Virus/Scam Alert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
Just got this email this morning and thought nothing of it. I tried to open the attachment and luckily it did not open. Really, that was my wake-up smack in the face that this maybe wasn't what it appeared to be. Maybe the attachment will affect someone else's computer even though it didn't mine. Just wanted to FYI -
Hello,
I have made a reservation at Blah Blah B&B one month ago and i would like to cancel it.
Please cancel the reservation if it's possible.
I have also sent you the confirmation of my reservation in case you need it.
Thanks
Looking for your answer.

I have been getting this for a few weeks. Since I do not have reservations weeks in advance (usually - not these days anyway) I have just been deleting them. Would have posted a warning had I thought others were getting them. Sorry.
I get so much spam/scam e-mail that I may have deleted a real one once in a while but better that than to screw up my computer.

NEVER OPEN AN ATTACHMENT from someone you dont know...grrrrr.
True, but many people trying to book may not be well known. Suppose would not hurt to have cheapie or Linux computer for that purpose.

True, but many people trying to book may not be well known. Suppose would not hurt to have cheapie or Linux computer for that purpose.
why would anyone wanting to book send an attachment? and, thousands of innkeepers are not going to do linux. after all thestuff we talk about here, i would think folks could spot a scam email by now.

why would anyone wanting to book send an attachment? and, thousands of innkeepers are not going to do linux. after all thestuff we talk about here, i would think folks could spot a scam email by now.
They are wanting ti cancel and are attaching a copy of the "reservation & confirmation"

They are wanting ti cancel and are attaching a copy of the "reservation & confirmation"
oh, like you dont have their information!

EmptyNest said:
You have exceptional scam radar. Some folks are just learning. (Believe me. They call me!)

EmptyNest said:
I don't when they did not have a reservation to start with - and the B & B they listed was not mine. I think they are appealing to innkeepers to "help" them resolve an issue with a B & B that they are not able to make contact with. THAT is how they are suckering the opening of the attachment - here are the details for you to tell them about.

EmptyNest said:
Gomez would open it. He doesn't know how to read the header to find the email and source info. Because there's not enough info to figure out out, he'd click. I hate when he uses my computer.

EmptyNest said:
Gomez would open it. He doesn't know how to read the header to find the email and source info. Because there's not enough info to figure out out, he'd click. I hate when he uses my computer.
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
My DH would have opened it as well. That is why he doesn't handle the business email addie.

I've been getting these. The giveaway is that the attachement is usually a .zip or .exe file, although it can be a .doc

I've been getting these. The giveaway is that the attachement is usually a .zip or .exe file, although it can be a .doc.
Yes, watch out for .zip files; and definitely NO to .exe files! I wonder, can viruses be transmitted in .pdf files?

Back