow innkeepers! You surely are .... innspiring.

That's absolutely wonderful news! So glad it worked out, and lessons learned for all of us!

And on the other side of the table....
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit. And honestly, have had more than the usual amount of phone calls this last week from south of the border booking and filling up my gaps.

Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit. And honestly, have had more than the usual amount of phone calls this last week from south of the border booking and filling up my gaps..
We keep on having trouble getting them to NOT talk politics, lately, though. My bookings haven't really changed, but trying to get around the subject is trickier, especially as I have a lot of European guests as well.

Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit. And honestly, have had more than the usual amount of phone calls this last week from south of the border booking and filling up my gaps..
We keep on having trouble getting them to NOT talk politics, lately, though. My bookings haven't really changed, but trying to get around the subject is trickier, especially as I have a lot of European guests as well.
Generic said:
We had quite the open discussion today. I don't like it, but the guests were all on the same page and were helping each other understand.

2cat_lady said:
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit.
Just as some Canadians have worried about being welcomed in the USA lately, I'd been wondering if Americans would feel welcome in Canada right now.

I visited Quebec City about 1980, for 1 day, loved it, and always wanted to return. But right now I'm afraid to go, for fear of being judged based just on my passport.
I was also thinking last night, how we from the American south are know for hospitality and friendliness and all that, and how Canadians are known for the same. Just seems strange that it's that band in the middle that's know for being less so.
That being said, I spent 3 days in NYC/Queens a few weeks ago and was shocked that the New Yorkers were nicer than I expected. I'm still afraid of Morticia, but that's my shortcoming, not hers! ;-)

2cat_lady said:
Our American guests have gone out of their way to tell us that they love us and hope that they can be goodwill ambassadors during their visit.
Just as some Canadians have worried about being welcomed in the USA lately, I'd been wondering if Americans would feel welcome in Canada right now.

I visited Quebec City about 1980, for 1 day, loved it, and always wanted to return. But right now I'm afraid to go, for fear of being judged based just on my passport.
I was also thinking last night, how we from the American south are know for hospitality and friendliness and all that, and how Canadians are known for the same. Just seems strange that it's that band in the middle that's know for being less so.
That being said, I spent 3 days in NYC/Queens a few weeks ago and was shocked that the New Yorkers were nicer than I expected. I'm still afraid of Morticia, but that's my shortcoming, not hers! ;-)
Just tell everyone you are visiting on a goodwill tour. We are all smiles.

2cat_lady said:

Generic said:
Good to know. I thought of trying to pass as Canadian, but my Arkansas accent would give me away.

2cat_lady said:

Generic said:
Good to know. I thought of trying to pass as Canadian, but my Arkansas accent would give me away.
It's called flagjacking in Canada and many people get upset with it. And to be honest, even people accents close to ours are pretty easy to figure out, uhm, there are things that, uhm, give it away. :)

Back